Author Topic: Another New Slideshow  (Read 40861 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Another New Slideshow
« on: July 02, 2009, 12:00:54 AM »
Today marks the debut of another new slideshow that joins the Quotes Slideshow (here on the Current Talk board) and the Episode Captions Slideshow (on the Robservations board) - the Movies Quotes Slideshow. This slideshow is to celebrate the buildup to both DS movies (hopefully) being released on DVD next year and is based on the Fest's 1999 Movie Calendar of quotes. Like the 1990 Calendar Of Quotes, which took its quotes directly from the DS scripts, the 1999 Movie Calendar takes its quotes directly from the shooting scripts from both movies, starting at the beginning of each film and continuing chronologically through the end (and in the case of NoDS, that means in the order the scenes appear in the script, not the order they appear in the released version of the film). In the Movies Calendar case, however, that means the quotes not only come from scenes in the actual movies, but also from cut/trimmed sequences as well as never shot sequences. I have many photos from the cut/trimmed sequences, so whenever possible they will be a part of the graphic for those quotes. Obviously, though, there won't be any photos featured from the never shot sequences. Two such quotes just happen to kick off this new slideshow - but in the case of these sequences I'll post a brief explanation in this topic of how the quotes fit into the scripts so that those who may not have copies of the scripts will still be able to understand.

NoDS is featured on the calendar from July 1st through December 31st, so the slideshow will be focusing on NoDS exclusively for the next six months - hoDS will begin to be focused on January 1st of next year, and it will continue through June 30th.

Enjoy.  [ghost_smiley]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Another New Slideshow
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 12:04:34 AM »
Quote:[spoiler]NoDS: Scene #3 - Hippy: 'Hey, you dirty ... I'm lost, man! I'm lost!'[/spoiler]

Context:[spoiler]If shot, this would have been the first line of dialogue in NoDS. A hippy stands on the side of a road in a "heavy driving rain." Seeing an approaching car, he tries to flag it down, but it speeds by and he is "engulfed in a wave of water." The quote is his angrily screamed response.[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 04:48:34 AM »
Quote:[spoiler]NoDS: Scene #17 - Hippy: 'What the hell is going on?'[/spoiler]

Context:[spoiler]Having discovered and gotten inside a supposedly deserted Collinwood, the hippy has been seeing "a strange iridescent glow" in various areas of the house. Here he sees the glow again at the far end of the second floor corridor. The quote pretty much speaks for itself as to his reaction.[/spoiler]

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 06:36:29 AM »
Seems like a cool endeavor to me! [ghost_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 12:09:48 AM »
Quote:[spoiler]NoDS: Scene #46 - Quentin: 'Well, I was and all night, dreaming very strange dreams.'[/spoiler]

Context:[spoiler]In dialogue that doesn't appear on the calendar, Tracy remarks that she woke up during the night and Quentin wasn't in bed. The quote is Quentin's insisted reply. However, Tracy (and the audience) knows that Quentin did indeed get up. What Tracy doesn't know (but the audience does) is that Quentin made a mysterious trip to the tower room.[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 08:58:17 PM »
Quote:[spoiler]NoDS: Scene #64 - Quentin: 'I can't tell you how happy I am with the tower room.'[/spoiler]

Context:[spoiler]Scene #64 takes place in the master Bedroom at night following the scenes in which Carlotta took Quentin to the tower room. Obviously he's speaking to Tracy.

And for those who don't have a copy of the script,  Scene #63 is not the scene in which Quentin discovers Charles' unfinished painting of Angelique - that doesn't come up until Scene #84. Scene #63, also cut, is simply Carlotta leaving the tower looking pleased.[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 12:02:20 AM »
Today's and tomorrow's entries in the Movies Slideshow actually depart from what's listed on the Movies Calendar because the quotes on the calendar were taken from the March 10th version of the NoDS script, but revisions were made to the script on March 31st. The calendar lists two quotes for August 10th and 11th from a memory flashback that Quentin has of a scene between Charles and Gabriel. However, the new version of the script replaced that scene with the piano scene between Charles, Angelique and Laura. Though the scene between Charles and Gabriel wasn't dropped - it was simply reworked slightly and placed later in the script where, I think anyway, it makes more sense. Interestingly, though, the only part of the scene that exists in the present version of NoDS is as a voiceover portion of Quentin's dream. The infamous one in which he goes to bed wearing a yellow pair of pajamas but later dreams in a completely different blue pair. But that's what happens when you're forced to combine portions of Scene #40 with Scene #103.  [ghost_sad]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 12:17:04 AM »
The still of Diana Millay you chose to illustrate this scene is simply ravishing, MB.

I wish Diana's dialogue track had survived.  I can really hear her saying these words.

I loved the piano sequence when I had the chance to see it at Darren's presentation some years ago.

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 12:13:06 AM »
MB!  I am cackling away at Ang's dialogue from today's deleted scene. 

"Laura my darling" indeed!  What a hoot!

Thanks so much for sharing!

cheers,

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 12:14:00 AM »
Quote:[spoiler]NoDS: Scene #68 - Quentin (to Tracy): 'I was just waiting for you.'[/spoiler]

Context:[spoiler]This line of dialogue takes place in the scene immediately following the memory flashback with Charles, Angelique and Laura after Tracy arrives in the doorway to the drawing room and asks Quentin if he's all right.

(Shortly afterward they go on their picnic, which are yet more scenes that, for the most part, aren't included in NoDS as it stands. Nor are they included on the Movie Calendar. But then, there's very little dialogue in them.)[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 12:10:10 AM »
Quote:[spoiler]NoDS: Scene #81 - Tracy (to Claire): 'I'm a little concerned about Quentin. I don't think he's getting a lot of work done.'[/spoiler]

Context:[spoiler]This line of dialogue is but the first in a series of quotes that will be featured in the Movies Quotes Slideshow over the next several days and that are taken from Tracy and Claire's shopping trip. Here the two women are driving along in Claire's car and obviously discussing Quentin.[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 12:04:39 AM »
Quote:[spoiler]NoDS: Scene #82 - Claire: 'Is he worried about it?'[/spoiler]

Context:[spoiler]Still talking about Quentin - but now Claire and Tracy are walking along looking in the windows of the various shops.[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 01:16:10 AM »
Quote:[spoiler]NoDS: Scene #82 - Tracy: 'Sometimes he seems so far away, it's hard to know what he's thinking.'[/spoiler]

Context:[spoiler]Still talking about Quentin. Still walking along looking in the windows of the various shops.[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 12:00:10 AM »
Quote:[spoiler]NoDS: Scene #83 - Gregory (to Tracy): 'Oh, do I have something for you ... it's madness it's so perfect.'[/spoiler]

Context:[spoiler]Having gone into a New York style boutique that Claire is familiar with, Tracy meets "the very mod" Gregory, who instantly upon meeting her has "an insane dress" in mind for her.[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 12:00:11 AM »
Quote:[spoiler]NoDS: Scene #83 - Tracy: 'It's very me ... but it's completely un-Quentin.'[/spoiler]

Context:[spoiler]Obviously Tracy is commenting on the dress Gregory has in mind for her. One wonders if it's the one she wears to the dinner with Claire and Alex. We do know from Alex' comment at the dinner that apparently Claire buys something new.[/spoiler]