Author Topic: The 2004 WB Pilot  (Read 21569 times)

Offline wes

• THIS SPACE FOR RENT
  • Junior Poster
  • My Journey is Beginning
    • View Profile
Re: The 2004 WB Pilot
« Reply #105 on: October 05, 2005, 04:14:16 AM »
Sorry if these make me come off like a know-it-all.

That's not the impression I got.

Anyway, the more you know, the better!

Offline FireRose

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 05, 2005, 07:25:15 AM »
Sorry if these make me come off like a know-it-all. 8)

I'm not trying to do that at all. I was luckily at a unique viewpoint during the pilot production and simply want to give you guys a better view of the processes, the thinking and what actually went on.  :o

Without getting into to much trouble, of course. ;)

I don't think you are a know it all. It just seems that there is abit more going on in the background than TPTB are revealing. I understand what you are saying. But I would love to have read the contract Dan Curtis and the WB signed. I can't quite figure out why they didn't at least complete it since they were so close to completion. It is abit interesting that they went as far as they did and then decided we no longer want it. Did Dan Curtis bring it to the WB as an idea for a remake or did the WB contact him? Just curious.

FireRose

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 05, 2005, 04:25:03 PM »
Did Dan Curtis bring it to the WB as an idea for a remake or did the WB contact him? Just curious.

Neither, actually. It's my understanding that John Wells approached DC about redoing DS, and when DC agreed, Wells pitched it to the WB.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 05, 2005, 06:25:49 PM »
A gay doc as straight Barnabas' ally would'ive worked very well, too.  There are so many possibilities with the DS property... what a loss we aren't seeing them!

Now THAT would have been very interesting!  I would have liked seeing how 18th century Barnabas dealt w/the issue of homosexuality in the 21st century.  That could have been very interesting indeed!   :)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 05, 2005, 07:00:13 PM »
I really don't like the idea of re-making DS endlessly; rather, I would take the "Next Generation" approach.

I feel the same way basically, let's see something NEW!   Having said that, I do agree w/the poster who said unless one is a DS fan like we are from the get go, how do you hook a new audience.  I must say, if they MUST do yet another re-make, this was the way to do it!!

I really hope they show it again at the Fest in Brooklyn next August as I'd like to see it again and also would like others who weren't in LA to have the opportunity to see it.  It really should be shared.   ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 05, 2005, 07:05:38 PM »
Sorry if these make me come off like a know-it-all. 8)

I'm not trying to do that at all. I was luckily at a unique viewpoint during the pilot production and simply want to give you guys a better view of the processes, the thinking and what actually went on.  :o

Without getting into to much trouble, of course. ;)

I am pretty sure 99% of the cousins here are thrilled to have you inform us on the behind the scenes stuff to bring a touch of reality to all of the speculating we do. Having you provide us with confirmed information enhances this board and separates us fom other discussion boards. I am sure the people here are very appreciative anytime you provide us with DS information. I know I do. Thanks. Jim

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #111 on: October 05, 2005, 07:39:48 PM »

Sorry if these make me come off like a know-it-all.

Not at all.  I really enjoy reading your very informative posts.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 05, 2005, 10:39:29 PM »
I am pretty sure 99% of the cousins here are thrilled to have you inform us on the behind the scenes stuff to bring a touch of reality to all of the speculating we do.of reality to all of the speculating we do.

Only 99%?! :o

I won't live until I've converted that last 1%! ;D

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 06, 2005, 12:22:13 AM »
Only 99%?! :o

I won't live until I've converted that last 1%! ;D

Well as the song goes ,"You can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself". lol

Offline Fletcher

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 06, 2005, 10:44:30 PM »
Is it true that, in the 2004 pilot, the Old House appears larger and more opulent than Collinwood?  And if so, was this explained in any way?

Also, how far did Barnabas get with his renovation of the Old House, within the one-hour pilot?

How would you describe the exterior shots of the Old House?

I guess those of us who haven't seen the pilot, are curious about these sorts of details.  Thanks

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #115 on: October 14, 2005, 10:33:17 AM »
Is it true that, in the 2004 pilot, the Old House appears larger and more opulent than Collinwood?  And if so, was this explained in any way?

Collinwood looks much bigger in the episode - the exterior is digitally extended in a couple of shots and we see several rooms along the way. The Old House we see a little of - mainly a large reception hall and staircase and Josette's room. It doesn't necessarily look more opulent - it looks more European, though, with a Renaissance vibe running through the decor; Collinwood has more of a manor house feel.  The Old House exterior is based on a French chateau, and is much smaller than the main mansion.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 14, 2005, 09:50:28 PM »
Thanks so much for the discription of the Old House Stuart. I wish that I'd been able to be at the fest to see the pilot. I agree with Fletcher that those of us who haven't seen the pilot thirst after every thing we can get in way of information about it. So would everyone who saw it please give in depth, their feelings and observations about it?

Thanks,
Misa

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 14, 2005, 10:10:56 PM »
Personally, I'd rather go on hoping against hope that it's going to be shown again at the 2006 Fest and that I'll be there to see it, and judge for myself.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 14, 2005, 11:37:00 PM »
I looked through my architecture books, and the house that I came across that people might be most familiar with that came closest to resembling what the Old House looked like is Biltmore, located in Asheville, North Carolina:

The Old House wasn't anywhere near on the grand scale that Biltmore is, but it was all very much spires and pinnacles.

As for the pilot being shown again at the 40th Fest, I really hope it will be. I'd love to get the chance to see it again - and I'd especially like to see other fans get the opportunity to see it because it really should be seen by as many fans as possible. But according to Shadowgram Update #138's DS Fest "Hollywood Weekend" Report: "The 2004 DS pilot for the WB was shown in an exclusive one-time-only screening." I suppose all we can do is hope that something can and will be worked out to show it again...

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 15, 2005, 01:22:01 AM »
quote from MB
I looked through my architecture books, and the house that I came across that people might be most familiar with that came closest to resembling what the Old House looked like is Biltmore, located in Asheville, North Carolina:

uh....nice digs...

Patti...who wouldn't want to have to keep that house clean!

What a Woman!