Author Topic: Another New Slideshow  (Read 40706 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Another New Slideshow
« Reply #225 on: March 28, 2011, 05:09:42 AM »
Another gorgeous shot of Grayson today.  That outfit seems to have been the one new ensemble that Julia was given to wear--the outfit she wears in a later crucial scene with Barnabas, accessorised by a beautiful scarf, may have been new as well,I'm not sure.  This vest themed ensemble is absolutely cutting-edge Seventies and a complete departure from the other wardrobe she had on the series.I really like her hair in this scene, too; it's much more under control than is the case of much of the rest of the movie.

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 25, 2011, 10:52:09 PM »
I just keep coming back to today's photo, and just figured out why; in my perverted little mind, this is Julia's line to the Vulnerable Vampire:

"Barnabas, we have a change of pace tonight.  Tonight, I'd like YOU to play Doctor, Barnabas."

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 30, 2011, 06:13:49 AM »
Grayson exudes such fragile, vulnerable, tragic, weary beauty in tonight's shot.  The shot immediately preceding it, where she's wearily toking away on what you suspect to be her ninety-ninth cigarette of the evening, is so very sad--she's back again on that boulevard of broken dreams.

G.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 30, 2011, 12:38:28 PM »
Yeah, I remember that one from last year.  I just happened to be having trouble around that time with a scene in my never-to-be-finished (because I'm lazy) fan fiction opus in which Julia's at Widow's Hill thinking about jumping, and that capture appeared, and MB very kindly put it into this thread.  No more trouble, the scene got written within a day or two.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 30, 2011, 04:00:20 PM »
It's a wonder that DC actually allowed that scene in the film because, after all, it's so character oriented, and most such scenes ended up on the cutting room floor in favor of the blood and gore scenes. DC could have easily cut from the shot of Julia up on the tower watching Barnabas and Maggie's walk to Julia in the bathroom at the Old House preparing Barn's injection with Stokes' warning that Maggie is the only woman Barn is interested in echoing through her mind. I suppose we should be grateful for small favors because the loss of that scene would have been a major loss if it had never been included...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 02, 2011, 04:57:40 AM »
Today's shot just may be The Best. EVAR.

Grayson.  The Actress.  The Presence.  The WOMAN.

Thanks, MB.

G.

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #231 on: June 02, 2011, 11:58:29 AM »
I missed the shot :(  ::sigh::
But I totally agree...Grayson rocks! What a woman, and a legend.

Love,

Heather H.

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 02, 2011, 03:47:42 PM »
Heather, the shot Gothick is referring to is the one that's still atop the Current Talk '11 I board. The images for this slideshow change at 7pm ET/ 4pm PT.  [ghost_smiley]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 03, 2011, 03:44:49 AM »
I forgot to mention the other day that the capture Gothick and Lydia were talking about on May 30th is highlighted back in reply #162.

The most recently discussed Julia capture is highlighted back in reply #166.  [ghost_smiley]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 22, 2011, 04:18:18 PM »
Also, that's a fab shot of Paul Michael just filling the screen with character in his walk-on bit in hoDS tonight.

And here it is:

hoDS: Scene #225 - Jeff: 'What time they give you this?'

We can be thankful for that capture because DC had the camera on Paul Michael while RD delivered his quoted line. But then, many of us are probably thankful any time that RD isn't on camera in any of his scenes.  [ghost_wink]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 24, 2011, 01:42:15 AM »
Every time I see a shot like this one, MB, I thank the gods somebody made DC hire Arthur Ornitz as the cinematographer on this movie.  I think it is thanks to Ornitz that there are a few classic moments of style, atmosphere, and subtly evocative terror--not to mention some gorgeous use of color and shadow--in the movie.

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 13, 2011, 01:41:15 AM »
It was such a treat seeing the shots from the piano screen and reading the fruity, bitchy dialogue.  Thanks for choosing these!  I wonder whether by this time next year, we'll have the DVD with the restored scene available to enjoy whenever we wish to do so?

I also found myself wondering whether, in her own mind, Diana Millay was playing her Laura scenes in the movie with the subtext that this Laura, like the other two she had played, was destined to become a Phoenix?

Hoping Diana, Lara Parker and David Selby were all able to loop their original dialogue from this scene!  It seems destined to become a classic.  Thanks again to Darren for so heroically, indefatigably taking on the task of restoration!

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 23, 2011, 04:02:46 AM »
Wow!  I love, love, love that shot of Thayer David telegraphing oodles of subtext as the insidious Reverend Strak.  Just fantastic!

Thanks for keeping this series going, MB.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 23, 2011, 03:37:34 PM »
I've vowed that the Movies Quotes Slideshow will continue until both hoDS and NoDS are released on DVD/Blu-ray - so it's looking like it will be continuing for at least another year.

And as for Thayer David/Strak, whenever anyone would like to reflect on that particular capture, just check out reply #36 where it has been immortalized.  [hall2_smiley]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 25, 2011, 02:02:53 PM »
That's great to hear, MB, about the movie slideshows.

Perhaps once the original feature films come out, you can at some point contemplate doing slide shows for the Depp film and the 2004 pilot--presuming that those are likely to be released on disc at the same time.

I am loving today's action packed shot with Ange and a blonde Mrs J (Mrs Castle in the movie) confronting one another--I think of it as the "Back away, Bitch!" pose ... I leave it to your discretion as to who is uttering the line...

G.