Author Topic: Another New Slideshow  (Read 40902 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Another New Slideshow
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2010, 12:17:04 AM »
That's really quite funny, mio caro Misterioso.  I could have sworn those lines were in the film.  I probably *think* that they were because they were, no doubt, included in the "Marilyn Ross" novelization, which from what I can recall followed the complete script fairly closely, down to scenes such as the ones with the Marie Wallace character that were cut before filming even began...

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2010, 05:02:26 PM »
Heavens to Murgatroyd, what a pair today's snaps make!  At Collinwood, Liz doesn't even notice that Daphne's out-of-control Wig Monster has begun EATING HER BRAIN.  Meanwhile, back at the Old House, in Episode # 666 (All Hail the Beast!), Julia's having a meltdown over how badly her accessories today are made of FAIL.

The drama is truly relentless at the Great House... and for All Who Live There...

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2010, 01:02:02 AM »
You may be asking yourself why the scene of Maggie looking for David at the Old House is coming after the scene between Liz and Daphne in the office when Maggie's scene comes before Liz and Daphne's scene in the movie? Well, that's because Maggie's scene was scripted to come afterward - and the calendar follows the script. However, DC did some creative editing with the film because Willie discovering and opening the coffin, Maggie searching and getting locked in a room at the Old House, and Liz and Daphne talking at Collinwood are intercut with each other, whereas the order the sequences are actually scripted to take place in their entirety are Willie, then Liz and Daphne, and then Maggie a bit later. In fact, in the script, Maggie doesn't even begin to look for David at the Old House until after Jeff has discovered Daphne after her attack.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2010, 01:02:28 AM »
Today's (and tomorrow's) quote comes from a scene that was completely deleted from the hoDS script. It was originally intended to be Julia's introduction and dealt with Julia questioning Jeff about what he might have seen when he found Daphne. Perhaps the reason it was deleted was because it covered similar ground to Scene #63 between Julia and Sheriff Patterson.  [idontknow]  But it wasn't out of the ordinary for scenes to be deleted from later drafts of the DS movie scripts - several scenes were subsequently deleted from both the hoDS and NoDS script. At least with hoDS, most appear in the novelization...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2010, 01:00:54 AM »
Today's quote is much shorter than what's on the calendar for January 19. The calendar lists: Maggie - 'All right David! That's enough! Let me out of here, David!' However, after hearing the noises and going to the door, what's actually in the film for Scene #52 is Maggie almost timidly questioning, 'David?' A huge difference...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2010, 01:05:59 AM »
Once again, today's (and tomorrow's) quote is totally different from what's on the calendar. Apparently Scene #63 was reworked before filming (the lines in the scene are slightly different from the even way they appear in DC's script, which itself is indicated as a March 25th rewrite). This reworking also required the switching around of which character's line appears in the slideshow on what day. Today the slideshow features Julia, while the calendar lists: Sheriff (to Julia) - 'But what kind of animal would attack...'.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2010, 09:10:39 AM »
Hey, Grayson Hall with big hair!  Cool!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2010, 01:00:22 AM »
Today the slideshow features the sheriff, while the calendar lists: Julia - 'The marks are not unlike those of a bat.'

Why do I suspect that Dick Smith's makeup might have had something to do with that line being dropped?  [wink2]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2010, 01:00:20 AM »
And once again the calendar features a quote from a previous version of a scene that was completely reworked before filming. Interestingly, this quote from Jeff doesn't even appear in the novelization, so perhaps it even predates the version of the hoDS script that was used for the novelization.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2010, 01:11:02 AM »
Today's quote is not the quote that appears on the calendar. The quote on the calendar: Maggie - 'I'm going to give my notice tonight,' actually comes from Scene #70 - but you'll note that today's quote comes from Scene #68C. And that leads us to an odd thing about the hoDS script: Maggie actually decides to leave Collinwood in two separate scenes. The reason for this, however, is that Scene #70 is part of the Nancy Hodiak portion of the script (where a second woman, supposedly to have been portrayed by Marie Wallace, is attacked after visiting Jeff's studio), but before shooting even began, DC had decided that none of that would be shot (supposedly because Marie Wallace dared to get another job on the NBC soap Another World - Somerset), so among the rewrites that are dated March 25th is a scene set earlier than the Nancy Hodiak portion where Maggie's decision to leave is dealt with. Though the real irony is that even the new scene doesn't appear in the film. As the film stands, we don't even learn that Maggie is leaving until the costume party. But don't even get me started on how far too many interesting and often important character moments were sacrificed on the altar of focusing more strongly on violence and gore...  ::)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2010, 05:01:57 PM »
Great still for today's slideshow--even though I'm not a fan of Maggie/Jeff (and neither, of course, was KLS--giggling at the memory of her filming diary), this is a really boss shot of them, and not one I think I've ever seen before.  Way to go MB!

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2010, 11:42:47 PM »
The only place I've ever seen the photo is in an hoDS article that was published in the September 1970 issue of TV Radio Talk. There were some other great photos published along with it - as well as an interview with Grayson Hall and Jonathan Frid about the making of the movie. The original actually shows more but I had to crop it to the right size for the graphic:

As for Magie and Jeff, it's interesting how so many of their scenes ended up being cut. And considering how KLS wasn't exactly thrilled with having Roger Davis play her love interest, I suspect she might have been a bit pissed that she'd put up with him for those scenes for nothing. Though at least DC managed to reign in RD's antics in what does appear on screen...

(And at least KLS' indication in her hoDS diary that there were plans for RD to also play her boyfriend on the daytime show never came to pass. Thankfully we never see RD again after his ridiculous (from a plotting perspective) appearance as Peter during Leviathans.)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2010, 12:05:36 AM »
I am naturally quite intrigued by the interview with Jonathan and Grayson.   I wonder whether this was around the time when they were riding together in a parade through a town and they were nearly mobbed by overly eager fans due to the failure of the cops to provide adequate manpower for the event.

It would be nice if decent scans of rare images such as these could be included in the eventual DVD release, but I'm not holding my breath.  A major disappointment in many DVDs has been the poor quality of the image galleries, for those who bother...

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2010, 04:59:44 AM »
Great still from the Blue Whale sequence tonight.  It makes me realize I have no idea where the Blue Whale scenes were filmed.  Was a room inside Lyndhurst itself rigged up to double as the Blue Whale, or was there another location for these?

I imagine the answer lies somewhere in the DS Movies Book...

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2010, 06:29:26 AM »
Actually, that's the Collinsport Inn (not that there's any way to identify it as such as the movie stands  :-\) - and it was "played" by the 3 Bears Inn located in Westport, CT. The outside of the inn also "played" Collinsport's Main Street for the deleted scene in which Willie warns Stokes...

It probably goes without saying, but the woman being referred to in both today's and yesterday's quotes is the sadly never seen Nancy Hodiak. I would have loved to have seen Marie Wallace play the role - but alas...