Author Topic: July 2013 DS Cast Reunion at Lyndhurst  (Read 11945 times)

Offline Karlenfan

• No..sleep..til..BROOKLYN!
    • View Profile
Re: July 2013 DS Cast Reunion at Lyndhurst
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2013, 09:22:59 PM »
But as for this event, I really wish them luck, particularly because they come across as a group that's willing to celebrate/showcase many different versions of DS. And well, if it really is the case that they've advertised Monica Rich's attendance without having all the i's dotted and the t's crossed, well, that's really no different than the dozens of times the Fest has done similar things.

Thank you MB..that is exactly what we are trying to do, something different, where all of the DS incarnations are inlcuded.    As for Monica Rich...I can say we were dealing with her representative..and everyone knows how that can go.  Again, any real and related questions can be sent to friendsof91ds@comcast.net
"There's nothing I can do about it!!? Nothing!! NNNNOTHING!!!"

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2013, 09:41:09 PM »
I forgot to mention this in my earlier post; I was using the Ipad and typing is so awkward on that "virtual keypad".  I give credit to the planners of the event planners for cancelling last year. They put in the work and tried to get an event together; it didn't gel. They could have kept the money and had the event.  When people showed up, they could have said, "Gee, we're sorry, none of the guests could make it, but we have a great weekend planned for you". That  has actually happened to me. I flew to Louisville, KY to attend a DS event and none of the scheduled guests appeared. It was very disappointing. I'm not sure what happened. If I'm quoted about this please include this point; I am not making any judgments about the planners of the event. Disappointments will occur in life Perhaps it was beyond their control. Perhaps they were amateurs. I am not suggesting that they were dishonest.  They did their best to provide a fun weekend. Still, I'd have been happier if it had been cancelled. People who came from across town, or drove a few hours had a different and more pleasant experience.

My dealings with the Friends of the '91 DS group have been positive, and I am confident that this will come together and be a fun event.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2013, 12:45:35 AM »
Do they '91 Friends have a website?  (Something other than facebook; I don't belong to that.)

Gerard

Offline Karlenfan

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2013, 12:49:47 AM »
Hi Gerard, we do not have a website..but if you have any questions or would like a copy of the flyer, please email friendsof91ds@comcast.net

Offline Karlenfan

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2013, 12:59:59 AM »
I give credit to the planners of the event planners for cancelling last year. They put in the work and tried to get an event together; it didn't gel. They could have kept the money and had the event.  When people showed up, they could have said, "Gee, we're sorry, none of the guests could make it, but we have a great weekend planned for you".

Thank you...we didn't think it was fair when things fell apart with the actors and even some of the staff, to continue.  We want everyone who attends to enjoy themselves.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2013, 11:46:08 AM »
i'm not trying to stir the pot but I do have another question about this event...

what kind of permission is needed, and from whom, to hold a formal event under the DS banner? I would have thought jim pierson and "the fest" had all the rights surrounding it. I mean this isn't just some fans going to someone's house and watching some dvds.

it sounds like a full fledged, for-profit(although some funds are going to the Lyndhurst charity)event that functions almost as "competition" to the official fest gathering. granted with this year's format being a cruise lots of fans have been priced out but if it was an ordinary hotel bound fest would this event be allowed to take place?

doesn't the fest have the rights to screen the series and films? the actors are being advertised using the character's names. who owns the rights to those names? isn't there different ownerships between the OS and the 91 version?

i'm just curious as to how this event was granted the rights to all of this?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2013, 01:57:47 PM »
I can't speak to formal letters of the law, but I've been going to conventions all of my adult life. Except for the ones run by Creation, most of them were spontaneious events generated by fans for fans. First a question, where did you hear that this event was for profit? I've not heard that. But aside from that, the original festivals were not run with the express approval of Dan Curtis Productions, neither were their predecessors, the Shadowcons. The early Star Trek cons were all done by people who love the show.

As for this even competing with the festivals, I don't see it that way. In the 80s I went to every event I could. If that meant going to a Manhattan Shadows, a DS Festival, a DS Fellowship Fair (Louisvile, KY), and even an LA DS fan club event (which I combined with a trip to Vegas), I'd go. I'll continue to go to Festivals AND Friends of DS, if they continue and things go well. The only factor for me will be timing. I have a family now and can't afford to fly out for everything. I try to make DS events work with my trips to Newport RI. This year I happen to be on the East Coast for this event. Next year, if I can work it, I'll go to a festival. One year I went to a Manhattan Shadows event one week and to the very first festival the next!  No competition.

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2013, 02:02:43 PM »
Oh, at the very first Manhattan Shadows, I met Ann Wilson. She was passing out flyers for the DS Fest which was happening the next weekend.  One of the planners asked if Joe Lilley knew she was doing that. The answer was yes and he was fine with it. His zine promoted the festival and the festival oriented zines also covered his event. There was a feeling of cooperation, not competition.  We were all DS fans sharing the love for our show. I welcome the idea of having new events to celebrate it, especially since so many fans are disappointed this year by the lack of a traditional festival this year. It sounds win-win to me.

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2013, 02:42:50 PM »
I have no wish to "stir the pot" either, but I'm curious why there's so much opposition to this event. I'm sure if the Curtis estate has a legal gripe, they'll exercise it if and when they choose to do so. Most cultish franchises have events that are fan oriented, so I'd be surprised and dismayed if they objected, but I guess they have the right to do so if they choose. But I'm wondering why certain fans are so concerned.  Is itout of loyalty to the Dark Shadows Festival group?  If so, I would advise you not to worry. As long as there are DS fans, there'll be demand for a DS Festival. Is it out of concern that Dan Curtis Productions might not get precious royalties off of it?  If so, let me assure you, this show that was supposed to play once and then go into TV obvlivion has been sold over and over in syndication, VHS and DVD releases, a series in '91, and now a major motion picture. This event will only increase awareness of the shows not decrease it. I think the positive effect will be minimal though; only 300 peope maximum will be allowed to attend. How many tickets were sold to the DS movie?  I hope the Friends of 91 DS event happens and is successful. I'm not attending the Doctor Mabuse event.  It's on the wrong coast for me and conflicts with work. I hope that is extraordinarily successful too and that everyone there has a blast. I'm excited about the movie.  I also plan to attend as many DS events as I can in the coming years whether they are put on by the DS Festival group or someone else.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2013, 02:47:11 PM »
pierson seems like he runs a tight ship. i'm just surprised he's cool with this.

it might be a "win-win" for the fans indeed but from a business point of view is in direct competition with the official "fest". I'm sure lots of fans who were on the fence about the cruise have opted out because there is another full scale fan gathering attended by members of the cast.

the fest is not an informal fan gathering or a charity event but a business enterprise that needs to remain commercially viable for it to continue. so again i'm surprised TPTB are going for this.

from a money making point of view the 1991 series is virtually worthless. it's just twelve episodes on a one dvd collection. I picked it up for fourteen dollars. meanwhile the OS is an endless cash cow at 1200+ episodes. so from start to finish I've probably spent thousands of dollars at mpi. so while I can see TPTB allowing a fan gathering for the 1991 series, which receives virtually no recognition at all in the traditional fest setting, i'm surprised the OS has been merged with this event.

Offline patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2013, 03:22:38 PM »
I'm puzzled why all this hugga mugga about this event somehow needing festival approval. I attended several Collins Assn gatherings sponsored by Ed Lambese that were very similar to this and while the fest didn't exactly approve them, they didn't prevent them. Dark Shadows alumni are entitled to attend whatever fan gatherings or conventions they wish without needing festival approval (especially since the fest does not pay them to attend - if the fest ever did, then they might step in.) Otherwise, as long as copyrighted materials such as dvds or festival sponsored merchandise are not sold there, the fest has no basis to get involved. As to whether or not this gig affects the sponsored cruise, it will sink or swim on its own - this gig has nothing to do with the other - its an alternative event. It sounds like a fun gathering and only wish I had the budget to attend. I do know several of our club members are attending and we will be talking it up to the troops at our club meeting next month. I hope it is successful!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2013, 03:33:35 PM »
I really think i'm the only person to bring it up...

my main complaint in the last couple years is that the gatherings have either been scaled back, changed in format or broken up into lots of little mini events with a fractured guest list. even the "official" event, the cruise, I believe only has 3 or 4 confirmed guests. the traditional fest had over a dozen most years.

I have limited time and money to spend on this enterprise. id rather have one cohesive, full scale event each year than a bunch of broken up ones with random guest lists.

but that's just my take on it. most fans seem pleased with this event.

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2013, 05:24:14 PM »
The last I heard on Facebook the cruise had 100 confirmed (booked) guest according to Arie Boris who is in charge of the event.  I believe he is an employee of the cruise line.  That sounds pretty promising.  I hope all of the events are a huge success.
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline Karlenfan

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2013, 07:23:45 PM »
I don't understand why it seems to be such a terrible thing to want to do something for the fans and for Lyndhurst Estate.  First of all, this is NOT for profit.  As in any event we will have overhead, but beyond that everything goes to Lyndhurst as a charitable donation.  Secondly, DS stars have the right to go to any event they choose.  Thirdly, these events have happened before....one specifically I attended were the Ed Lambese parties and there was no problem with the official "Fest".  I too have attended Festivals...26 of them to be exact, a true fan since 1987.  A cruise was a wonderful idea, but Michael C., it is the Festival that has choosen to do smaller seperate events in the past few years...so if you are displeased with that, you should contact them. 

Thank you to our supporters!  We are just trying to have a fun event that everyone can enjoy!

David

« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2013, 07:35:56 PM »
Karlenfan, if you guys make a little $ off this event, then good for you!
Hard work should be rewarded!