Author Topic: Not As Different As One Would Think  (Read 1251 times)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Not As Different As One Would Think
« on: June 29, 2003, 03:27:09 AM »
Despite most of the same characters living different lives (because of that making-different-choices thing), it appears that over-all, it's not really that different in that particular band of Parallel Time from Normal Time.  Geographical locations are the same.  And even though no mention is made, it seems that history and even current events are pretty much identical.  I mean, no one said anything about America being a British dominion, so I take it that George Washington was the first president of the USA in that time.  And he was probably married to Martha and spent his days in Mount Vernon.

To that end, I think it woulda been kinda interesting to have some of the characters being virtually identical, almost indistinguishable in personality, attitude, lifestyle, etc.  It seems that the one who comes closest to that is, despite a different last name, Amy.  She is similar to the NT Amy in almost every way.  If the two switched places, they could've most likely pulled off a Hailey Mills Marriage Trap thing and had a ball.  Just one or two more characters being the same would've been fun, like Roger or even Mrs. Johnson.  With everyone so different from their NT counterpart, having just a few being identical would've flavored the salad a bit more.

Gerard

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:Not As Different As One Would Think
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2003, 03:46:47 AM »
Despite most of the same characters living different lives (because of that making-different-choices thing), it appears that over-all, it's not really that different in that particular band of Parallel Time from Normal Time.  Geographical locations are the same.  And even though no mention is made, it seems that history and even current events are pretty much identical.
I think that's the part that's 'Parallel'...

I mean, no one said anything about America being a British dominion, so I take it that George Washington was the first president of the USA in that time.  And he was probably married to Martha and spent his days in Mount Vernon.
Very excellent point Gerard :)

To that end, I think it woulda been kinda interesting to have some of the characters being virtually identical, almost indistinguishable in personality, attitude, lifestyle, etc.  It seems that the one who comes closest to that is, despite a different last name, Amy. 

I think Maggie is farely close too....IMHO

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2003, 06:26:26 AM »
C'mon. Parallel time characters are very different. If they weren't, my parallel self wouldn't look and sound like Don Rickles.

--Mark

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2003, 06:06:22 AM »
Hey gang,

I think that there is a bust of Napoleon in the PT hallway.  (And, I'm not talking about Napoleon Solo from "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." or former NY Met ballplayer Danny Napoleon either!)

So, maybe there are similar historical figures in each band of time.  Nevertheless, if I happen to spy a bust of either Kathie Lee Gifford or Orenthal James Simpson outside of PT Angelique's room, I'm outta here!!!

Bob the Bartender, President of the Arnold Stang Fan Club.

PS In Parallel Time, is the silver-haired Eric Lang, the longtime, beloved host of "The Price Is Right"?  ("Portia Fitzsimmons, come on down!!!")

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2003, 03:46:57 PM »
It seems that the one who comes closest to that is, despite a different last name, Amy.
And two of the most different (IMO) are Carolyn and Willie(William). But I'm not surprised since NB and JK are such excellent character actors and can always be counted on to pull off "something completely different".

[pyth]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad