Author Topic: Reporting from Tarrytown  (Read 8754 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Reporting from Tarrytown
« on: July 27, 2012, 03:33:06 AM »
I thought it would be fun to start a thread that people attending the festival could report on. After some stressful moments in travel preparations (a misplaced VISA card, getting lost in finding my airport due to roads closed from recent flooding), I finally made it first to Chicago and then on to Tarrytown. I had barely checked into my room when a letter was hand-delivered warning of impending strong storms, tornadoes, and possible flooding. The hotel lobby is very comfortable and feels a little like the hall of an old castle. Visited already with Teresa who was in the lobby sipping wine with her friend. Because of the threatening storm, I didn't go out to eat but had a wonderful penne pasta (with jumbo shrimp and fresh artichoke cooked in a wine broth) here at the hotel. Tomorrow I hope to spend some solitary time at Lyndhurst, providing all goes well; and would also like to investigate Tarrytown, though that is in the opposite direction. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that Professor Stokes will be here and am looking forward to seeing her, Jimbo, and others. I've also just learned that there won't be any DS events here at the hotel other than the luncheon on Sunday. One thing I enjoyed at the other festivals I've attended was how you could watch DS episodes playing in one of the banquet rooms practically all night if you wanted, but that won't be the case this time.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Reporting from Tarrytown
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 12:52:46 AM »
Hi  Phillippe  thanks so much for the report  from  TarryTown.   Glad  u are having a great  time!
                              Enjoy   !!  Love  Anne  [ghost_smiley] :) :)
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 03:03:58 AM »
Thank you, Annie! I've just come from the hotel lobby to use one of the public computers, and Teresa says "hi" to everyone. Jimbo is here now and I saw Even Hanley among others in the lobby. Kathryn Leigh Scott looks lovely and sparkling with energy, and I found I was accidentally standing behind someone who had stopped who turned out to be Lara Parker; I walked by her nonchalantly (I hope). Annie, I'll mention your greeting if I see the others again later.

I didn't get into Tarrytown after all, but I did walk to Lyndhurst and my first glimpse of the Gothic house as I walked over a rise in the road was quite remarkable. I felt that the setting of Lyndhurst with the long road in off the main road really gave a feeling for what Collinwood must have been like. I can't compare it to the setting of Seaview Terrace since I haven't been there, but I think this is closer to what we imagine from the show itself. Yet approaching the house all the images that came to mind were those from the two DS movies, not the TV show. The way that I was able to reconcile the two different Collinwoods and the very different stories of the movies as compared with the TV series is that the movies represented a parallel time Collinwood. The same people were there, but they had made different choices and fate played out differently.

There seemed to be no one around the house and I had been told I would be able to get in. I tried the front door and it was locked, so I walked around and thought I could hear voices from the second floor but couldn't see anyone. I tried another door and that was locked too, so I continued walking around, viewing the tower from both the front and back of the house. I saw where Carlotta had jumped from and stood where her body must have landed. I looked for the tree where Angelique was hanged but couldn't tell which one it might have been.

There wasn't much else to do though I did see the large tent and believe Darren was probably one of the few people inside getting things ready but didn't want to disturb them. So I continued walking in the direction where I thought Washington Irving's estate, Sunnyside, would be. I walked what seemed to be about a mile on a packed dirt road; fortunately it was shade-covered because the day was getting hot.

Before I finally found Sunnyside, I had a strange deja vu experience. I came to the end of a street at the bottom of a hill marked "Dead End," but something compelled me to walk further. Before me was a smallish two story old home that I thought, oh, I've been here before, because I recongized it the house and remembered having been there. Then I realized that that was impossible because I've never been to Tarrytown in my life. I looked at the house very carefully and even tried to see the side of it where I remember being at an evening party, although by then I realized that I was remembering the house from a recurrent dream I've had some years ago. It wasn't anything from another era - in my dream it was just a place where I was with friends, and I remember a party taking place at dusk. What the explanation for this is, I don't know.

I retraced my steps and found the entrance of Sunnyside. This turned out to be a most interesting experience. I was just in time to join a small tour of about six people. By this time the sun was beating down and I was glad I had used sunscreen as someone had recommended and wished I had brought my cap - but it had looked like rain when I had left the hotel an hour or so earlier. The guide wore a period costume and presented very detailed historical information at every step. I came to find the house interesting in the context of Dark Shadows because I thought this must have been much like the Old House and the lifestyle there. The rooms were very small, close, and hot. Stairways were extremely narrow and very steep. Beds looked tiny and were often shared by relatives living there. I came away with a new interest in Washington Irving.

Events begin at Lyndhurst at noon tomorrow and the schedule is full until evening. The first event is a DS fan film filmed at Seaview Terrace. I just met Kim and Ken who made the movie, and was under the impression that information about it had been posted on this forum, but I didn't find it here. Both HODS and NODS will be shown Saturday night. The tribute to Jonathan Frid is at 5 p.m., I think. On Sunday, I was excited to see that Nancy Barrett will be giving a dramatic reading or performance with Jerry Lacey. This will be the first festival I've attended when Nancy Barrett has been there. Having always admired her acting, I think this will be something to really look forward to.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 05:04:52 AM »
Philippe, that's a lovely account of your day.  Thanks so much for taking the time to share!  I've been to T'town a few times but never managed to get to Sunnyside, nor the Sleepy Hollow cemetery.  I've always been taken to Lyndhurst in a car so I have missed the magical views you describe of the approach to the house, although I do think of the opening of Night of DS and how there is that sense of anticipation as they approach the gracious old mansion (where secret horror lurks... heh, heh)

I am thrilled for you that Nancy Barrett will be performing.  Had that been announced, I might have made more of an effort to try and be there since I always enjoy seeing Nancy.  And Jerry Lacy!

Sometimes there is a fan, or a few fans, who have DVD players in their rooms and show videos.  Maybe you'll stumble across somebody who will invite you to one of those parties.

I hope you are enjoying your evening!

cheers, Gothick

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 06:10:44 PM »
Philippe, thanks from me too for the reports!  Hopefully the weather isn't too terrible today.  Can't recall another Fest that had rain during the events, at least not in the last 15 years.

Info on Ken and Kim's video is on the Calendar/Announcement Board, posted by JVjr (Ken).

I looked forward last summer to that dramatic reading by Nancy and Jerry Lacy (a piece he wrote, IINM), but unfortunately she canceled her appearance at the last minute.  Oh well.  Would love to hear about it when you have the time.

I hope you're having a fantastic time.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 05:42:23 AM »
It's after midnight and I've just broken away from the lobby, where the partying is still going strong. Marie Wallace is taking pictures of people. I've heard that Ken and Kim's video went over well, and I unfortunately missed it. Evan Hanley was in the movie and he was telling me that he didn't like some aspect of his performance, and a woman overhearing him said, "You were great!" I'm sorry I wasn't there to support the filmmakers but perhaps posting about it here will help. I saw Julia99 at a table and she was very friendly. I hated to admit that I hadn't read her book on Grayson Hall, even though I had been intrigued by what I've heard about it, but I will definitely be ordering it from amazon now.

I was able to get inside Lyndhurst today just before the announced opening time, so there weren't many people inside yet which made it easier to see and enjoy it. It was very impressive; my favorite area was the gallery (which I learned was originally the library). There were guides posted throughout the house and the man in the gallery was very versed in every aspect of the room, the art, and Lyndhurst's history in minute detail.

As far as the DS actors appearances, I saw Lara Parker and Katherine Leigh Scott. I caught the tail-end of Jerry Lacy's. I learned today that he had been at the table behind me in the restaurant last night but I hadn't noticed then. I saw him earlier today and he is very distinguished looking. It's surprising that even though I have heard Lara Parker and KLS several times, I found myself fascinated by what they had to say. I took a few notes later and will try to post more another time. A clip was shown of a film (apparently an independent film) that they are both in, along with Jerry Lacy I believe, called "Dr. Mabuse." I'm not sure exactly what this film is about or how to describe it, but I definitely want to keep my eye on this. It looks very, very interesting!

The tribute to Jonathan Frid was very well done, with a series of clips from DS that Mr. Frid had chosen to have shown at the fest. His young webmaster spoke and showed some videos of Mr. Frid rehearsing at home. The scene from Richard II was powerfully done. There was also a clip of him reading from one of the New Testament epistles in his church. Finally, an eloquent talk was given by Mr. Frid's nephew that gave a personal sense of why this man was so much loved and admired. It was a fitting tribute.

During much of this, it was raining torrents outside, and the air-conditioning in the tent was freezing. Suddenly everyone was pulling out sweatshirts or buying jackets. When I finally got outside the temperature seemed to have plummeted, which seems to happen at every festival I attend. After returning to the hotel to put on warmer clothes, I walked back to Lyndhurst. It was almost dark and I made the mistake of taking a shortcut through the woods. No, I didn't stumble on a werewolf or vampire, but the path was muddy and wet and I sometimes had to walk off the path in the grass. I ended up with wet tennis shoes as well as the hem of my jeans. Also, I had seen deer earlier and remembered about deer ticks carrying Lyme disease, but I don't know if that's a problem here in NY or not. I stuck to the main road when I walked back later, after watching about 45 minutes of NODS. Seeing those movies will take on new significance now having seen much of the locations.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 05:45:45 PM »
Here's a local media article with some photos of the event. Be sure to click "Show Caption" in the sideshow.

http://www.lohud.com/article/20120729/NEWS02/307290036/Fans-recall-gothic-soap-Dark-Shadows-festival-held-Lyndhurst-mansion-Tarrytown?odyssey=mod_sectionstories

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 07:50:39 PM »
Thanks, Ms C.  Those are great photos.  I spotted Jerry Lacy but he wasn't identified--wonder why not.  And I spotted some other familiar faces in the snaps.  Looks as if that tent had a lot of empty seats even though the event was officially sold out.

It was odd to see the giant poster/standee set up for the Burton/Depp film.  I wonder if that was the only element from what one would have thought would have been this year's hot theme on evidence at the event.

And thanks again to Philippe for his very personal, beautifully written report.  Once upon a time, we had several fans on here reporting from the Festival floor.  Now you alone remain to tell the story (I think that's a quote, but can't recall from where).

Thanks, Steve

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 09:04:34 PM »
given the massively scaled back nature of this year's "event" i just couldn't justify the time, travel or expense of attending. scott and parker hawking their books wasn't enough of an enticement.

and frankly the outrageous behavior of the outer fringes of this fanbase over the movie(i'm recalling tears, pleas and threats of suicide on other boards)the very idea left me uncomfortable for some time.

that said i'm glad it seems as if the guest list and activities planned have been improved and those in attendace are enjoying themselves. there's always next year.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 11:21:18 PM »
So the AC was in the tents eh?  We were melting in the area I was at which included LP, KLS, Jerry and Marie.
Thanks to everyone who stopped by to say hello.
Julia99

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 11:54:51 PM »
Thanks everyone for their comments ... I am somewhat surprised that no one else attending the fest has added their experiences here, but it may be because this event is shorter and there isn't a lot of time. Professor Stokes mentioned last night that she prefers the original format for the festivals, and that is certainly understandable. In my view, what the festival has lost in the number of panels by DS personnel and more dealers was balanced by the opportunity to have events held at Lyndhurst. That had more meaning in some ways than having everything in dark hotel ballrooms.

The photos someone mentioned concerning empty seats at the tent simply means that may have been at a non-peak time. There were 700 registrants for the festival and I heard of several people who were turned away from Lyndhurst. During the panels I attended, the seating was 90 percent full.

I neglected to mention that the opening to the tribute for Jonathan Frid was a recorded reading/video from David Selby. His words were beautifully expressed and ended to the effect that the night is long, but candles burn on in the night. I would like to get a copy of what he wrote.

Lara Parker spoke about the longevity of fandom for the original series - that though a new movie has come and gone, the festival was a testament to the enduring nature of the original show. At the banquet luncheon today, she gave the closing remarks, carefully giving credit to the talents of those involved with the new movie which was inspired by and ultimately a tribute to "our show" of so many decades ago.

Not finding anyone I knew at the vast banquet hall, I was invited to take a place at a table in the exact center of the floor, which turned out to be primarily volunteer staff. My appreciation to those who offered me the seat; it turned out that this was Marie Wallace's table. What a fun lady she is! I decided to buy her book later just to learn more about her career.

A highlight of the banquet was the performance of Nancy Barrett and Jerry Lacy. Ms. Barrett was as talented as ever, and Jerry Lacy's reading of his lines was so naturalistic you felt you were overhearing a conversation. The brief play, really one extended scene, returned to DS's roots as a character drama, with a chance meeting in the present day of Carolyn Stoddard and Tony Peterson at the Blue Whale, where they at first don't recognize one another. It was really very lovely with no supernatural overtones. Now something like that would make the basis for a DS updating that would interest me.

As far as announcements made by Jim Pierson, the restoration of NODS is proceeding - the upcoming October release of the two original movies on DVD hasn't stopped those plans, so that was exciting and welcome news. The other big announcement was that they are contemplating a new format for the festival next year -- a cruise somewhere off New York. That came as a surprise to everyone. New and surprising, but the more I think of it, personally I'm not sure I would want to be trapped on board with 700 DS fans, but then there would always be the next year.

On a side note, I made it into Tarrytown late in the day and walked to Sleepy Hollow but couldn't find the historic cemetery. I thought the vague line maps I had seen would be sufficient, but I should have researched it first. Back at the hotel now, I've been doing just that, and it would have been quite a ways further. The cemetery looks enormous and would take some advance planning to appreciate. Also, the burial ground in Washington Irving's story is actually the adjacent Old Dutch Church burying ground, not Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, which was founded later.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 01:21:16 AM »
A quick addition about merchandise -- other than the DVD sets and DS-related books, I've never been too interested in the sort of memorabilia things that so many fans love, which may explain why a smaller vendor showcase didn't concern me. It's usually difficult to pack anything additional for a return flight home -- probably the one larger item I really wanted to take back some years ago was a poster, but no packaging tube was available. I'm not an autograph collector either, and normally order my books (such as all of KLS's) online rather than at DS events. I made an exception with Ms. Wallace's book today. If R.J. Jamison should read this, never fear - I have already placed my much-belated order for the Grayson Hall biography on amazon. Her revised and expanded edition of Craig Hammrick's "Barnabas and Company" will be another anticipated addition in the future (haven't read the original but it seems to be another must-have). Fortunately there is no dearth of DS-related publications to look forward to for future reading.

Speaking of merchandise, one of the gifts everyone attending the banquet today received was - gasp! - a Barnabas ring. I'm still somewhat awed. Could it be that one day the gift will be a replica Josette's music box? That would be more than I think would ever be possible.

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 01:25:45 AM »
Hi  Phillippe   thanks again for the wonderful report  from  Tarrytown.  It was very nice of  you
to take the time out of  your busy  schedule  to do this.
                         Love  Anne [ghost_smiley] :) :)
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 01:53:14 AM »
The other big announcement was that they are contemplating a new format for the festival next year -- a cruise somewhere off New York...personally I'm not sure I would want to be trapped on board with 700 DS fans...

I'm with you, Philippe! [a1f5]  The great thing about the NY Fests is that I can indulge my interest in DS, and when it gets to be too much (as it always does...), I can hop the subway and spend a few restorative hours in a museum or just wandering.

Glad you were able to see Lyndhurst and Sunnyside, two of my favorite destinations.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 03:10:12 AM »
I neglected to mention that the opening to the tribute for Jonathan Frid was a recorded reading/video from David Selby. His words were beautifully expressed and ended to the effect that the night is long, but candles burn on in the night. I would like to get a copy of what he wrote.
The recording was made in San Diego a couple of weeks ago. The words are drawn from a letter to Jonathan that was posted on David Selby's web site:

http://www.davidselby.com/blog/2012/04/19/a-letter-to-jonathan/

Word is that the audio/video will eventually make its way online via some official channel.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)