Author Topic: Favorite non-DS performance by cast?  (Read 6158 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite non-DS performance by cast?
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2002, 06:02:04 AM »
Dear Cassandra,

Many years ago, (after DS had been off the air for a number of years) I was sitting in an off Broadway theatre, reading the playbill for a show called "Moonchildren."  The play dealt with a group of college students who lived in an apartment building.  Mr. McMillan played the likable (and exceedingly foul-mouthed) superintendent of the apartment building.

Anyway, the playbill listed Dark Shadows as one of Mr. McMillan's past credits.  I sat there, trying to remember just who he played on the show.  It wasn't until the local PBS station started airing Dark Shadows that I saw that the late, great Mr. McMillan portrayed:

SPOILER!!!

Sailor Jack Long who tries unsuccessfully to help the doomed Paul Stoddard escape the Leviathans and also the apparently unnamed Paralled Time 1970 bartender (and Bob Rooney's putative PT counterpart) who runs/owns the Eagle Tavern.  (The place of employment for the immortal Buffie Harrington.)  

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2002, 06:10:27 AM »
 :o WHAT?! John Karlen was on Mad About You? I used to watch that show regularly until they had the baby and then dumped the actors who played Helen's parents in order to bring Carroll O'Connor and Carol Burnett on.

I wasn't watching DS at the time, and wouldn't have recognized Karlen anyway. I don't think he was her dad though, was he? What part did he play?

I just checked IMDB. Paul Dooley was Gus Stemple #l from 92-93; John Karlen was Gus Stemple #2 from 93-96 while Carroll O'Connor was Gus Stemple #3 from 96 till end of series.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline scout75

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2002, 06:22:53 AM »
Dennis Patrick - "Joe," "All In the Family"

Dennis Patrick was also in an episode of The Rockford Files; Lara Parker and Thayer David made appearances on the series as well.
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2002, 08:20:17 AM »

I just checked IMDB. Paul Dooley was Gus Stemple #l from 92-93; John Karlen was Gus Stemple #2 from 93-96 while Carroll O'Connor was Gus Stemple #3 from 96 till end of series.

Drat Carol now i'm going to have to suffer through those reruns waiting for him to appear! just checked the IMDB
and there was a cute picture of Harv...ey and Mary Beth
thanks

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2002, 10:11:38 AM »
Dennis Patrick was also in an episode of The Rockford Files; Lara Parker and Thayer David made appearances on the series as well.

Also Jim Storm, Roger Davis, Mitch Ryan, Dana Elcar, Abe Vigoda, Joel Fabiani and George DiCenzo.

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2002, 06:11:08 PM »

Also Jim Storm, Roger Davis, Mitch Ryan, Dana Elcar, Abe Vigoda, Joel Fabiani and George DiCenzo.

Smarty-pants!  ;)
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2002, 08:23:43 PM »

Smarty-pants!  ;)

LOL!

And a ;) back atcha.

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2002, 08:56:44 PM »
Very funny I can't bear her either Was JK on it?
Loved Harv....ey on C&L only reason watched that show!

This isn't Harvey, Jen, but it's another pix from my collection. It's a promo for a guest appearance on Mike Hammer.

carolinamooon

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2002, 12:07:46 AM »
Dear Cassandra,

Many years ago, (after DS had been off the air for a number of years) I was sitting in an off Broadway theatre, reading the playbill for a show called "Moonchildren."  The play dealt with a group of college students who lived in an apartment building.  Mr. McMillan played the likable (and exceedingly foul-mouthed) superintendent of the apartment building.

Anyway, the playbill listed Dark Shadows as one of Mr. McMillan's past credits.  I sat there, trying to remember just who he played on the show.  It wasn't until the local PBS station started airing Dark Shadows that I saw that the late, great Mr. McMillan portrayed:

SPOILER!!!

Sailor Jack Long who tries unsuccessfully to help the doomed Paul Stoddard escape the Leviathans and also the apparently unnamed Paralled Time 1970 bartender (and Bob Rooney's putative PT counterpart) who runs/owns the Eagle Tavern.  (The place of employment for the immortal Buffie Harrington.)  

Well thanks Bob for clearing that up for me. :)
Thank goodness you're here to help us remember all the little people who ever were on DS, because for the life of me, I still can't recall this character. But it might have been because I really didn't care for the Leviathan scene, so I probably skipped through alot of it. ;)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2002, 12:42:25 AM »

Ohh, that is too funny in more ways than one! I didn't watch much the first year, then watched faithfully for quite a while. I didn't realize that the actor I considered her dad, was a. a replacement for ANOTHER actor and b. John Karlen/Willie Loomis. I just remembered this nice, believable looking couple who weren't big Hollywood names playing her parents for years. When they dumped them because they COULD get big Hollywood names, I thought they had just gotten too  full of themselves and it soured me on the show which was slipping anyway at that point. Now that I realize that I got on my high horse for John Karlen, I feel quite justified!
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2002, 05:06:33 PM »
I just remembered a classic episode of Lost in Space starring Dennis Patrick as the Golden Man, Mr. Keemo. That was a stand-out episode of that series.

He was in an episode of Bonanza too.  It was called "The Hopefuls" and he played a gambler down on his luck.  He and the good-looking Cartwright brother (the one who grew the beard and was in Trapper John, M.D.) teamed up with a group of Quakers or something.  Larry Gates who went on to be HB on Guiding Light played one of the Quakers.  IIRC (I was in the laundromat when I saw this), the Quakers were carrying all this money and while the Cartwright brother was off playing tonsil hockey with Larry Gates' pious daughter, Patrick and some generic bad guys schemed to steal the money.

He looked good.  8)

Luciaphil
(who misses Rawhide and wishes they would air it again)
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2002, 06:26:51 AM »
Lifetime will be airing an episode of "Mad ABout You" with John Karlen entitled "Flashback" Part 1 tomorrow at noon. It repeats at 1:00am that night. On Tuesday at 11:00am, another episode entitled "Giblets for Murray" will have him in it.

In October, TV Land will be adding the show "Shazam!" to it's line up on Friday and Saturday nights at 1:30am. The John Karlen one will probably air either the first or second week of October.

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2002, 05:19:43 PM »
Lifetime will be airing an episode of "Mad ABout You" with John Karlen entitled "Flashback" Part 1 tomorrow at noon. It repeats at 1:00am that night. On Tuesday at 11:00am, another episode entitled "Giblets for Murray" will have him in it.

In October, TV Land will be adding the show "Shazam!" to it's line up on Friday and Saturday nights at 1:30am. The John Karlen one will probably air either the first or second week of October.

Correction, the "Flashback" episode does not air today but it airs on Monday.

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2002, 05:34:17 PM »

Thank you, VWR, so much for this tip! Your a sweetie!
carolinamooon

Offline Minja

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2002, 05:53:32 PM »
[color=87CEEB]Can't believe Mitch Ryan's name hasn't come up yet...unless I Evelyn Wood sped read over it.  He's shown up a lot over the years on TV and film.  Episodes of Hotel and Love Boat.  And movies like The Judgement and Lethal Weapon!  He's developed quite a range since his DS days, whether he's a wiley southern lawyer or an evil special ops general.

And another conspicuous MIA here is Christopher Bernau, who after his stint as our beloved Phillip Todd in the Leviathan storyline, and a few other things, was the crafty Alan Spaulding on Guiding Light!  His hijinx when teamed with Michael Zazlo's Roger Thorpe were Daytime TV Gold!

I'm sure I speak for a number of the Selby Sisterhood when I say that David's performance in Girl In Blue is quite....revealing!  Mmmmm, Mmmmm, Mmmmm!  Gotta love the afterglow that follows that!
[/color]

[shadow=purple,left,300]Always, Minja[/shadow][/size]
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"