Author Topic: Blue Sheets & Green Blankets  (Read 4199 times)

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Blue Sheets & Green Blankets
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2002, 10:17:16 AM »
Linda Wrote:

Colored sheets in the contemporary episodes do reflect what was popular and fashionable at the time, but I'm pretty sure that no one had bright blue sheets in 1897.

I agree Linda.  I think the only time I've seen colored sheets on a show that's suppose to be from another Century was usually in the "Red Light District."

As for Beth's hair,  it does seem rather well made up for a servant to have in those times but considering how well paid she is for keeping her silence about certain things in Collinwood, she probably can afford to have it done up every so often.  Her clothes seem alot nicer too than what you'd expect servants to wear in those days.

Remember Angelique in 1795?  Her hair always looked lovely but her clothes didn't.  And one could tell that she was a servant just by looking at the clothes she wore.;-)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Latisha

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Catcam.tv
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2002, 03:43:30 AM »
OK, now I've become confused.  I was thinking that the red dress that Rachel wore didn't really matter being that it was filmed in black & white, no one could tell.  But...we're watching these shows in color and they don't look colorized to me.  Didn't they begin to film in color, and wouldn't they have considered the colors of things differently than when they would have appeared in shades of gray.  Am I making sense?

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2002, 03:57:37 AM »
OK, now I've become confused.  I was thinking that the red dress that Rachel wore didn't really matter being that it was filmed in black & white, no one could tell.  But...we're watching these shows in color and they don't look colorized to me.  Didn't they begin to film in color, and wouldn't they have considered the colors of things differently than when they would have appeared in shades of gray.  Am I making sense?

There's been no colorization.  Sometime in 1967/68, the show switched over to color.  I think the speculation about the colored sheets was that this is what the show had on hand already (from the days of black and white) and there was no attempt to change it.  

Rachel's dress was meant to be red.  Had nothing to do with camera contrast.

The problem with the color (and her clothes) is that it probably would have been considered inappropriate for a governess to wear (or a young lady, for that matter).  Red had a connotation of trashiness to it.  Don't know if you've ever seen Jezebel or not, but the plot revolved around Southern debutante Bette Davis' determination to wear a red dress to a ball.  Granted that was set a good forty years before 1897, but the idea is the same.  Unmarried women, that is proper unmarried women, did not wear red.  

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2002, 04:57:53 AM »
I've always heard that white looks washed out on camera.  Maybe thats why they used colors. ?
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Offline Linda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Virtual Series
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2002, 09:29:32 AM »
Rachel's dress was meant to be red.  Had nothing to do with camera contrast.

The problem with the color (and her clothes) is that it probably would have been considered inappropriate for a governess to wear (or a young lady, for that matter).  Red had a connotation of trashiness to it.  Don't know if you've ever seen Jezebel or not, but the plot revolved around Southern debutante Bette Davis' determination to wear a red dress to a ball.  Granted that was set a good forty years before 1897, but the idea is the same.  Unmarried women, that is proper unmarried women, did not wear red.  

Actually, wearing bright red typically suggested more than "trashy." :)

I remember reading a story years ago in one of the "Hollywood" books (might have been Bring On the Empty Horses, by David Niven), in which one of the studio muckety mucks gave a fancy dress ball, and all the ladies were supposed to wear white dresses.  The night of the party rolled around, and each woman showed up in white...with the exception of Norma Shearer (she was married to MGM wunderkind Irving Thalberg at the time and was typically fawned over like she was just short of divine), who made a fashionably late grand entrance in a bright red dress.  Carole Lombard -- well known for using profanity -- spoke her annoyance in a voice just loud enough for everyone in the room to hear, "Who the f*** does Norma think she is?  The house madam???"   :D :D

Cheers,

Linda

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2002, 08:24:37 PM »
Quoting Cher from "Moonstruck":

"....and some day you'll drop dead and I'll come to your funeral in a red dress!".....which, as all we Sicilian's know, would be the ultimate insult!!

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2002, 08:47:13 PM »
Hi RP,  I'm not familiar with that Sicilian saying or custom.  Whenever the topic of "red is the DEVIL's color!" comes up, I always remember the hysterical sequence around that line in Die, Die, My Dahling with the immortal Tallulah Bankhead tormenting poor feckless Stef Powers.

So, RP, what do you make of Judith's abrupt wardrobe switch today?  I can't wait to see Luciaphil's comments about that dress!

Steve

Offline Luciaphile

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2002, 09:37:57 PM »

So, RP, what do you make of Judith's abrupt wardrobe switch today?  I can't wait to see Luciaphil's comments about that dress!

Steve

Hehehe. I take it you mean Judith ditching the black mourning for the bright pink number? I worked that into that a fanfic (which I promise, I will finish one day). My interpretation: it was definitely a statement/reaction to her grandmother, kind of like, well, I've got the dough now, you miserable old witch and I'm going to dance on your grave.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2002, 11:17:03 PM »
Sorry, guys....I didn't catch the pink number.  I neither watched nor taped today's episodes.  

Damn [scrdy]....last time I admitted to that, MB reprimanded me....some crap about self-flagellation in the kneeling position?....[smrtasy]

And the last time I saw anyone dance on a grave it was Tim Curry as Winston Newquay in "Wiseguy" ;)

Steve, dear....did you have a wonderful Samhain?
RP
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2002, 11:45:00 PM »
Thank you, Luciaphil, for that delightful comment. You read Judith the same way I do (and I think that NOW is the time for me to read your fabou fanfic, that I've heard so many people raving about--The Education of Judith Collins--care to post a link here?)

Raineypark, I have been having my most intense Samhain ever, but I thank the gods I have not yet (may it please Her Croneship) suffered a bereavement, as many people of my acquaintance have done this season. I do feel that Samhain is still going on. The veil feels very thin these days; there's a crispness in the air borne not only of the chilly weather, but of the whrring of the Reaping Crone's scythe along the fields in which we dwell.  Everybody has been feeling the energy around here.  It seems to extend to England, too--She suddenly appeared in the midst of a tarot reading a friend of mine was doing yesterday, "disrupted all transmissions" as he phrased it, whirled cacikling around the room, and then was gone.

sorry if that was more than you bargained for--life is often like that ...

Blessings,  Steve

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Samhain
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2002, 12:20:36 AM »

Raineypark, I have been having my most intense Samhain ever, but I thank the gods I have not yet (may it please Her Croneship) suffered a bereavement, as many people of my acquaintance have done this season.

I understand.  So many elders in my family have left us in the autumn of the year that we're no longer surprised at the coincidence of it.

I do feel that Samhain is still going on. The veil feels very thin these days; there's a crispness in the air borne not only of the chilly weather, but of the whrring of the Reaping Crone's scythe along the fields in which we dwell.

Ah, The Crone.  At my age, she beckons  me. ...we talk, long into the night, she and I.  But for now it is still The Mother who knows my measure.

Everybody has been feeling the energy around here.  It seems to extend to England, too--She suddenly appeared in the midst of a tarot reading a friend of mine was doing yesterday, "disrupted all transmissions" as he phrased it, whirled cacikling around the room, and then was gone.

The Tarot, on the other hand, I avoid with great care.  A great -grandmother of mine used it for terrible purpose and I prefer not to tempt malediction.  

sorry if that was more than you bargained for--life is often like that ...Blessings,  Steve

Not at all....if I hadn't wanted to know, I wouldn't have asked!  Perhaps if you begin Yule preparations early, those who have remained too long will take the hint and move on.....;)

RP
Dylan Thomas

Offline Maria_Merriweather

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2002, 12:34:21 AM »
About Judith's pink dress--yesterday or today, I don't remember which but she was wearing a pinkish coral dress with matching hair bow and identically matching lipstick! I don't know if they had pink/coral lipstick or lipstick at all in 1897. [rleyeb]
MM

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2002, 01:01:44 AM »
They might have, Maria.....but only a floozie would have worn it!!

What on earth has gotten into Judith? [lghy]

Rainey
Dylan Thomas

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2002, 02:17:38 AM »
They might have, Maria.....but only a floozie would have worn it!!

What on earth has gotten into Judith? [lghy]

Rainey

spoilers

i don't know but she should have jumped on Tim Shaw(calm now steve)
instead of Old Gregory (come kneel with me amanda(double Icky) and pray) Trask when she had the chance heck maybe she did after their revenge on him in the end!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Luciaphile

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2002, 06:13:30 AM »
Thank you, Luciaphil, for that delightful comment. You read Judith the same way I do (and I think that NOW is the time for me to read your fabou fanfic, that I've heard so many people raving about--The Education of Judith Collins--care to post a link here?)

Here you go: Education of Judith Collins

Luciaphil