Author Topic: Favorite non-DS performance by cast?  (Read 6160 times)

Offline CD_Tate

• Junior Poster
  • I'm soooo artistic.
    • View Profile
    • Pix:
Favorite non-DS performance by cast?
« on: August 22, 2002, 08:41:56 AM »
I've watched Star Trek Next Generation so many times I've lost count, but it wasn't until tonight I realized (while browsing the imdb) that Kathryn Leigh Scott played a lead role in one of my all-time favorite episodes: Who Watches the Watchers?  

Of course, right away I had to watch the episode again; luckily I just bought the DVD set...  There she is, playing a character I've always loved, and I never put two & two together!  She plays Nuria, the leader of a primitive Vulcan-ish race.  Picard has to beam her up to the ship in order to convince her that he isn't a God, and they share several wonderful scenes together.  It's a truly extraordinary performance.

I'm sure there's plenty of great roles and guest spots I haven't come across, but it's always great to see one of the regulars pop up somewhere else.  

Another favorite of mine is Thayer David as the evil Count Sagnussen in the adventure film Journey to the Center of the Earth starring James Mason...

What's your favorite non-DS performance by one of the Dark Shadows gang?

Selby_D._Pearson

Re: Favorite non-DS performance by cast?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2002, 12:54:58 PM »
My fave non-DS performance by our dear Grayson was as Miss Judith Fellowes in "Night of the Iguana". Miss Fellowes was such a dedicated chaperone to young Charlotte Goodall and that evil "Rev" T. Lawrence Shannon was so cruel to her. Miss Fellowes was so dedicated to Charlotte she was willing to sleep at the foot of her bed if Charlotte so desired! ;D

BTW, at one of the late 1980s Festivals, KLS submitted her alien makeup (ears, nose and protruding brow) from "Who Watches the Watchers?" to the Festival charity auction.

SDP

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2002, 05:53:30 PM »
Joan, of course, in any number of films.  Which I would pick as my favorite?  "The Reckless Moment"

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline CD_Tate

• Junior Poster
  • I'm soooo artistic.
    • View Profile
    • Pix:
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2002, 06:25:40 PM »
Joan, of course, in any number of films.  Which I would pick as my favorite?  "The Reckless Moment"

Luciaphil
I've just got to see that one!  

I just looked it up, since you mentioned it, and it turns out that The Deep End--one of my favorite independant films from last year--was a remake of that movie...  I can't wait to see the original, with our dear Ms. Bennett...  But it doesn't look like it's out on video or DVD...   Oh well, I guess I set up a TiVo wishlist for it, and keep my eyes open for latenight TV...

Anyone else?  

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2002, 07:32:03 PM »
Daivd Selby in Falcon C.! :)

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline MrsJ

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2002, 07:37:13 PM »
My fave non-DS performance by our dear Grayson was as Miss Judith Fellowes in "Night of the Iguana". Miss Fellowes was such a dedicated chaperone to young Charlotte Goodall and that evil "Rev" T. Lawrence Shannon was so cruel to her. Miss Fellowes was so dedicated to Charlotte she was willing to sleep at the foot of her bed if Charlotte so desired! ;D

A powerful performance as Judith Fellowes for certain.  I'm always torn between her role in "Iguana" and that of Pepe in "Satan in High Heels".  I understand it is a film she would have rather forgotten, but her portrayal of Pepe is a delight to watch.

MrsJ.

Offline CD_Tate

• Junior Poster
  • I'm soooo artistic.
    • View Profile
    • Pix:
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2002, 07:53:18 PM »
Satan in High Heels sounds like a hoot!  I love the descriptions at Amazon and imdb...  Looks readily available; it's going to the top of my online DVD shopping list...   I love that kind of stuff...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2002, 08:43:48 PM »
Grayson Hall in Satan in High Heels definitely tops my list.  She was like buttah in that film!  And rather sexy, too, which is something else that makes it stand out from the rest of her oeuvre.

Thayer David in the original Nero Wolfe pilot film of the Seventies is another treat.  Thayer David is always fabulous to watch, but this gave him some wonderful lines and situations to play, plus he was at the center of the action, where I always felt he belonged. It's a shame that this movie has never been released on video.

I'd love to see Joan Bennett in the Reckless Moment, but have yet to track it down.  

Haven't seen very much of Lara Parker's other work, but of what I have seen, her guest role on Kolchak: the Night Stalker is a lot of fun.  Apparently it was less than fun for her to do because of some tension between herself and the show's star, Darren McGavin.  Lara played a young, powerful witch moonlighting as a fashion model.  Nina Foch was in the episode, too, in a role somewhat reminiscent of Susan Hayward in Valley of the Dolls.

Even though it was a non speaking role for him, I love watching Jonathan Frid in the early 70s TV film with Shelley Winters, The Devil's Daughter.  He projected a great deal of emotion without speaking a word, plus the movie had a great cast.

At a Dark Shadows Festival many years ago I saw a wonderful clip of Clarice Blackburn appearing in a courtroom drama of the 1950s.  I looked up the movie on IMDB.  The name eludes me and I've never been able to track down a print, but it was a wonderful moment.  I wish MPI would release stuff like this as part of their DS collection.

Two of my "holy grails" are Grayson Hall's first movie appearance, in a very low budget film shot on location in Greenwich Village in 1957, Run across the river.  Interestingly it was also Jerry Stiller's movie debut.  And the other one is a 1965 one hour featurette she did with Jack Hawkins and Shelley Winters, Back to Back, shown in the Bob Hope Chrysler Theatre series.  It's proven frustratingly elusive.

Gothick

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2002, 09:20:19 PM »
Unfortunately I've seen very few performances by DS actors in other movies or shows, but two stand out and both are found in favorite shows of mine:

Thayer David is the owner of a magic shop in one of the best Columbo episodes of all time, "Now You See Him" starring Jack Cassidy as the killer.  In it, TD scares Columbo with a miniature guillotine.  He also clues the detective in on how the murderer might have staged a very clever alibi.  

Lara Parker plays an exotic dancer named Angie (Angelique reincarnated?) and the mistress of a shady, murdered guy in a Quincy M.E. episode, but because A&E foolishly doesn't air the show anymore, I don't recall much else.  :'(

Which brings me to something decidedly OT:

I don't suppose anyone here gets Quincy, M.E.?  If so, please let me know.  I really miss that irascible, crusading coroner!

Can't hurt to ask.
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline CD_Tate

• Junior Poster
  • I'm soooo artistic.
    • View Profile
    • Pix:
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2002, 09:38:23 PM »
In another SciFi guest appearance, KLS plays an alien victim of mind control in "Dorzak," the final-ever episode of Space: 1999, also in my permanent DVD collection...

She doesn't have a lot to do other than wake from bed in sick bay and start screaming, but it was good to see her.  Looks like it was filmed not long after DS ended, she's still very young, but with shorter hair...

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2002, 09:43:30 PM »
John Karlen, as Harvey Lacey,  of course.  He more than held his own with that Richter Scale-registering persona otherwise known as Tyne Daly.  

Rainey...who's going back to bed now.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2002, 09:47:54 PM »
Craig Slocum in "Is This Love?" (1957), an educational film shown in schools. To wed or not to wed - that is the question. Should Peggy and her boyfriend marry at the end of the semester? Or should they be old fashioned and wait like Andy (Craig Slocum) and Liz? Craig was 17 years old in the film, I love his scenes, especially the love scene! Sure looked like he was a good kisser. The woman who played his girlfriend looked old enough to be his Mom! Craig sure looked good 45 years ago, makes a young woman wish for older days!  :-*
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2002, 10:05:06 PM »
I've just got to see that one!

I just looked it up, since you mentioned it, and it turns out that The Deep End--one of my favorite independant films from last year--was a remake of that movie...  I can't wait to see the original, with our dear Ms. Bennett...  But it doesn't look like it's out on video or DVD...   Oh well, I guess I set up a TiVo wishlist for it, and keep my eyes open for latenight TV...

The Reckless Moment is an elusive film.  Max Ophuls directed it; James Mason and Joan Bennett starred.  It's got a reputation as a noir of a slightly different kind.  

Unfortunately, it was never released on video.  There's a poor quality bootleg that surfaces on eBay now and then.  I would kill for a decent copy as mine is pretty bad, but I wouldn't get rid of the one I've got for the world.    Happy hunting.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline CD_Tate

• Junior Poster
  • I'm soooo artistic.
    • View Profile
    • Pix:
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2002, 10:05:11 PM »
John Karlen, as Harvey Lacey,  of course.  He more than held his own with that Richter Scale-measuring persona otherwise known as Tyne Daly.
I'd totally forgotten about that...  He was great on that show...   I'd love to see those reruns again.

Offline Maria_Merriweather

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2002, 11:05:07 PM »
John Karlen was good in a movie called "Babycakes".
He played the father of Ricki Lake (a plump girl who falls in love with a hunk).  Also, he was pretty good in
"Daughters of Darkness".  :)
MM