Author Topic: Reporting from Tarrytown  (Read 8738 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Reporting from Tarrytown
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2012, 08:17:12 PM »
Thanks, Amanda, for that report--beautifully written as always, and I always find the stories you choose to share of particular interest.

I never knew that Marie had been in the original production of Gypsy.  I've long regretted that Ethel didn't get to do the film.  Intriguing to learn that Marie's interest in fine art goes back that far.

I guess I'm grateful, vicariously, to Sharon for raising the question about how the Burton/Depp movie polarized the fandom.  I have to say that I feel to a growing degree in a separate camp now from mainstream fandom since to date I have not really cared for any of the attempts to do remakes of DS.  (I make an exception from the original 1970-71 feature films; for one thing, they were done with the same cast, writers, and production unit by and large as the original series.)  I find the topic of the Burton/Depp film a profound bore.  And no, I haven't seen it yet.  I think about seeing it and then think of 99 other things on my list of things to do...

It would be interesting to see the Spencer productions fanvid in its entirety.  I have to confess that apart from Daryl's deliciously over-the-top performance as Julia, the trailer just seemed to lack that "spark" I recall from "Save our cemeteries."  I'd still like to see the entire video.

G.

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2012, 02:20:42 PM »
One of the things I did take note of during the weekend festivities was the lack of checking badges and no one picked up our little blue tickets at the banquet.  I was told going in to keep it out on the table and someone would take it but that never happened.  I tucked mine in my bag before the entree came for a keepsake and not one person asked for it. At Lyndhurst I wore a sweatshirt most of the day and had my badge under that.  No one asked me where it was. At the very end of the day on Sunday as some of the fans were in line for autographs I overheard a women check in to the hotel and ask what was going on.  One of the hotel workers told her a Dark Shadows convention and she asked " Is it free" and he told her Yes!
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2012, 04:10:37 PM »
Regarding the Depp/DS film, given the intense situations that have broken out on Facebook, it was probably an extremely smart move on Sharon Smyth's part that she didn't try in any way to fan the flames between the two camps. Though when the subject of the film came up, one thing that could have been interesting might have been if Pierson had mentioned how really well the film has been consistently doing at the box office for more than the last month. Though maybe he did and no one has yet mentioned that in their reports, or maybe they simply missed him saying it. Pierson often makes remarks that are complete tangents to what's actually going on, so one never knows when he's likely to say something.  [wink2]

On the other hand, it was great to read in the reports that Pierson said the NoDS restoration IS still moving forward.  [clap]

And when it comes to the idea of a DS Fest Cruise, I'm sort of down the middle. I do think it could be fun - but at the same time I'd miss being able to get into the city if the mood struck me, which more often than not it does at some point during the NY Fests. I suppose we'll just have to wait to see if the cruise even materializes before any of us decides to attend.  ;)

As for the reports, links, and photos shared, thanks so much to everyone who has done so. Everything that's been shared has been fantastic!  [thumb]

And speaking of fantastic, I love your new "Collins Clan" avatar, Teresa.  8)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2012, 05:10:03 PM »
other than parker and smyth's brief remarks what was the attitudes about the film at this year's fest anyways???

it's sounding like it barely came up...which is remarkable given that a 100+ million dollar film based on this source material just came out two months ago. i mean scott and parker were IN the darn thing and since it's been released to the public they're no longer bound by confidentiality agreements. didn't they have anything interesting to say? what about pierson?

was there any merchandising other than scott's book? or was the whole thing the elephant in the room? there certainly are many at this board who enjoyed the film, were fans of it in abundance?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2012, 05:56:50 PM »
I agree michael.  It looks from the photos that have been shared as if in at least one major space, the decor of the room was provided by these giant standee posters from the Burton/Depp project.  Amanda's notes about Sharon's remarks are the first I've heard of the movie being explicitly mentioned.

It all seems quite strange...

G.

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2012, 06:27:14 PM »
No , they all  mentioned it and talked about the fact that they know there is a separation of fans who like and dislike the movie.  The area where the chair and big poster board was in a corner.  It may look ominous but wasn't and many enjoyed getting their photo.  Everyone agreed that the movie does not take the place of the original .  Once all the fans were in the same room, seeing the people they have grown to love over the years and listening to what the cast was up to, I think we all just had a good time.  I think it was KLS that said Johnny Depp was very gracious to them and made sure he said in front of the movie crew and other stars that if it wasn't for Jonathan Frid they wouldn't be there. One of the ladies mentioned liking the 1970's clothing in the movie. While it was a smaller crowd and venue it still had some of the aspects of the bigger fest as people came up to a microphone to ask questions, there was merchandise to buy, plenty of time to get autographs, see the house and chat with friends.  So nothing really strange or unusual.  The new movie is such a small part of Dark Shadows regardless if you love it or hate it so I didn't think it would take up too much discussion time.  I did meet many first timers who said they got into the original series once the marketing came out for the new movie.  That is awesome!

As far as Jim Pierson, I did notice that he wasn't running around as much and I actually saw him sit down and eat something.  He was sitting at the registration table at one point just chatting with people and complimented my friend on her outfit.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2012, 06:42:10 PM »
i guess there are different ways of looking at things but i can't consider a 100+ million dollar film, with an a-list cast, that's just been released around the world and seen by millions of people and made many, many millions of dollars a "small part" of dark shadows. at all.

it strikes me as HUGE. which is why it's odd it seems to have gotten so little play at the fest.

i mean what's "bigger" on the DS landscape at the moment? some crappy, juvenile comics? another of lara's awful books? weird.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2012, 07:21:32 PM »
I think somewhere up there Philippe mentioned that Lara alluded to "our little show" and speculated that it would still be remembered--and watched--long after the Burton/Depp behemoth had been relegated to a footnote.

I'm imagining her saying this with one of her catlike smiles...

G.

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2012, 07:23:21 PM »
Nope, definitely was not a huge part at least from what I saw.  I was in and out of the tent quite often enjoying the grounds when it wasn't pouring rain,  taking photos of the house and just taking in the beauty of Lyndhurst so I may have missed some of that part but it wasn't a big topic of conversation while conversing with other fans.  Most just asked one another if they had seen it and their thoughts.  They gave away some small movie posters for the new movie but mine was destroyed by the rain.

I purchased a DVD from MPI ( The beginning  of the series) for $20 and wish I got more, as well as a sweatshirt $15 and t-shirt $10.  There were lots of photos for sale, videos and of course each cast member had their own photos for sale.  Some bobble head dolls seemed to sell quite well.  I looked at some things and wondered  " who would buy that" but then I guess it comes down to one mans trash it another mans treasure. There were some cool t-shirts with the new movie cast but I did not see where they were selling them and thought maybe someone just made them up themselves to sell. 

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2012, 07:28:49 PM »
Also wanted to mention that the food they had available at Lyndhurst was awesome! I had worried about that since I don't eat meat and was pleased to see them setting up grills outside where you could get burgers including a lentil burger, salads with or without grilled chicken, chips and ice cream.  They kept cost down as well .  I ordered the lentil burger, salad and a drink for under $10.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2012, 07:30:55 PM »
interesting. odd but interesting. i'm stunned pierson wasn't plugging the dvd release like nobody's business.

i suppose i shouldn't be that surprised given that the 1991 series is a virtual nonentity within the fest community. it would appear that the whole enterprise concerns itself almost exclusively with the OS.

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2012, 07:47:11 PM »
Here are a few photos from Saturday night at the Doubletree where most seemed to congregate.  The lobby was pretty much a big Dark Shadows living room with many of us lounging around quite comfortably.  There is also a photo of Joan and I ( she is on here I believe) taken after the banquet on Sunday afternoon.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2012, 07:59:25 PM »
It's terrible to say, but one reason the film may have been kept as a low profile was just so that there wouldn't be even the slightest chance of any incidents during the Fest like those that I previously referenced have occurred on Facebook. Most fans do behave civilly toward each other and there's never really been such incidents at a Fest. But then, there's never been a division in fandom to the extent that there has been one over the Depp/DS film. There were certainly people who loved the '91 DS and those who didn't. And it's only natural for fans to voice their likes and dislikes when it comes to a particular DS version/storyline. That's the whole point of forums like this and elsewhere. But having been active in fandom for over 25 years, to my knowledge there have never been such unfortunate verbal melees as there have been with regard to the Depp/DS film.  [ghost_blink]  And the fact that there have been is actually quite sad when one considers that we're all supposed to be mature adults.  [ghost_sad]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2012, 08:02:58 PM »
Thanks so much for sharing more of your photos, Teresa.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2012, 08:08:41 PM »
I think you hit the nail on the head MB! I wish more people would post photos. I love seeing the fest through other peoples eyes.