Author Topic: Another New Slideshow  (Read 40872 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Another New Slideshow
« Reply #120 on: March 23, 2010, 06:46:25 AM »
I'm afraid I missed the remaining images from this scene since I was out in San Francisco for a few days.

Dare I hope that I will get a shirtless snap of Don Briscoe, perhaps the fabulous one of him standing beside a classical bust, in the near future??

cheers, G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 23, 2010, 07:09:42 PM »
I'm afraid I missed the remaining images from this scene since I was out in San Francisco for a few days.

Well, here's a retrospective of the entire sequence (click on the images to see a larger version - click on the spoiler button to see the quote):

[spoiler]hoDS: Scene #119 - Stokes: 'I
see you're still working on the
blood samples of the victims.'[/spoiler]

[spoiler]hoDS: Scene #119 - Julia: 'I've
discovered a cell in these
samples that I've never seen
before.'[/spoiler]

[spoiler]hoDS: Scene #119 - Stokes: 'Julia
-- do you believe in the existence
of vampires?'[/spoiler]

[spoiler]hoDS: Scene #119 - Julia: 'You're
not -- really serious --'[/spoiler]

[spoiler]hoDS: Scene #119 - Stokes:
'You know there are many well
documented cases for it -- some
from the Twentieth Century.'[/spoiler]

[spoiler]hoDS: Scene #119 - Julia: 'Well, I
know about the legends.'[/spoiler]

'There's no animal in this area
that attacks people for their
blood.'[/spoiler]

[spoiler]hoDS: Scene #119 - Julia:
'Assuming you're right, this cell
that I've discovered would
indicate that this creature,
whatever it is, might be curable.'[/spoiler]

'Vampirism is not a disease, Julia.
Vampires are the living dead.'[/spoiler]

Dare I hope that I will get a shirtless snap of Don Briscoe, perhaps the fabulous one of him standing beside a classical bust, in the near future??

I haven't worked on anything beyond March 24th yet. But there probably won't be any coming up unless Todd is in the background.

Complain to the Fest.  ;)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 24, 2010, 12:03:17 AM »
The reason why today's quote is listed as coming from "hoDS: Scene #13?" will be explained tomorrow once the next quote appears in the slideshow.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 24, 2010, 03:38:18 PM »
What a ravishing showcase, a beautiful tribute to a favorite scene.

Thanks, MB!

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 25, 2010, 12:17:12 AM »
It's a bit of mystery to me where/how yesterday's quote (Stokes: 'There are two ways a vampire can be destroyed. By driving a wooden stake through the heart, or by using silver bullets') and today's (Sheriff: 'We've imposed a curfew on the town of Collinsport. No one will be allowed out after dark') fit into the hoDS script because neither is in DC's script or the novelization - nor are there lines that even slightly resemble them. One thing we can probably deduce, though, is that presumably they originally appeared somewhere between Scene #133, which we've already seen in the slideshow, and Scene #138, which we'll be seeing on Thursday.

There is a scene in the novelization of Roger and Stokes going to the sheriff's office to get him to go along with them to open Carolyn's coffin - but in that scene Stokes doesn't make any remarks about how vampires can be killed, and that scene doesn't appear in DC's script, so it's hard to tell if that was simply a scene that was made up for the novelization as a few were. Nor does Stokes make any remarks about how vampires can be killed in Scenes #135-#137, which deal with entering the mausoleum and opening Carolyn's coffin. It would seem that in Scene #137, which is the only one in the sequence containing dialogue, such a remark would make sense - as might the sheriff's remark that Collinsport is under a curfew. However, an interesting thing is that back in Scene #134 of the film, the one in which Julia treats Todd at the hospital after Carolyn has attacked him, Julia has already remarked about the sheriff having imposed a curfew, so it would seem superfluous for the sheriff to mention the curfew again in a scene that comes so closely afterward. But another interesting thing is that Julia's remark about the curfew in Scene #134 doesn't appear in DC's script or the novelization, leading me to believe that it was added at the point that the sheriff's line was dropped. But that still doesn't tell us where his line was originally - or where Stokes' was...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 28, 2010, 04:09:28 AM »
Just a comment to acknowledge the luminous, quietly stunning beauty of today's shot of Grayson.

Many thanks for this, MB.

cheers, G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 28, 2010, 02:26:29 PM »
did ohrbach's spring for some new wardrobe for HODS???

i don't recall dr. hoffman's massively collared yellow blouse/red vest ensemble from the series.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 29, 2010, 05:49:12 PM »
The ensemble you mention for Julia was new, and never worn by her on the series.  I think the other clothes she wore were recycled from the show.  I still don't understand why they made Joan wear the infamous lurid chartreuse shroud dress--it dated to 1966!  I would have thought she would have put pressure to get it changed but perhaps at that point in the proceedings she no longer cared.

hoDS set flunky to Joan:  "Hey, aren't you Joan Bennett?"

Joan:  "I used to be."

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 29, 2010, 06:25:11 PM »
It's an interesting question as to whether the new clothes came from Ohrbachs. I don't *think* they get a credit in the movie like they do on the series. And Ramse Mostoller is credited as "Wardrobe Designer." It would be interesting if she actually designed some of the clothes for the film.

But at any rate, here's the capture:

As for Liz' outfit:

I suspect Joan Bennett might have really liked it because she also wore it when she appeared on The Governor & J.J. in November of '70.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 29, 2010, 06:45:29 PM »
MB, honey, you really and truly blow my mind!  I loved the Governor and JJ, one of those forgotten series, but to actually be able to remember what Joan wore... I must have missed her appearance on the show because I am sure I would have remembered at least the fact of her being on it.

If she wore it on that show, presumably it was from her personal wardrobe. 

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 29, 2010, 07:07:37 PM »
Well, it's a "memorable" outfit - one that's certainly hard to forget once you've seen it.  [laughing11]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 30, 2010, 12:50:28 AM »
The Gov & JJ ep has screened at the last couple of Fests, and considering the repetitiveness of material shown at the events, I'm sure you'll have a chance to see it at the next one you attend.  And the one after that...

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 30, 2010, 02:50:13 AM »
as threadbare as the chartreuse caftan thing must have been by 1970 it looks like that at the time of it's purchase it was rather expensive and somebody...be it joan bennett or ramse mostoller or dan curtis or the suits at abc...decided to get their money's worth!

remember how mesmerizing it was when you first saw that god forsaken thing in color?

perhaps if this garment was bennet's own it was not in fact bought at ohrbach's but at some swanky and long-defunct department store like bonwit teller or i.magnin. dreamy!

speaking of which the tradition of the caftan and the soap dowager is as time honored as the character itself. soap operas in the 1960's and 1970's loved to cast some down-on-her-heels actress from hollywood's "golden age" as some sort of grand matriarchal figure.think of not just joan but ruth warick as pheobe wallingford and anna lee as lila quartermain on "all my children" and "general hospital" respectively...all grand dowagers on their soaps and all costumed in variations of some floaty chiffon caftan,loads of costume jewelry and topped with some sort of ridiculously elaborate,overly glazed architecture as a hairdo.

me thinks that this type of get-up is supposed to make their characters look "regal" or at the very least rich. at least that's how it was done in the 1970's...i don't watch soap operas anymore.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 30, 2010, 02:55:11 AM »
We're getting dangerously OT with this BUT when they show it, don't they normally show The Gov & JJ during the banquet? I can honestly say that I've never seen it at a Fest. But then, I've only attended one banquet - and only part of a banquet at that. Or maybe they've shown it in the mornings when I haven't even gotten up yet because I'd been up to the wee hours of the morning.  [b003]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 30, 2010, 02:59:02 AM »
Thanks, Midnite!  yes, they screen some material over and over and over again, but can Pierson be bothered to take the time out to return Grayson's Playtex commercial to her eagerly awaiting fans?  Aber nein!  *sobs*

I was thinking about Grayson's One Life to Live episodes this morning, for some reason, and wondering whether I'll ever get the chance to see more of them.  I just love how grandly she chews that rather threadbare scenery as Euphemia Ralston.

MSC, I am dying here from your descriptions of Ruth Warrick (who earns an honorary place in DS heaven since she played Big Lou's spouse on another soap) and Anna Lee, especially the glazed architectural hairdos!  LOL!  I think there's something distinctly Lady Bird Johnson about Joan's later (circa 1970) do.

G.