Author Topic: July 2013 DS Cast Reunion at Lyndhurst  (Read 11944 times)

Offline Karlenfan

• No..sleep..til..BROOKLYN!
    • View Profile
Re: July 2013 DS Cast Reunion at Lyndhurst
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2013, 07:56:28 PM »
Thank you David...but that is not our goal.  Lyndhurst is having difficult times in this economy.  We truly love that Estate and would never want it to "go under".  That is why we choose to have the event at Lyndhurst, so we could charitably donate whatever we make to help perserve this Historic Estate.
"There's nothing I can do about it!!? Nothing!! NNNNOTHING!!!"

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2013, 08:39:37 PM »
no there's nothing "terrible" about this event...

and there is nothing "terrible" about asking normal, legitimate questions about it or expressing an opinion. this is a message board after all.

sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Karlenfan

• No..sleep..til..BROOKLYN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2013, 09:28:53 PM »
no there's nothing "terrible" about this event...

I totally agree  [snow_smiley]
"There's nothing I can do about it!!? Nothing!! NNNNOTHING!!!"

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2013, 10:54:16 PM »
Personally, I'm completely against any kind of "fun" or "enjoyment."

Anywhere.  At any time.

Even accidentally.

[snow_smileydevil]

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2013, 03:08:55 AM »
my main complaint in the last couple years is that the gatherings have either been scaled back, changed in format or broken up into lots of little mini events with a fractured guest list. even the "official" event, the cruise, I believe only has 3 or 4 confirmed guests. the traditional fest had over a dozen most years.

I have limited time and money to spend on this enterprise. id rather have one cohesive, full scale event each year than a bunch of broken up ones with random guest lists.

I understand your concern and sympathize. It was mentioned by somene else that the festival events had been getting smaller on their own. I know that certain actors were feeling left out because they weren't invited to the festivals if they happened to be on the opposite coast that year. I have a feeling, and it's not backed up with facts, that the organizers are tired of doing them. That's supposition and could be totally off base.

Any way, I think you were only exercising your rights as a member of this board when you posted. You were respectful and asked reasonable questions. Now that I understand your perspective, I'm able to empathize with your position.  I hope that the festivals continue and eventually bounce back to become bigger events. Perhaps with this year's alternate events, that will happen.   

David

« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2013, 04:08:07 AM »

Anywhere.  At any time.

Even accidentally.

[snow_smileydevil]

Anyone who has fun should be ashamed of themselves! [snow_bigglass]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: July 2013 DS Cast Reunion at Lyndhurst / Added Guests
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2013, 04:46:01 AM »
Greetings Friends of Dark Shadows:

We are happy to announce some additional information for the 2013 Dark Shadows Cast Reunion.

This years Cast Reunion will be held at Lyndhurst Estate in Tarrytown, New York filming location of House of Dark Shadows and Night of Dark Shadows. The dates for this event will be Saturday July 13th, and Sunday July 14th, 2013. The event will be from 10:00 a.m. until 4 p.m. daily. We will be sending out a schedule of events in the coming weeks.

We are please to bring you the following guests from the original series
- Michael Hadge (Buzz) JUST ADDED
- Donna McKechnie (Amanda Harris)
- Sharon Smyth (Sarah Collins)
- Barbara Woronko (Nurse)
- Marie Wallace (Eve/Jenny)
- Donna Wandrey (Roxanne Drew)
- Nick Besink (A/V)
- Henry Plimack (Audio)

From the 1991 Series:
- Roy Thinnes (Roger Collins/Reverand Trask)
- Jim Fyfe (Willie Loomis/Ben Loomis)
- Ely Pouget (Maggie Evans)
- Rebecca Staab (Daphne Collins)
- Steve Fletcher (Deputy Jonathan Harker)
- Apollo Dukakis (Reverend Amos) JUST ADDED

From House of Dark Shadows:
Chip Coffey (Collinwood Guest) JUST ADDED
Chip also is a Psychic Medium from the Television Shows "Paranormal State" and "Psychic Kids". He will be doing readings at the event!!!

And from Night of Dark Shadows:
**Monica Rich (Sarah Castle)

Also JUST ADDED Author Stephen Mark Rainey -
His credits include many horror and sci-fi books as well as Dark Shadows: Dreams of the Dark. He has also written two of the Big Finish Audio Dramas "Blood Dance" and Curse of the Pharoah".

**Celebrities appearances are subject to change or cancellation due to work, family emergencies and illness.

David

« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2013, 06:10:37 AM »
Michael Hadge is best buds with Al Pacino and does a lot of New York theater, I bet he'd have great stories to tell!
So is Monica Rich really attending or not?

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2013, 03:56:21 PM »

Anywhere.  At any time.

Even accidentally.

[snow_smileydevil]

my remarks were directed at certain details of a fan convention. not at any individual(s)at this board...

so while your attempts at sarcasm and mockery are certainly admirable directing them at me isn't really necessary.

but enjoy your little event.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2013, 04:48:15 PM »
The basic thing for me is that any time we can celebrate DS with our friends is a good thing. Life is too short and there is nothing better than celebrating our beloved show in all of its incarnations.

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2013, 04:55:12 PM »
my remarks were directed at certain details of a fan convention. not at any individual(s)at this board...

so while your attempts at sarcasm and mockery are certainly admirable directing them at me isn't really necessary.

but enjoy your little event.

I could be wrong, Michael, but I didn't take Darren's remark that way. As I interpret it, he was lightening the mood. I have a very wry sense of humor, and that's the sort of thing I might say to someone to get a laugh. I often tell my students that I DO NOT ALLOW SMILING IN MY CLASS. Of course they start laughing, and I inform them that if the behavior continues, I'll write them up. i think Darren's remarks were intended in a similar vein, not really directed at you but at the entire board in general. Maybe I'm reading it totally wrong, but that's my take.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2013, 07:15:29 PM »
You are 100% correct, Doctor & K9.  'twas not directed at Michael or anyone else.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2013, 02:19:18 AM »
Wow, Michael Hadge.  I remember many years ago he was going to attend a Festival, but couldn't make it due to scheduling conflicts.

I do hope somebody plays the clip where he utters his immortal line, "if ya feel it... SIT IT!"  Grand stuff.

I was really puzzled last Summer which I expected to be the biggest Festival in fan history due to the Burton/Depp redaction... instead what was done sounded fairly small and intimate.

The fandom started out in the early 1980s with small get-togethers here and there... for instance in the Magique discotheque, if I'm remembering correctly, around 1982--I was not involved with fandom then, but I've seen great photos from that party.  It seems to be ending (or that is what I surmise is happening) with small regionally focused get togethers.

Given this was a daytime drama of the 1960s which has broken every conceivable record (including managing to stay in print on home video for over 20 years... do you know how many entertainment products can match that record? not many at all)--I think the fandom has had a great run. 

I did love Alexandra's suggestion that at some point those of us who are left have a reunion around the ouija board. lol.

G.

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2013, 03:06:30 AM »
The fandom started out in the early 1980s with small get-togethers here and there... for instance in the Magique discotheque, ...

Given this was a daytime drama of the 1960s which has broken every conceivable record (including managing to stay in print on home video for over 20 years... do you know how many entertainment products can match that record? not many at all)--I think the fandom has had a great run.
They started with the Shadowcons in the '70s. They started out fairly small I believe. My guess is that they had fewer than 200 people. The first festival was in'83.

DS held the record number of novels based on a TV show. I don't have absolute proof of this but I can't think of any show that could beat it for many years. Star Trek had very few. It wasn't until the late 70s or 80s that it beat DS. If you count NOVELS only and not novelizations of expisodes, Trek finally beat DS in the 80s. I don't count to Star Trek Log books either; they are based on the animated series. Besides they were mostly novelizations of existing stories any way. The last few expanded a half hour script into a novel length book with mostly new material. Man From UNCLE was second from what I can tell with over 20 books.Again, I haven't checked every single series but as a person who's haunted used book stores, it was uncommon for a series to have 10 novels. I feel fairly certain that DS was unrivaled until the 80s.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2013, 03:30:30 AM »
The first festival was in 1983 in beautiful downtown Newark at the Gateway Hilton (referred to as the Gateway Hilton to hell by some). It was a very small gathering. I think it was just 100 fans in attendance. There were several guests announced, including Donna Wandrey and Lara Parker, but the only one who actually attended was Ron Sproat.
Fade Away and Radiate