Author Topic: Another New Slideshow  (Read 40880 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Another New Slideshow
« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2010, 06:51:11 AM »
Sadly, it isn't called The 3 Bears anymore, and the interior has been remodeled.  [snow_sad]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 31, 2010, 01:19:17 AM »
Before I get into explaining Scene #80, I should probably mention that on the calendar yesterday's quote is attributed to Stokes rather than Liz. Perhaps it was indeed Stokes' line in some version of the script - but not in DC's or the novelization. And actually, Scene #80 seems to have been severely cut down by the time DC's versions of the script was put together because an entire portion in which Roger, Julia, Stokes, Carolyn and Liz discuss Nancy Hodiak's attack is completely gone - though that is more than likely because DC had no intent to shoot to the Nancy Hodiak sequence. Though, interestingly, the scene is described on the hoDS shooting schedule as "They discuss Nancy's death." Go figure...

Also, the quote that appears on the calendar for Julia ('She still doesn't remember anything. And that seems odd to me. Very odd.') is totally different than the one that appears in the script/novelization (which is what I used).

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2010, 02:20:54 AM »
I hadn't noticed this thread before but I just wanted to say that I have really enjoyed all the outtakes from NODS and HODS etc! Thanks again MB for your hard work!

If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2010, 01:01:21 AM »
Apparently today's quote from Liz appeared in some version of the hoDS script - but nothing like it is in DC's copy or the novelization...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2010, 04:33:58 PM »
MB, wasn't Liz's remark in the original script for the Costume Ball sequence?  Why I think that, I have no idea...

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 02, 2010, 01:14:38 AM »
It didn't even dawn on me to check to see if Liz' quote came from a different scene that the calendar hasn't gotten to yet. And really it should have because using quotes from entirely wrong eps was one of the major problems with the 1990 Calendar Of Quotes from the daytime show. But I just checked the costume party scenes, and Liz only has one line in the script, and it's not the one on the Movie Calendar for 1/31. (It's part of Scene #107A, a 3/11/70 rewrite, in reply to Barnabas thanking her for the party.) And, interestingly, the scene doesn't even appear in the novelization. In fact, the only reference to Liz at the costume party at all is a mention of her in the background talking to Stokes while Carolyn is looking for Barnabas. Odd...

As for today's quote, what a surprise, it differs from what's on the calendar: Barnabas: 'I am Barnabas Collins. May I come in?" And that quote also doesn't appear in the novelization - the novel has the same quote that's in DC's script, which is what is delivered in the film, and what I've used for the slideshow.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2010, 01:01:14 AM »
Today's and tomorrow's quotes come from an earlier version of another completely reworked scene (Scene #85). I'm getting the impression we're going to be seeing a lot of that...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2010, 01:00:36 AM »
Today's quote comes from Scene #85 as it was actually shot. It replaces the quote which appears on the calendar for today: Roger - 'For a moment I thought the portrait had come to life.'

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 06, 2010, 12:15:19 AM »
I think what almost immediately follows this shot is the first shot of Barnabas in the movie.  I always find that shot to be an unbelievably disappointing moment.  Even at age 12 when I first saw the film I was sophisticated enough to find this visual introduction of the character to be beyond underwhelming. 

On the whole, I actually find hoDS to be a visually compelling, occasionally even stylish film--that and the score are its strengths--but they really fell down in the filming of Barn's introduction to the Collinwood gang, in my not-so-humble opinion.

I'm guessing that this was one of those moments where they simply ran out of time and they were stuck using the best take from the rushes available for the final cut.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 06, 2010, 12:55:58 AM »
In the case of the above line of Roger's being from before Scene #85 was reworked, I can understand why it was dropped. If it had stayed in, it would have made Liz' similar comment in Scene #86 repetitious - whereas I think having Liz deliver her line while the audience sees a shot of Barnabas and the portrait is much more effective than having Roger refer to a portrait that the audience hasn't even seen yet.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2010, 01:00:20 AM »
Once again we have a situation where quotes are out of sequence on the calendar. The quote from Scene #86 that appears on the calendar for today won't actually appear in the slideshow until tomorrow. After all the quotes for Scene #86 have appeared, I'll sort them out as I did with Scene #19.

As for Liz' quote on the calendar, it's much shorter: 'Carolyn, isn't it incredible? The likeness...'

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 08, 2010, 01:04:04 AM »
The quote that's on the calendar for Julia: 'Barnabas Collins? I was just reading about him in 1797.'

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2010, 01:01:40 AM »
Today's quote in the slideshow is very different from what's on the calendar: Barnabas - 'You were reading of my ancestor, Madam.' But then, what's on the calendar is in response to what's on the calendar for Julia's quote.

Today also happens to be the last time that quotes are out of sequence from Scene #86. The quote that appears on the calendar for the 6th should have appeared on the 7th, the quote that appears on the 7th should have appeared today, the quote that appears on the 8th should have appeared on the 6th, and the quote that appears for today should have appeared on the 8th.  [snow_sick]  By contrast, amazingly, and even though a few differ somewhat from what's in the novelization and the final script, the remaining quotes from Scene #86 do actually appear in the correct sequence on the calendar.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 11, 2010, 01:41:46 AM »
What's on the calendar for today: Barnabas - 'How much you look like that portrait. Naomi Collins, isn't it?'

It's interesting how Liz' resemblance to Naomi was completely dropped from the final script, the novelization and the film.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2010, 04:34:55 PM »
True, MB, but from this snap I actually can see (which I never was able to before over many viewings of this movie--I guess I just never thought to hit the pause button at this point) that they made a rather crude attempt to paint Joan's face on that portrait.  So, presumably, there were instructions given to the set people that the portrait was supposed to resemble Joan Bennett.

G.