Author Topic: DVD Set 5 flaw on disc 2?  (Read 7205 times)

Offline ksgemini

• Junior Poster
  • Angelique rules
    • View Profile
DVD Set 5 flaw on disc 2?
« on: April 18, 2003, 04:26:38 PM »
Is there anyone else who has this set from MPI yet? I notice a brief pixellation and sound distortion on the last ep of disc 2 before the opening credits when Naomi and Joshua are talking.  I am unsure whether this is a mastering flaw or a defective disc...the VHS tape does not appear to have this...

Offline murph

• Full Poster
  • I love Dark Shadows!!
    • View Profile
Re:DVD Set 5 flaw on disc 2?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2003, 06:20:49 PM »
Can I ask how were you able to receive this set already?  It is my understanding they will not be available to the public until the end of May.

If others say there is a difficulty I guess I'll wait until MPI has fixed the problem before I purchase that set.

Thanks for the heads up.

Murph

Offline ksgemini

• Junior Poster
  • Angelique rules
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2003, 06:42:19 PM »
The general release date is 4/29th but MPI makes them available online about 3 weeks early...I have a feeling it is just my disc and it is a glitch of only about 2 or 3 seconds...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2003, 06:47:55 PM »
Hi KS, if you contact MPI and send it back to them, they will send you a perfect replacement, if it is a glitch in your disc.  I'm sure I had to do this with at least one of my videotapes years ago.

Gothick

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2003, 12:42:31 AM »
Could anyone help me with a technical difficulty?

Although I don't have a DVD player yet, I have purchased about half a dozen DVDs.  Upon opening the box of a couple just to see what they look like (and anxiously anticipating that future day when I'll be able to actually play them), I'm unsure how to remove the disk from the plastic thing that holds them in the center hole.

This is actually the same type of thing with CDs ... and I've never been able to figure out an easy way of lifting these out without bending the disk and yanking!!  Could I damage the CDs or DVD disks?

:o

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline murph

• Full Poster
  • I love Dark Shadows!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2003, 01:37:24 AM »
Hi Vlad,

I pulled out one of my Dark Shadows DVD's and tried it before I replied to this.

I find the easiest way to get the disc out is to press the "button" at the center of the disc.  There is like a button there and when you press down on it on a solid surface the disc pops up easily.  I do the same thing with my cd's.

I hope this helps,

Murph

Offline Raholt

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2003, 04:35:37 AM »
Is there anyone else who has this set from MPI yet? I notice a brief pixellation and sound distortion on the last ep of disc 2 before the opening credits when Naomi and Joshua are talking.  I am unsure whether this is a mastering flaw or a defective disc...the VHS tape does not appear to have this...

I just got my DS set #5 and the same episode as you are talking about does have a glitch in it.  This means it is not a defective disc but a defect in either the master copy of the original material or a defect created while producing this batch of DVD's.  Since both of us have the same thing at the same place, this tell me no matter how many replacements you get they will all have the same defect.

Raholt

Offline ksgemini

• Junior Poster
  • Angelique rules
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2003, 12:08:45 PM »
I wish I knew before I sent it back..Thanks for posting ...I'll know enough to keep the replacement when it comes... Thats the oddest glitch I have ever seen that happened in mastering...eevry other disc like that with pixellation-even very brief- has been a defective...

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2003, 03:30:15 PM »
I hate to say it but MPI has a track record of falling asleep at the wheel when they've copied the master discs (or whatever) to make the DVD's.  I've got several sets of DVDs and thus far there are 2 glitches that don't show up on the tapes. It appears to be something we have to accept since they don't seem to learn from their past experiences. But, having said all that, it is very convenient having the DVD's and not having to rewind anymore! One more thing, I wish they would have the very beginnings of the episodes showing the black board's with dates, etc. on them and the different people standing around in the fringes.  One of my VHS's tapes of the collector's series has Joan Bennett waiting in the wings. It was great!
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Raholt

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2003, 10:47:36 PM »
One more thing, I wish they would have the very beginnings of the episodes showing the black board's with dates, etc. on them and the different people standing around in the fringes.  One of my VHS's tapes of the collector's series has Joan Bennett waiting in the wings. It was great!

If I remember correctly the slates were only included in the Collector Series VHS tapes.  I think they did include it one of the compilations as well because it showed a few of them in color.  The Collector's series was made after the other episodes were released and there was great concern that they would not sell well, not having Barnabas in them so that is why they added that and interviews that they never included in the orginal sets.

Raholt

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2003, 12:57:33 AM »
I love the DVDs. It would be nice to have the slates though. I ordered my copy of DVD Collection 5 on Monday night from amazon.

I recently got a few of the Collectors Series VHS tapes, and since I haven't watched one of the videos in quite some time, I really noticed a great difference between the B&W episodes on DVD and the B&W episodes on VHS. Much much clearer.

Sorta OT: Has anyone tried the free shipping thing on Amazon? Last time I ordered it said it would take longer, yet it arrived 2 days after it shipped, which is much faster than if I paid for S&H. *shrug*

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2003, 02:12:20 AM »
Watching the DVD is like watching the show the first time it aired--and if you, like me, have compared some DVD episodes against the VHS tapes, you'll know what I mean.  The picture on the DVD is far superior to VHS version.

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2003, 04:32:16 AM »
Sorta OT: Has anyone tried the free shipping thing on Amazon? Last time I ordered it said it would take longer, yet it arrived 2 days after it shipped, which is much faster than if I paid for S&H. *shrug*

yes.  i pre-ordered set five and it came today free super saving shipping.  for set four, MPI had not released things timely and that is why it seemed like forever to get here.  but i have the patience to wait if needed only because i'm by nature cheap.  hee hee.

i have the same problem too with episode 392.  captured the offense and am e-mailing it to MPI dvd and see what they say.  i'll report back to the group if i hear anything back.

luv ya.

Offline Raholt

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2003, 05:20:28 AM »
I wish I knew before I sent it back..Thanks for posting ...I'll know enough to keep the replacement when it comes... Thats the oddest glitch I have ever seen that happened in mastering...eevry other disc like that with pixellation-even very brief- has been a defective...

Thank you for mentioning this in the first place.  Because of your post, the first thing I did was go there and look at that scene in that episode and then when I saw that glitch, I knew it was an error done in the copying and not a bad disc.  If it had not been for you post, like you, I would have thought it was a bad disc.

Raholt

Offline Raholt

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2003, 05:26:13 AM »
[i have the same problem too with episode 392.  captured the offense and am e-mailing it to MPI dvd and see what they say.  i'll report back to the group if i hear anything back.

luv ya.

Yes, please do let us know what they say, if anything.  I would be very interested to hear what they have to say about this matter and if they are planning on doing something about it.

Raholt