Author Topic: Reporting from Tarrytown  (Read 8766 times)

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Reporting from Tarrytown
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2012, 12:48:23 AM »
But, for a film to qualify, it usually has to have finished its theatrical run.  Plus, a public exhibition costs a fairly hefty sum.  So showing Depp Shadows at this year's fest had, at least, two things going against it.

Yep, CB, that's pretty much what I was getting at. I know that it's not at all unusual for, say, college campuses to show fairly recent releases before they are out on DVD, but again, the first theatrical run has been played out, and it probably costs a pretty penny. (Old films are going to be much cheaper.)

It'll be interesting to see if the film makes it into the screening rotation at future fests, though!  (Will they have to check bags at the entrance, confiscating tomatoes, eggs, etc.?  [ghost_wink])

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2012, 02:44:15 AM »
Absolutely, KMR!  And with Depp Shadows, they also have to tack on the cost of Event Security to stop people from vandalizing the screen, as you so rightly pointed out.   [ghost_wink]  The costs just keep adding up!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2012, 02:59:41 AM »
Of course you're both just joking.  [ghost_grin]  And I'm always up for that - even at any version of DS' expense.  [ghost_tongue2]  But one would certainly hope that in reality no one would ever be so immature as to even attempt to throw much less actually throw tomatoes, eggs, etc. at the screen or at each other.  [ghost_shocked]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 07, 2012, 03:05:34 AM »
this is second hand but i heard on FB that during the q&a with KLS she was asked what she thought of the maggie/vicki "merger" in the film...

supposedly she replied that it was "ridiculous" and "made no sense". i'll second that. it was my least favorite part of the film.

can anyone here confirm her remarks?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2012, 04:04:29 AM »
I loved the merger of Maggie Evans and Victoria Winters in the film.  For those of us who are die-hard fans of Maggie, we were able to get her.  Besides, let's be honest - Dan Curtis did it in the OS, and did it poorly.  He took Maggie, who was a tough broad that survived some of the worst things thrown at her and became milque-toast like Victoria when she took on the role of being the ingenue who was almost as dumb as Vicki - almost as dumb, because no one can be that dumb.  When I explained to friends who went to see the movie about Maggie Evans and Victoria Winters and how they were melded in the movie, they thought that was fantastic.

Gerard

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2012, 04:18:30 PM »
with all due respect i think that you were so pleased that maggie was unexpectedly in the film you're willing to overlook anything. like the fact that she changed her name on the way to a job interview she was already expected for. [ghost_rolleyes]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2012, 05:44:54 PM »
Honestly, it didn't matter to me one iota if Maggie was in the film or not ([ghost_nowink]), however, I mostly agree with what Gerard said regarding the Magtoria situation of the original series - and I thought the Maggie/Vicki twist in the film was a clever acknowledgement of it to original fans, even if it may have come across as a bit illogical. Though I would gently remind that this is a topic to discuss the Tarrytown event, so I would ask that if there is to be any further discussion of that particular plot point that doesn't directly relate to whether or not KLS made the remarks mentioned in reply #78, please let it be addressed in the "Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!" topic on the "Current Talk" board.  [ghost_wink]  Thanks.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 07, 2012, 08:14:10 PM »
Well, I have to say - this thread has been one of the most entertaining things I’ve read online in a long time.  My sincere thanks for all the fest reports and a special thanks to Philippe (who I still think of as Vlad from the old days) for starting the thread.   Gerard – you really crack me – I was laughing out loud more than once.  I think you were spot on with the Maggie-Vicki meld too.  Thanks again for the great read everyone. 

Unfortunately I missed the festivities once again so I can’t contribute anything new – written or graphic.  So, instead here is my (now antique) addition to the photos...a trip down memory lane so to speak…which, regardless of age, I'll bet many of you may recognize.

“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2012, 03:25:07 PM »
this is second hand but i heard on FB that during the q&a with KLS she was asked what she thought of the maggie/vicki "merger" in the film...

supposedly she replied that it was "ridiculous" and "made no sense". i'll second that. it was my least favorite part of the film.

can anyone here confirm her remarks?
Michael, I was there for all of KLS's question and answer session, and I don't remember anything like this.  And I find it hard to imagine her saying such a thing; she's always very diligent about putting a positive spin on everything.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 08, 2012, 07:58:00 PM »
thanks for the clarification lydia...

i would find it surprising if KLS had that to say. on the contrary since she enjoys inserting herself into the center of all things DS i'll bet she was pleased as punch that "maggie" ended up having a part in the film.