Author Topic: The 2004 WB Pilot  (Read 21587 times)

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The 2004 WB Pilot
« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2005, 09:10:38 PM »
No way Curtis could have pulled the plug. It was up to the network- they licensed the rights and paid Curtis and provided the budget for the pilot...

That'd be like the cabbage deciding to sell the refrigerator because it didn't like sitting next to the eggs and tomatoes.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2005, 09:14:20 PM »
That'd be like the cabbage deciding to sell the refrigerator because it didn't like sitting next to the eggs and tomatoes.
[lghy] [laughing4] [stfl]
Brilliant!!
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2005, 09:19:31 PM »
Showing outtakes would be a major faux pas and would get the fest runners in deep trouble with several actors and creative people's lawyers. That kind of thing has to be approved by the talent and it would make the network look bad for not protecting the talent, so there would be network repercussions also.

It's unknown how far the Eletronic Press Kit presentation (with interviews etc. that were shot on the 'Old House' interior set at the LA Theater) got in the production chain and whether they were actually edited together into anything presentable. (At that time Hu and Roberts weren't hired yet so they wouldn't have recorded interviews either.)

That said, all that material is vaulted at Warners and it'll be a cold day in hell before you'll see that material released or shown at a fest.

If TPTB decide that the pilot should be released on DVD (and that in itself would be a miracle unparalleled) then they'd probably make use of those bonus interviews.

I'd love to see them, but I don't think you'll be seeing them any time soon.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2005, 09:30:42 PM »
That said, all that material is vaulted at Warners and it'll be a cold day in hell before you'll see that material released or shown at a fest.

I would think they would realize what a pre-existing audience they have for it.  Since they spent all lthe money to make it, with it coming to  nothing, it would seem reasonable for them to capitalize on it and issue the DVD.  Perhaps someone should start a campaign to let them know how interested we are in seeing it.

Edit - perhap I should clarify that I'm talking about a DVD of the main show, although, I assume if they did that some of these other materials would be included.
Josette

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 04, 2005, 09:35:52 PM »
I completely disagree that Michael Roberts' Sheriff Patterson was in any way racist in any way shape or form.

I didn't find him bumbling at all. I found him a warm, friendly hometown Sheriff, a wonderful contrast to the cold stiff portrayal by Michael Cavanaugh in the 91 series.

For the Sheriff who is destined to be an antagonist to Barnabas, making him disarmingly friendly and likable would do wonders down the line to create real drama. If you have two characters who your audience is invested in and you have them trying to kill each other it can become unbearably tense, and wonderfully gripping.

I didn't find him stupid at all, just a nervous laugh at what he thought was a ridiculous, out of left field suggestion, (Carolyn being bitten by a person for their blood) and his disturbed reaction to Kelly's body having the same marks later on gave the audience an appreciative frisson as we could feel him and Julia would be investigating it further, in the traditional, "Watson, the game's afoot" type way.

Offline Fletcher

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 04, 2005, 10:51:35 PM »
My interpretation Verheiden's comments regarding the "time travel" issue, is that he said he "preferred" not to handle the telling of Barnabas's history through time travel, but that Curtis was still pushing for it to be handled in his traditional way.  So, it seemed to me that this decicision was still up in the air.  Perhaps I misinterpretted.

Also, I seem to remember some interview with somebody (Verheiden?), where it was suggested they might tell Barnabas's history through memories and flashbacks,  rather than actually having someone (Vicki) go back in time.  Had this been the case, then the casting concerns remain.

Additionally, even if they had told the entire initial (Barnabas/vampire) storyline without any flashbacks, memories, or time travel, they would have moved on to other story-arcs (Quentin for instance) where this decision would need to be pondered again.

Somehow, I can't imagaine a successful incarnation of Dark Shadows with no time travel stories, EVER.  Especially if the show had been successful and ran for seven or eight years.

As I mentioned, I could be wrong about this.  Just my interpretation of what I have heard and read.  And admittedly, the information flow was sketchy.

So, I guess my point is -- I would still be concerned (for the same reasons) about Hu's casting.

Offline FireRose

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2005, 12:06:55 AM »
No way Curtis could have pulled the plug. It was up to the network- they licensed the rights and paid Curtis and provided the budget for the pilot...

Depends on whether the contract they had was completely decided upon are an open ended contract.

My interpretation Verheiden's comments regarding the "time travel" issue, is that he said he "preferred" not to handle the telling of Barnabas's history through time travel, but that Curtis was still pushing for it to be handled in his traditional way. So, it seemed to me that this decicision was still up in the air. Perhaps I misinterpretted.

See I also got this same impression that Dan Curtis wasn't going to let his original concept of the show be done away with.

If it was an open ended contract. Then Dan Curtis could still have been the one to cause the show not to be picked up due to his ideas and the networks ideas not meshing together. It could have been creative differences at work. So technically Dan Curtis could still have been involved in the plug being pulled.

FireRose

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2005, 12:12:40 AM »
I really have to say that I am all for the remake, rather then a next generation thing. A next generation thing wouldn't have much to go on. Unless they cast Ben Cross and the 1991 company again. I couldn't imagine Dark Shadows without Barnabas, and having a next generation show with a new actor playing Barnabas would not cut it IMO.

I meant a "next generation thing" which would ignore the whole 1991 series!  Certainly, I would have done the re-make with Barnabas.  Sorry if that wasn't clear...

Okay, but who would play Barnabas? Someone who sort of looks like Jonathan Frid? Someone with a possible different look? How about the other characters?

If you had never seen Dark Shadows, how are the writers to make these characters interesting to you? As a continuing story you have to know what is being continued. These character might be interesting to those of us who have already seen Dark Shadows, but for new viewers how are the writers to hook them?

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 05, 2005, 12:48:59 AM »
See I also got this same impression that Dan Curtis wasn't going to let his original concept of the show be done away with.

If it was an open ended contract. Then Dan Curtis could still have been the one to cause the show not to be picked up due to his ideas and the networks ideas not meshing together. It could have been creative differences at work. So technically Dan Curtis could still have been involved in the plug being pulled.

FireRose

Is it possible that a producer could have made such a deal. Absolutely.
All kinds of deals are made everyday in Hollywood, but you've got to have real clout to ask for that which he doesn't and didn't have. Also, even if he wanted to cancel the show purely because he didn't like it, he'd have to be a complete rube. Who would toss away the possibility of millions of dollars of revenue from a prime time television show out of 'good taste'?

Certainly not Curtis.

Curtis is a producer first and foremost and making money is his primary concern.

Anyhow, I'm not speculating. I'm telling you exactly how it is from what I know.

Curtis had no power in the decision to kill the potential new DS series. Neither did Verheiden. It was all on the network execs. While Wells could have campaigned within the WB to re-film or re-work the pilot, according to Garth Ancier he didn't. (That said, Ancier's quotes have proved a bit foggy in relation to the truth so how true that last is is up to speculation.)

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 05, 2005, 01:18:25 AM »
Sorry if these make me come off like a know-it-all. 8)

I'm not trying to do that at all. I was luckily at a unique viewpoint during the pilot production and simply want to give you guys a better view of the processes, the thinking and what actually went on.  :o

Without getting into to much trouble, of course. ;)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2005, 02:15:56 AM »
Sorry if these make me come off like a know-it-all.

Not at all. There's a difference between someone who's showing off and someone who's simply sharing facts. Your posts fall into the latter category.  :)

I was luckily at a unique viewpoint during the pilot production and simply want to give you guys a better view of the processes, the thinking and what actually went on.

Without getting into to much trouble, of course.

And it's much appreciated.  ;)

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2005, 02:40:45 AM »
I completely disagree that Michael Roberts' Sheriff Patterson was in any way racist in any way shape or form.

Agreed...  It's no more valid than saying Roger is a racist reflection on the white community.  I liked the pilot's take on the role a great deal - he projects unquestionable decency and intregrity, but is clearly massively out of his depth.  Patterson in the 1991 show was a total cypher and a thankless role.  You don't get any sense of who he is, whether he has family, friends - anything!?!  The 2004 Patterson gives the audience so much more - I get a real sense of a wife-and-kids guy driven by rugged values, who's never had to question any of his outlooks or beliefs...  until now.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline wes

• THIS SPACE FOR RENT
  • Junior Poster
  • My Journey is Beginning
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2005, 03:23:11 AM »

I didn't find him bumbling at all. I found him a warm, friendly hometown Sheriff, a wonderful contrast to the cold stiff portrayal by Michael Cavanaugh in the 91 series.

For the Sheriff who is destined to be an antagonist to Barnabas, making him disarmingly friendly and likable would do wonders down the line to create real drama. If you have two characters who your audience is invested in and you have them trying to kill each other it can become unbearably tense, and wonderfully gripping.

I didn't find him stupid at all, just a nervous laugh at what he thought was a ridiculous, out of left field suggestion, (Carolyn being bitten by a person for their blood) and his disturbed reaction to Kelly's body having the same marks later on gave the audience an appreciative frisson as we could feel him and Julia would be investigating it further, in the traditional, "Watson, the game's afoot" type way.

It's interesting to hear your take on the 2004 Sheriff -- I was very glad to see a Black actor as Patterson... then wondered if they were making him "comic relief."  I got the impression, perhaps wrongly, that Patterson was ridiculous.  I would have to see the pilot again, but can see your points/description (...the game's afoot") as a reasonable take on the character.  Still, I would have made some different character/casting choices... and those decisions are not mine to make.

I agree about the 1991 Sheriff.  The actor can be wonderful... I just didn't like Patterson played that way.  I like the Dana Elcar model.

Offline wes

• THIS SPACE FOR RENT
  • Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2005, 03:46:25 AM »
Also, I seem to remember some interview with somebody (Verheiden?), where it was suggested they might tell Barnabas's history through memories and flashbacks,  rather than actually having someone (Vicki) go back in time.  Had this been the case, then the casting concerns remain.

So, I guess my point is -- I would still be concerned (for the same reasons) about Hu's casting.

I am only GUESSING, but I don't think Hu would be playing a Natalie duPres role.  They could create an "exotic companion-to-Josette character" for Hu to play.  The character could be re-written for another actor, in my opinion.  There is no need to follow original casting patters, either; someone else could play Natalie.

I think they would have done the flashback, but differently.

I wish there was more of Kelly as Julia to judge.  She doesn't have much to do... She doesn't stand-out as either "the bomb" or "a bomb."

Offline wes

• THIS SPACE FOR RENT
  • Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 05, 2005, 04:05:47 AM »

Okay, but who would play Barnabas? Someone who sort of looks like Jonathan Frid? Someone with a possible different look? How about the other characters?

If you had never seen Dark Shadows, how are the writers to make these characters interesting to you? As a continuing story you have to know what is being continued. These character might be interesting to those of us who have already seen Dark Shadows, but for new viewers how are the writers to hook them?

I would have had a grown-up David "return" to Collinwood with his new wife (a Vicki-type character. David's first wife is thought to have died mysteriously).  The new Mrs. Collins must become an instant mom to a troubled tyke...  Naturally, mysteries ensue...

I would have recast the "immortals":  Barnabas, Angelique, Quentin... they could be "lookalikes" as you suggest, or not.  I don't think an actor HAS to look like the prior role player.  Some of the original cast could play their roles... Nancy Barrett as a Liz-type, etc...

That being said... I still liked the 2004 pilot.