Author Topic: DVD Set 5 flaw on disc 2?  (Read 7209 times)

Offline ksgemini

• Junior Poster
  • Angelique rules
    • View Profile
Re:DVD Set 5 flaw on disc 2?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2003, 10:06:31 PM »
Well I got my replacement set 5 Unfortunately it came with a loose disc 4 that was scratched beyond belief...sooo...another 6 dollars to send it back-again...Total cost thus far for set 5  -$78.00...BTW glich on ep 392 is on this one also so that is in the master as someone stated previously

Offline Raholt

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2003, 10:46:35 PM »
It is too bad that you could not have just kept the 3 good discs and had them replace the bad one.  That way you would be less likely to have any further problems with them.  Fewer discs in the mail to get damaged.

I think it is shameful that you have to pay to send them back.  The one thing I liked about Columbia House, when I got tapes from them was if I had a problem, they sent me a return mail label and I didn't have to pay a thing for an error that was not my doing.  As it stands now, you are having to pay in total $28.00 more than I paid for mine through Amazon.

Richard Holt

Offline mpi_marketing

• I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2003, 11:17:02 PM »
We apologize for not being available to answer customer questions within this forum for the past few weeks.  We've been working on several projects focused on rewarding loyal Dark Shadows fans with additional bonuses when they purchase MPI products.

Along these lines, we have tentatively planned a web chat with Lara Parker during the week of May 26th to announce several new offerings.

Thank you for making us aware of this technical issue regarding DVD Collection 5.  We are looking into this issue as we speak & will provide feedback on what may have caused any glitches in the master transfer.

Thank you for your patience in the meantime.

MPI Marketing

Offline ksgemini

• Junior Poster
  • Angelique rules
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2003, 11:48:03 PM »
I am trying to have them just send me a disc 4...we'll see ..last time I was told this couldnt be done...at this point I am just starting to lose interest in these releases...

Offline murph

• Full Poster
  • I love Dark Shadows!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2003, 01:42:34 PM »
I just purchased the 5th DVD set.  My set also has the problem stated before, regarding the last episode on the second disc.  The glitch was very noticible and startled me because I was watching it on my surround sound.  My disc not only had a sound glitch but the picture became distorted and there were like "bubbles" on the screen.

Several episodes on at least the first two discs also have some picture quality distortion.  It is on the far left side of the screen and is maybe a quarter inch thick and runs from the top of the screen to the bottom.  It looks like when a video has been played so often and is worn out, that is what the far left side of the screen looks like in these episodes.  It may also be on the third and fourth DVD's, I just haven't had time to look at them.  Has anyone else noticed this problem on their DVD's?  I know it's not my television because it's only a 35 inch.

I'm glad I kept my receipt.

Thanks,

Murph

Offline doombuggy69

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2003, 02:39:14 PM »
Murph,

If you are referring to the "lines" that are on the left hand side of your screen during the episodes on the first two discs, this is not the fault of MPI.  This flaw is on the original master tapes and has always been a problem with the early 1795 episodes.  That same type of "noise" play on the reruns that air on sci fi channel.

Offline murph

• Full Poster
  • I love Dark Shadows!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2003, 04:43:20 PM »
doombuggy69,

Thanks for the clarification.  That's exactly what it is.  I don't have the tapes so I didn't realize that it was a problem with the Master tape.

Thanks again,

Murph :)

Offline ksgemini

• Junior Poster
  • Angelique rules
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2003, 06:18:04 PM »
But...the glitch with the brief pixellation and sound distortion at the beginning of ep 392 is not on my Video tape

Offline ksgemini

• Junior Poster
  • Angelique rules
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2003, 10:41:48 PM »
Just to add to the set 5 story...Mpi did say they were willing to replace just the defective disc so that was very cool of them....

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2003, 11:11:04 PM »
Recieved my DVD 5 today. For some reason these DVDs seem to have a clearer picture than the other ones. Maybe it's just me, or because the color had gotten better by that point. *Shrug* I like the new menus, though not as much as the ones on DVDs 1-3. I didn't like the menu on DVD 4 because it was harder to read werm.

I noticed on the back that while David Henesy appeared in none of the episodes on the disc, he is credited; meanwhile Thayer David, who was in many of the episodes, is not listed on the back. *shrug*

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2003, 01:34:43 AM »
Well, my tale of woe is a bit different.  CDuniverse, which has been super fast to get my DS DVDs to me in the past has not even sent #5 to me yet. When I inquired I was told that they have not received a copy yet to send me. Hmmm, maybe if I wait long enough I will get a corrected set.

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline Raholt

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2003, 02:13:02 AM »
Bette, it sounds like the person who was working at Amazon, who couldn't get set #2 to me, has gone to work for CD Universe.  That was the same excuse that I got, even though other people had gotten shipments from Amazon at that time.  Since that time one time, I have gotten my sets by the day of the release, which I never used to have happen at all.  It was always a few days after the release date.

As for a corrected version, I wonder how long, if ever, that will happen.  There were known gltiches with the VHS versions, one volume in particular and to my knowledge that was never corrected, or if it was, it never made it mass distribution.

Raholt

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2003, 03:26:46 AM »
Bette, it sounds like the person who was working at Amazon, who couldn't get set #2 to me, has gone to work for CD Universe.  That was the same excuse that I got, even though other people had gotten shipments from Amazon at that time.  Since that time one time, I have gotten my sets by the day of the release, which I never used to have happen at all.  It was always a few days after the release date.

I remember that well, Raholt, because I also didn't receive #2 from Amazon even though I had pre-ordered. Then I cancelled my Amazon order and got a copy from CDuniverse right away. Guess I'll have to go back to Amazon now. I hear that MPI is considering a DS DVD club. Think maybe I'll join that if it happens.

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2003, 07:57:36 PM »
i read something on another board about mpi going bankrupt?

Offline mpi_marketing

• I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2003, 09:18:05 PM »
I can assure all DS fans that MPI is definitely not going bankrupt.

On the contrary, we are in the process of expanding our line of product offerings in Dark Shadows as well as other programs.

Any rumors to the contrary have absolutely no basis in fact.  If possible, please contact us at webmaster@mpimedia.com with where you heard this rumor, so we can set the course straight there as well.

Thanks,
MPI