Author Topic: Reporting from Tarrytown  (Read 8757 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Reporting from Tarrytown
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 03:44:20 AM »
Thanks again for the latest reflective notes on this year's Festival experience.  700 sounds pretty low as an attendance figure to me.  Don't the NY area Festivals typically take in between 2000 and 2500 attendees?

I think a cruise would have potentially a very different clientele from the typical fan who attends the Festivals.  It will be interesting to see whether they pursue that idea.

The short play with Nancy and Jerry sounds beautiful.  I would love to hear Carolyn and Tony exchanging their thoughts after all those years.  I'm sure the two actors portrayed it with sensitivity and depth.

Thanks again,

Steve

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 03:55:39 AM »
Thank you Philippe for you wonderful review of the fest! I am glad we got to spend so much time together this year and loved hearing about your adventures.  I must say I had such a wonderful time this year and thought the fest went splendidly! I met several new friends and spent some good quality time with some dear old friends which was my main reason for going. 
I really enjoyed my day at Lyndhurst and I was one of those who bought a sweatshirt due to the nasty weather and dropping temps.  I was freezing by the time I left Lyndhurst! The tent stayed busy most of the day as well as the carriage house which was packed to capacity.  I am very happy to say there were so many new fans there this year!
It was a wonderful weekend, I had a great time and am sad it's over~!
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 04:00:25 AM »
 A cast photo from this afternoon

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 05:45:11 AM »
That's beautiful Teresa! Who is the lady next to Marie--not Jerry, on the other side of Marie?

Glad to hear you had such a lovely time.  I regret not having been there.  It wasn't good timing for me, amongst other factors.

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 12:37:35 PM »
gothick i believe that's sharon smyth...even our little sarah's grown up.

it would be interesting to hear an exchange between carolyn and tony peterson. that was one of those relationships/storylines on the series that sort of fizzled out on the launching pad. the last time we see peterson is in the infamous diana walker "fake carolyn" episode. then the character disappears without a trace never to be mentioned again. [ghost_rolleyes]

sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2012, 03:41:59 PM »
Thank you Philippe for your reviews on the Fest. You are such a good writer. It was great to see you again at a Fest. This was one of the most informal-like Fests I have attended. It was such a relaxing atmosphere. There was no rush to get autographs or a rush to be anywhere. The actors were not stressed out like in some previous Fests. Everything seemed to run smoothly. Yes there were some issues like the a/c unit in the tent not being secured when the heavy rains came and people got wet. All the events on the schedule seemed to be on time which was very nice. The tributes by friends, co-workers and family to Jonathan Frid were the highlight of the Fest. I just sat back and enjoyed the event which was a change for me. Typically I am running around like a chicken without a head at these events. I enjoyed meeting my old friends and making new ones. Thanks again Philippe for your wonderful detailed reviews and I am glad you had a great time.

Here are some pics from the Fest. http://broadwayworld.com/article/Photo-Coverage-Kathryn-Leigh-Scott-Lara-Parker-and-More-at-Dark-Shadows-Weekend-20120730

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2012, 03:55:12 PM »
Thanks for that link, Jimbo.  michael, you're right:  the lady with the blonde bob is identified on Jimbo's link as Sharon.

I was wondering for a bit if she might have been Kathy Cody, but evidently not.

G.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2012, 08:06:35 PM »
Not being sure exactly how far Lyndhurst is from the hotel, I drove over on Saturday, and then I left my sweater in my car because I was sure I wouldn't need it on such a day.  How wrong I was!  It was cold in that tent.  But the experience was worth the cold.

I never would have recognized Sharon Smyth, but when she was asked if she wanted to sit or to stand, she said, "I don't know," and the intonation was very much Sarah.  As Sharon talked, I kept thinking of something MB said a couple of years ago:
Sarah was played by Sharon Smyth (who I actually miss at the Fests - but I digress...).
Yeah, Sharon's fun.  Somebody asked her to sing London Bridge Is Falling Down, and she had us all sing it with her.  I thought: "Only at a Dark Shadows Fest could there be a group singalong of London Bridge."

Jerry Lacy was asked to say something as Trask.  He started with something that was, as I remember it, fairly generic, but then he thought a bit and said: "I have the witch!  I have the witch!" and said that as he dragged Alexandra Moltke away after saying that (in episode 400 - I just looked it up) he stepped on his cloak and (according to him) you can see him and Moltke descending out of the scene rather than just exiting stage whatever.

Kathryn Leigh Scott mentioned in passing that she's had a hip replacement.  Wow, modern medicine is something!  I never would have guessed.  But knowing what KLS is like, I figure she was no sluggard when it came to the post-op therapy.

The short play with Nancy Barrett and Jerry Lacy was great.  I feel privileged to have seen it.

I'm always surprised by how much fun the charity auctions are.  Also how hopeless.  Every time I think, "Hmm...I wouldn't mind having that; I might even bid $50!" you can bet the bidding will go into the hundreds.  The most interesting item, I thought, was sold at the banquet on Sunday: a visit to the tower at Lyndhurst, where, as Jim Pierson explained, visitors aren't usually allowed to go because there's no emergency exit.  It went for $200 to a woman from San Francisco.

The lobby at the Doubletree hotel is huge, with lots of very comfortable chairs and sofas.  I spent a lot of time in the chairs and sofas on Sunday looking at people waiting in lines - lines for the banquet (I myself just went in the end and was very satisfied with a table at the back of the beyond) and lines for autographs.  It must have been a little strange for any non-Dark Shadows guests arriving.  There was a wedding or two there that weekend, and a Green-Bryant family reunion, with family members wearing Green-Bryant Family Reunion T-shirts.  No Collins Family Reunion T-shirts, though.

I was surprised that Jim Pierson said they were considering a Dark Shadows Fest cruise, since we discussed the idea here on these boards a few years ago and the reasons not to do it seemed compelling.  Here's part of what borgosi was told when he looked into it:
I don't know how the actors would feel about being on a boat with fans. You can't sign up under an assumed name like you can at a hotel. There are legal manifests and with terrorism as it is those list are scrutinized. You have more freedom in a hotel to escape people but even on the biggest ship there isn't any place you can really "hide". Don't misunderstand, the actors do socialize. I have spent many an evening over drinks in the lounge with them, but there comes a time when they do need time to themselves or for private conversations and many fans don't understand.
But as I said at the time, a Dark Shadows cruise sounds like fun, with or without the stars.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2012, 08:30:26 PM »
I would be flabbergasted if the DS actors agreed to a cruise with several hundred DS fans.  If it was a cruise of a few hours, maybe.

Part of the appeal of the DS fests/weekends is the locality.  From their hotel locale there are many other nearby attractions and things to do outside of the festival.   But I have been flabbergasted before and maybe the cruise will happen.

Nancy

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2012, 09:03:14 PM »
yes i prefer the come-and-go options of the hotel fest setup...

a cruise sounds confining. claustrophobic even.

in recent years i've been fortunate with several fests at the brooklyn marriot. i live in brooklyn so when i'm feeling tired or "over it" so to speak i can just walk home.

it sounds like this year's event stepped up to the plate after all. glad those who attended had fun.

sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2012, 01:14:39 PM »
The only thing I did not like about this year was that it seemed to end so early in the day Sunday.  Usually with the banquet being in the evening it keeps people up later and socializing into the wee hours.  I also did not like the fact that everyone could not be at the same hotel even though many seemed to make the Doubletree the place to hang out which was great since I stayed there. 

Usually I pass on the banquet/dinner but decided to do the luncheon and was really happy I did.  I enjoyed the skit with Nancy and Jerry very much and my vegetarian lunch was delicious!  The gift bags had lots of goodies in them and I was pretty much last in line to get in but had no problem getting a table with 4 other friends.  My biggest complaint for the entire weekend is that the hotel was freezing.  You would think I'd learn after all these years to bring plenty of sweaters but I purchased a sweatshirt from MPI for $15 that hit the spot!

It was a fun weekend and my Dark Shadows friends have become family.  I always hate that last day saying goodbye.

I have attached a photo of Philippe, myself and Amanda taken on Saturday night.  We make sure we take one every year the three of us are all together in one room! [ghost_cheesy]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2012, 04:14:03 PM »
What a sweet photo!

G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2012, 06:58:09 PM »
Wonderful photo, thanks!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2012, 11:16:52 PM »
The great thing about the NY Fests is that I can indulge my interest in DS, and when it gets to be too much (as it always does...), I can hop the subway and spend a few restorative hours in a museum or just wandering.

Well, it depends upon the ship.  If she's one of those collosal RCCL Allure of the Ever-Expanding-Universe floating shoe box things, you'd be among over 5,000 passengers (and I'm sure not all would be part of any DS on-board festival; I've done cruises as same-interest-orientated fund raising things and were just a bunch within the throng who had access to whatever reserved public rooms were given us;  after that, we all just melded in with the passenger load and you might not see another fan for the rest of the day).  Plus, there's lots to do on-board a cruise ship - quite often, they are the destination because of what they offer in limitless activities and things to see (there are art galleries and museums on many of them).  Stopping at some port or island is now becoming more secondary.  But they're still offered, and you can spend half the cruise, if not more (some stop at a port every day, anathema to those of us who choose to sail on a ship because we want to sail on a ship) joining a tour (usually over-priced) or just heading off on your own.

If they decide to have a festival on a ship, I hope they will consider the transatlantic ocean liner Queen Mary 2, which also does cruises.  Usually, she does a week-long New England/Maritime Provinces autumn cruise in between transatlantic voyages.  She stops at ports from Newport to Bar Harbor, so that would be perfect to take in some DS scenery.  I spent a month on board her during her maiden season in 2004.  She's grand, glorious and a tribute to the classic ocean liners of the past, and while being the same size as the RCCL Allure monstrosities, she carries less than half the passenger load so there are larger cabins, less crowded public rooms, no need to line up (unless you want to go into the Planetarium, the only one of its kind on the seas).

The only time I ever attended a DS festival was after completing a cruise to Bermuda on the ship Zenith.  After we disembarked and a friend picked us up, we headed off to Brooklyn.  As we talked with Robert "Adam" Rodan, he commented on where we got our tans.  He said (paraphrasing):  "Wouldn't a festival on a cruise ship be a great idea?"

Gerard

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2012, 11:42:34 PM »
I would be flabbergasted if the DS actors agreed to a cruise with several hundred DS fans.  If it was a cruise of a few hours, maybe.

On the several cruises/crossings I've been on, I've seen scores of celebrities, from actors/actresses to authors to politicians.  From my experiences, it's rather remarkable how other passengers leave them alone when they're "off duty" - many will give lectures and presentations, and have a time set aside for autographs, but beyond that, I've never seen anyone bother them on the "confinement" of a passenger ship.  They go about, enjoying a drink in one of the lounges, taking a walk on the promenade deck or resting in a deck chair, and no one bothered them.  It was like an unwritten rule.  (Not to sound gauche, but one time when I was in the men's room, Telly Savalas stood at the urinal next to me - we both did our business without exchanging any words.)  On a transatlantic crossing on the retired Queen Elizabeth 2 (the same one with Telly Savalas, who gave an incredible lecture on the history of television) was Edwin Newman, the noted newsman, journalist and author (who also gave several lectures).  I and my friends, one day, saw him standing alone at the railing of the QE2's First Class sundeck (we were interloping from Tourist Class) and we decided to approach him sheepishly.  He said:  "Well, finally, someone wants to talk with me.  I thought I was all alone on this ship."  We stood there, in the 32-knot wind, and talked for over an hour.  He thanked us profusely afterwards.  We could've gone on, but that mighty breeze made things chilly, even though it was August, but it was the North Atlantic.

So I don't think DS stars would have to worry about being stalked constantly while "confined" on a ship by exuberant fans.  I know some of us DS fans are nuts and go overboard (which might not be a bad idea on a ship if they behave badly), but I've never, ever seen a celebrity driven to the confines of his/her stateroom/suite by constantly annoying fans.  Ever.  I've actually seen them looking for some human connection because everyone knows not to bother them to the point of loneliness.

Gerard