Author Topic: The 2004 WB Pilot  (Read 21562 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The 2004 WB Pilot
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2005, 02:19:47 PM »
I forgot to respond to your post concerning your interpretation of tv critic Mark Dawidziak's pre-screening commentary. It should be remembered that he was scheduled to go on 7:00pm that night. I was told that immediately following that presentation he was suppose to attend a personal event. The fact that he graciously waited two hours (until 9:00pm.) to get the chance to present the pilot should be appreciated. In addition, I was told that the Fest only once told him what was going on in that two hour delay. I think we should all thank him for even showing up and for being a supporter of DS. I also did not find anything he said objectionable. Just my thoughts.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2005, 07:15:46 PM »
I won't presume to speak for Stuart, but I know for myself I thought that Dawidziak did make some prejudicial remarks before the screening that might have been best left until after everyone had had a chance to see the entire pilot for themselves and to make up their own minds. I realize that perhaps due to the 2 hour delay Dawidziak felt that he wasn't going to be able to make them afterward so he made them beforehand because he wanted to share his opinions, which, presumably, was why he was hosting the screening in the first place. But at the same time, certain of his opinions could have influenced some people at the screening to look on various aspects of the pilot in a way that they otherwise might not have. Though I will concede that his remarks didn't influence everyone because after the screening I spoke with several fans who, like myself, totally disagreed with some of the things Dawidziak had said.

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2005, 08:22:29 PM »
Yeah, that's pretty much my feelings too...  It presented instances of opinion as fact, which isn't particularly helpful or necessary. It's all very well summing up with "make up your own mind", but preceding that with a bullet-point list of personal bugbears pretty much renders that null, because that's not what the audience is being invited to do at all.

Delays don't really excuse this at all. There is a big difference between introduction and instruction.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2005, 08:55:29 PM »
Yeah, that's pretty much my feelings too...  It presented instances of opinion as fact, which isn't particularly helpful or necessary. It's all very well summing up with "make up your own mind", but preceding that with a bullet-point list of personal bugbears pretty much renders that null, because that's not what the audience is being invited to do at all.

Delays don't really excuse this at all. There is a big difference between introduction and instruction.

Well I certainly will not act as Dawidziak's agent. lol That being said I am not sure what you wanted him to say during his introduction. Prior to his comments we all knew that he is a supporter of DS and that he was invited by DCP to present the pilot. He did state facts such as the WB now realize that they were wrong to pass on the DS pilot especially in light of the fact that the horror genre is back on tv this fall. Irregardless, I am an independent thinker and I would not be swayed by whatever he said prior to the screening of the pilot. I would hope that there were other independent thinkers in the audience as well. I just think it was nice that he came to the Fest. I don't believe he intentionally tried to influence how the audience should view the pilot.  I don't think he did any harm.

Offline Fletcher

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2005, 01:51:40 AM »
What can anyone tell us about the Old House?  How did it look on the outside?  I understand the entire exterior was computer generated.  So -- how did it look?  Did it resemble the original in any way?

How about the interior?  Tell us about it.  Give us a "full report."

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2005, 05:17:42 AM »
I was able to see roughly the first 30 minutes of the pilot before I had to leave.  What I saw I liked and would make a few minor changes. David, Roger, Liz, Vicki, Willie, Kelly and Carolyn can stay. I was unimpressed with Joe and would like to see a guy who looked like he could do a hard days labor but still be attractive to a Carolyn type.  In addition to recasting Joe, I would change Barnabas, Dr. Hoffman and Sophie. Vicki supposedly has some background in psychology which seems odd. Despite perhaps being a tad young to be so experienced, she was definitely an asset.  She's definitely a keeper.  Loved David's character!

The actor playing Dr. Hoffman is totally wrong. I don't know why, but I just don't care for her. I just can't imagine her getting even a itty bitty drop of blood or guts on her immaculate looks and finger nails. Barnabas is too short! Barnabas needs to be imposing and tall.  A man who catches your eye and attracts you too him.  He needs to be elegant but not too refined because afterall he lived hundres of years ago while American was still finding its way as far as fashion, society, etc. While I don't remember the Sophie character I'd like to suggest that she be a little more conversative and provide balance for the younger characters.  I picture her as a salt of the earth type character who is the glue that keeps the house running while Roger and Liz deal with each other and the rest of the family and acquaintances. I see her as an employee who knows a lot about what's going on and can handle it.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2005, 04:47:31 PM »
Just a line to say many thanks to MB for that fascinating exegesis on the pilot.  It does sound like an amazing bit of film.  I like your description of the touch, so reminiscent of Dracula, of Barnabas hanging upside down on the outer wall of Collinwood--magnificently Gothic.

The articles I saw around the time of the pilot's rejection made it pretty clear that the series was caught in the cross-fire of some sort of political upheaval among the suits at the WB.  They made all that hoo-ha about switching away from dramatic series and into the "reality" sludge.  I don't follow it enough to know whether they made a volte-face on that decision but they certainly do seem to be still pumping out the sudsy teen soap operas (my housemate is a Smallville addict and I often spot the latest commercials for those endless, glossy things).   Anyhow, regardless of the statements made by various suits, it was pretty clear to me--if ANYTHING is clear in Horrorwood--that the rejection of DS had everything to do with upper-echelon executive politics, and NOTHING to do with the quality of the actual product, which sounds quite respectable.

On an unrelated topic, I wonder whether the Lost in Space pilot has been screened at the LIS convention and whether it turned out to be as good as the DS pilot.  Odd about both those shows coming so close to revival in the same year.

goodbye-ee-ee,

G.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2005, 12:53:52 PM »
I've been talking up the pilot with a number of people and there is definitely a lot of interest in a DVD of it. Does anyone think that there is any plan to release a DVD of the pilot? Who actually owns the rights to it besides DCP?
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline McTrooper

• NEW ASCENDANT
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
    • Fan Made Lego Comics - Clay and Dona
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2005, 02:35:14 PM »
Well, the market is definitely looking up for Dark Shadows.  I mean I actually saw a few classic DS DVD collections at Best Buy once.
A DVD of the 1991 version is going to be released soon.

I'm not an expert at this, but I think this primes the market for Dark Shadows stuff.

If they do a cost-benefit-analysis and think they can make a profit of a DVD of the 2004 pilot I think we might see it sometime in 1 to 3 years.

Though someone here posted the idea of using the 2004 pilot as a pilot for another try at a new series, so . .
Barnabas: Your hair smells like mint today.
Julia: Yeah, I gargled today.
Barnabas: Huh???!!!!

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2005, 03:30:57 AM »
Stumbled across this blog entry from Tuesday by critic/commentator Ed Martin that might be of interest:

Dark Shadows Failed Pilot Generates Buzz at Fan Festival

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2005, 04:01:21 AM »
that might be of interest

Definitely of interest. It's a nice change to read some positive Internet spin for the pilot, as opposed to what we were getting last year. Thanks so much for sharing the link.  :)

I still have quite a few more things that I want to post about it. Hopefully soon.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2005, 11:33:01 AM »
Doesn't a review like that make you want to beat someone senseless for failing to get the show on the air?   [90d1]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2005, 03:40:57 PM »
Angelique Dupres??  Oh Dear.

Don't tell me that in this version, Angelique turns out to be Josette's bastard sister, sired by Andre on a sugar plantation slave with magical powers of her own...

That final scene does sound hilarious.  But still not as hilarious as the cover for the new DS 1991 DVD.

Perhaps it should be retitled Goodbite, Moon?? *shrieeek*!

G.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2005, 05:13:26 PM »
She's not called Angelique 'Dupres' in the pilot. That's a mistake from the writer of the article.
The pilot only refers to her as Angelique in dialogue and in the script as well.

BUT, oddly enough, the big blooper in this year's VENGEANCE AT COLLINWOOD at the Fest was that the script has her constantly referred to as 'Angelique DuPres.' Caused much quizzical looks and head scratching during the drama, I can tell you.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2005, 06:23:10 PM »
Perhaps it should be retitled Goodbite, Moon?? *shrieeek*!

Rainey HOWLS laughing......[lghy]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas