Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Spoilers  (Read 22857 times)

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Spoilers
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 09:02:52 PM »
The thing I'd most like to know is the source of these spoilers.  Where did you read them?  Can  you please (pretty please) provide a link?

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 01:53:37 AM »
I have reached the point that the source of these alleged spoilers must immediately be revealed. In my mind there is a difference between a spoiler and a possible spoiler. There needs to be responsibility and identification as to its sources here. My feeling is either produce evidence that these spoilers are in fact spoilers or that this thread be removed in its entirety. I am seriously considering leaving this board.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 02:26:23 AM »
I also asked for the source (website, person who posted them on the website, source before this etc) but was not provided with one. The fact that the source was listed as "a major American soap opera website" is quite suspect.

Nonetheless, if these turn out to not be spoilers at all but mere ideas someone dreamed up, the conversation is still interesting.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 02:47:18 AM »
jimbo,

Please let us handle it, and for the time being, since the topic upsets you, then please do follow MB's advice in the main topic and avoid the thread.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 02:59:53 AM »
Midnite I do admit this topic/thread has upset me. However, I was fully put on notice and I decided on my own volition to read the spoliers at my own peril. What I would like to know just for my peace of mind are these spoilers based on a blogger's imagination or is it based on an insider who has gone to the dark side. My intellect tells me that TPTB have taken enormous security steps to ensure that the plot specifics are not leaked out to the media. On the other hand my intellect also tells me that plot leaks are not an abberation. If this thread is fantasy based I am OK with it but I would like to know if that is the case. Perhaps the thread should have read possible unsubstantiated spoilers? This is a very difficult balance. I do apologize for over acting as I would never leave this board for any reason.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2011, 03:11:59 AM »
Did you fully read MB's statement in the main topic?  It states the same thing you're saying about these being unsubstantiated spoilers, regardless of the topic title.

Offline neiljohnson

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2011, 03:13:09 AM »
Jimbo -- I assume your anger is directed at me.  But, if you will look at my first post in this thread (not the topic title, by MY first post), my heading is "Possible Spoilers."  I agree -- there is a difference between a spoiler and a possible spoiler.  That is why I identified them as POSSIBLE spoilers.  

I have no idea who the original source of this information is, nor do I know where it was originally posted.  I am the person who first posted it here, albeit reluctantly.  Never once did I suggest that this information is true.  However, I did find it exciting and intriguing.  And, I assumed others might also be interested.   Even our moderators posted a disclaimer suggesting that any spoilers may, or may-not, be accurate.

I have no more information on these possible spoilers then what I originally posted -- but, I think one can read between the lines, to some extent.  Perhaps others will do the same, then we can compare notes.  

During the next ten-months, I'm sure there will be many, many spoilers (or possible spoilers) discussed on this site.  So, I see no reason this thread should be deleted -- only to be re-created in the next month or two.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2011, 03:44:05 AM »
Midnite I did read MB's statement. He is certainly a wise person. I believe I may have read it after I read the "spoilers".
Neiljohnson: If you know me I am not a hater. This discussion board encourages different points of view. To answer your question I do not know if my "anger" is directed at you or at me or at the spoilers that may turn out to be fact most of which I disagree with. Your subject topic title reads DS spoilers and not possible spoilers although you did subsequently indicate that they may be possible spoilers. If I saw what you did at that site I would have considered posting same. I and others have posted links to articles that contained information that turned out to be false or misleading.  I do not wish to discourage any cousin posting information that they have found. It should be up to the moderators to determine if any posts are objectionable and not me. In my earlier post here I did thank you for posting this topic. It was a very good find and I applaud you for posting it. In my mind a spoiler is defined as as information that has been confirmed as I think we are in agreement with. I just don't know if unsubstantiated spoilers are equal to speculative possible plot spoilers. I am trying to figure that out in my mind if I would post a possible unconfirmed spoiler if I was to come across it. You certainly did nothing wrong here. As I said I will leave it up to the moderators for further guidance. Hope we are all good.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2011, 03:49:31 AM »
Even if the spoilers are real spoilers, very little of what has been written may make it to the final cut of the film.  There could be major changes from the shooting script that was passed around to various people early in the year, and what they're now shooting.  Or Burton could decide to make major changes on the spot and completely re-shoot certain sequences.  All bets are off.

Just speaking personally,
[spoiler] if the thing about Ange and Julia hating one another for their own special reasons is true, I'd LOVE to see a re-creation of the infamous Cassandra slap sequence.  Maybe this time, the impudent Witch's Wiglet will go flying and land somewhere spectacularly impertinent... on top of Roger's head, perhaps?[/spoiler]

I have to confess I don't take anything connected with the new movie very seriously.  The plans for the restoration and release of the two original feature films on DVD--now, THAT I take seriously.  I'm still waiting to hear more about the studio properly greenlighting that project.

G.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2011, 03:58:50 AM »
I loved you spoiler  [pointing-up]
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2011, 04:04:11 AM »
I have no idea who the original source of this information is, nor do I know where it was originally posted.  I am the person who first posted it here, albeit reluctantly.
Can you please share the source where you yourself found these possible spoilers posted?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2011, 04:10:27 AM »
The fact that the source was listed as "a major American soap opera website" is quite suspect.

Brandon, is that a quote from this board?  I don't recall seeing the soap website described as "major."

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2011, 06:13:35 AM »
Where is it said that the goal was to condense the entire run of DS into a single movie? That is the most bizarre idea I've ever heard of.

Clearly I didn't mean condensing every single story from the series into the movie.  What foolishness that would be, but it would have to be a pretty creative editing job.   [ghost_wink]  What I meant, as what both Burton and Depp have stated, is that they are trying to condense the basic plotlines (yes, they mention the number of episodes, or, at least, the authors of the articles have) of the series into a two hour film, meaning they have to pick and choose the elements from the series which make the "whole" of Dark Shadows.  Finding the essence of the series in all of its various plotlines and streamlining the core tale is what the stated objective has always been.   

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2011, 12:25:33 AM »
The fact that the source was listed as "a major American soap opera website" is quite suspect.

Brandon, is that a quote from this board?  I don't recall seeing the soap website described as "major."

I was paraphrasing. I was talking about the line in neiljohnson's first post containing the spoilers where he says that he found the spoilers on "a soap opera website that features American soaps." It may be true that this website is not a "major" one, I was just going on memory of what I read. I apologize for misspeaking.

Regarding the spoiler Gothick was talking about and the idea presented, I love it as well! That would be a fantastic scene to recreate in the film, and I'm sure there would be plenty of instances where it could happen.

Ultimately, I hope that [spoiler] Barnabas is not defanged, as it were, and actually packs some punch in this film. The original show did an excellent job of walking the line of making us hate Barnabas even if his actions were justifiable, and make us love Barnabas when we weren't sure if we should or not. This, to me, is an important aspect in storytelling because it allows you to really make a character grow and evolve. [/spoiler]

Also, now that I've been thinking about it [spoiler] they couldn't really kill off anyone too major in the first film without at least introducing other family members to include in a potential sequel. The major characters are very few here, as there aren't many direct relatives of the Collins family left from what we can see according to the cast listing. I would imagine that Burton and co. would want to keep the cast around as more box office draw for a potential second film. But then, Burton is not famous for making sequels to his movies so who's to say that a sequel would even happen? And if it did, and they replaced Burton what would that mean for our beloved series? [/spoiler]
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2011, 03:09:43 PM »
although it would not be possible to "condense the entire run of DS" into a single movie what remakes of the original series...be it the 1991 revival, or the 2004 pilot(which i haven't seen), or this film(given the plot synopsis we've been given)...seem to try to do is condense the highlights of the first year and a half or so into an understandable story.

the introduction of the main collins family, victoria's arrival at collinwood, willie's release of barnabas, the introduction of julia hoffman, a conjuring up of angelique and a taste of the backstory of the whole thing with some sort of flashback to 1795(or, in the case of this film 1772). that seems to be about as far as we can get given the perimeters of a two hour film or the first season of a television series.

they don't attempt to get into the post 1795 plotting during the introductory period. it's too complex. the adam/eve/nicholas blair stuff isn't mentioned. if given the opportunity it would appear that they would like to jump ahead to the quentin storyline. apparently the 1991 series was going to introduce that in season two but it was cancelled. the thing with quentin is that he's a PROTAGONIST. he dominates his surroundings and requires his own storyline for his character to be understood properly. he can't just be hastily written into the background of the barnabas storyline as a supporting player. that's why he wasn't in the 1991 series during the first season and that's why he's not in this film. if a sequel is produced he, and not barnabas, might be the highlighted character.

as far as the program's later, and often questionable storylines, like leviathans and parallel-time, i don't know if any future version of the show would even attempt to get into that or create new storylines.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.