Author Topic: July 2013 DS Cast Reunion at Lyndhurst  (Read 11960 times)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: July 2013 DS Cast Reunion at Lyndhurst
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 11:54:39 PM »
Who, or what group, is sponsoring this reunion?

Gerard

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 11:59:43 PM »
Friends of 91 Dark Shadows

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2013, 01:34:21 AM »
I've never heard of this group, MB.  I'm just curious about it.  How does it have the finances to put on such an expansive reunion?  I'm not trying to stir the pot; I just find it curious.

Gerard

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2013, 05:29:37 AM »
It's a fan-based committee that's been around for a few years; the main organizer of this event is a Maryland fan.  You could email your questions:  Friendsof91ds@comcast.net

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2013, 12:36:53 PM »
if I recall they tried to do this last year minus the OS castmembers but it never got off the ground...

maybe with the divisive "cruise" they saw an opportunity to gather fans who usually attend the fest but would not be this year because of the new and expensive format. who knows how the OS cast got involved?

to me it looks like a random hodgepodge of people and a total mess.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Karlenfan

• No..sleep..til..BROOKLYN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2013, 06:25:21 PM »
Being one of the Friends of 91 DS organizers:  I assure you, Michael C., this is neither "Hodgepodge" or a "Total Mess" .  The "B" actors you refered to are generously contributing their time and talents on behalf of charity for Lyndhurst Estates.  You are correct, we attempted this last year but all participants schedules were full.  I suggest you find out about the event before slamming it.  Any questions can be sent to friendsof91ds@comcast.net.
"There's nothing I can do about it!!? Nothing!! NNNNOTHING!!!"

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2013, 07:17:23 PM »
Unfortunately, last year's event did not happen.  I was advised early enough to revise my vacation plans, and my check was returned UNCASHED.  I thought it was very professionally handled.

David

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2013, 07:34:26 PM »
what is so divisive about this cruise? people can either go or not go, no one is forced to do anything.
I was one of about 10 fans who went on Diana Millay's tour of Egypt in 1988--it was WONDERFUL, unforgettable, and hardly divisive.

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2013, 07:38:13 PM »
what is so divisive about this cruise? people can either go or not go, no one is forced to do anything.
I was one of about 10 fans who went on Diana Millay's tour of Egypt in 1988--it was WONDERFUL, unforgettable, and hardly divisive.
That was a great time, David! I also went on the Egypt trip.  I'd go on the DS cruise if it weren't for the timing. I can't take that large a block of time off in October.  I teach school, so if it were happening in the summer, I'd be there.

David

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2013, 07:57:08 PM »
yes you were, Doc! Do you have the group shot of all of us standing in front of the Pyramids? Marge, Mike C, Guy & I posted it on Facebook.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2013, 08:00:28 PM »
Being one of the Friends of 91 DS organizers:  I assure you, Michael C., this is neither "Hodgepodge" or a "Total Mess" .  The "B" actors you refered to are generously contributing their time and talents on behalf of charity for Lyndhurst Estates.  You are correct, we attempted this last year but all participants schedules were full.  I suggest you find out about the event before slamming it.  Any questions can be sent to friendsof91ds@comcast.net.

right or wrong i think we all know who the "golden trinity" of the DS cast is. it's not my assessment but that of fandom in general. the guest list does not include the principles of either series. hence the "b" remark. but i'll not debate it further...

i guess my only other "question" would be as to why monica rich(kosann)is still being listed as a guest? not only is she not attending but, until i mentioned it to her, had actually never even heard of it...

hate to burst any bubbles but she actually thinks "we" are a bit odd. [snow_strange]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

David

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2013, 08:04:26 PM »
many of us are odd! [snow_bigglass]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2013, 08:10:42 PM »
the group shot of all of us standing in front of the Pyramids?

This is getting way OT, but wasn't there an article about the Egypt trip published in The World of DS fanzine? Or at least I seem to recall photos being published of the fans who went.
If I can find that, I'll start a separate topic about it so that it won't be OT to discuss it.  [snow_wink]

But as for this event, I really wish them luck, particularly because they come across as a group that's willing to celebrate/showcase many different versions of DS. And well, if it really is the case that they've advertised Monica Rich's attendance without having all the i's dotted and the t's crossed, well, that's really no different than the dozens of times the Fest has done similar things.

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2013, 08:26:38 PM »
Do you have the group shot of all of us standing in front of the Pyramids? Marge, Mike C, Guy & I posted it on Facebook.

Yes, I believe I do. I'll check my account when I leave work. FB is blocked at school.  I watched some video Guy sent me from that trip the other day. I looked...young....no gray in the beard.  I did not know the meaning of the word "haircut" in those days. Of course I wasn't married either. I wish I'd been able to go to Romania, but I had family respsbilities then.

David

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2013, 08:33:07 PM »
I had a full head of hair then! [snow_grin]