Author Topic: Announcing Watching Project #2: A Love Story Beyond Time  (Read 7090 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Announcing Watching Project #2: A Love Story Beyond Time
« on: August 19, 2008, 02:56:28 AM »
Inspired by this wish from earlier today:

I wish I could find someone (on the boards)...who loved the 1991 series too. ... It would be nice to converse with someone who shares my love for the show.

we're teasing by simply announcing Watching Project #2 - The '91 Series: A Love Story Beyond Time.

Details to follow...*

(* simply because all the details are still being worked out - but we couldn't resist teasing...)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Announcing Watching Project #2: A Love Story Beyond Time
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 03:15:26 PM »
Details are as follows:

Beginning Friday, September 12th and continuing through Friday, December 12th, the forum will conduct Watching Project #2 - the '91 series: A Love Story Beyond Time. Each Friday (with the exception of November 28th, the Friday after Thanksgiving) we will begin discussion of one of the 13 hours of the '91 series. That will require that the pilot be broken up into two parts. The first part will obviously begin at the beginning and it will end with [spoiler]Barnabas announcing to Joshua at the Old House that he's come home.[/spoiler]The second part will begin with [spoiler]Vicki attempting to teach David only to have to deal with what he's hiding in his desk[/spoiler] and it will obviously conclude with the end of the pilot. There will also be two side discussions with regard to the pilot: the differences between the restored pilot on VHS and the originally broadcast version that was shown on NBC and released on DVD, and how certain scenes in the pilot were presented in a different order from how they were chronologically scripted. And there will also be a similar discussion about a scene that was scripted for one ep but was included in a completely different one, as well as at least one scene that was originally shot including a certain character but which was later edited resulting in that character not even appearing in the ep at all. Also, look for other surprises along the way.

There's one major stipulation about this project, however, and we want it completely understood from the outset: we'll be approaching the show completely on its own terms and as if the original series never existed (basically recreating the experience that newer DS fans had in '91 when they came to love DS via their first exposure to it through the '91 series). It will certainly be perfectly fine to criticize the show on its own terms, but no comparing any aspects of it to the original. Any such comments or even hints of such comments will in all likelihood be subject to deletion. There are already plenty of topics on the forum that dissect and discuss the differences between the original and the '91 series - however, this project will exclusively focus on the '91 series as a stand alone version of DS.

So, with all that out of the way, the viewing schedule is as follows:

09/12: Part one of the pilot
09/19: Part two of the pilot
09/26: Ep #2
10/03: Ep #3
10/10: Ep #4
10/17: Ep #5
10/24: Ep #6
10/31: Ep #7 (Halloween - how appropriate  ;))
11/07: Ep #8
11/14: Ep #9
11/21: Ep #10
11/28: (Skipped)
12/05: Ep #11
12/12: Ep #12

Happy viewing and we'll see you on September 12th for the start. (Midnite and I are getting excited already!!  [ghost_grin])

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 04:26:41 PM »
OK, I'm in!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 08:04:55 PM »
I am definitely in!  That also gives me plenty of time to get my DVDS back!! :)  Thanks MB and Midnite for doing this project!  I know it is for everyone but I also know it was prompted by one of my posts!!  I am so excited! [dancing_skeletons] [thewave] Can you tell??? [thumb]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 08:12:47 PM »
Sooo, Taeylor, how do you really feel?   [ghost_wink]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 08:53:53 PM »
I applaud the intent to discuss the 1991 DS as a stand-alone project.  Comparisons are invariably invidious (even if inevitable for some of us).

cheers, G.  (one of the very few posts I am likely to be making in this thread)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 09:48:10 PM »
Quote from: Gothick
invidious
::runs for dictionary::  [ghost_smiley]

(one of the very few posts I am likely to be making in this thread)

Oh that's too bad.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 10:10:06 PM »
Comparisons are invariably invidious

Some would like to think so, but not always. The '91 series received many excellent reviews - and, yes, even from reviewers who were original fans...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 10:44:54 PM »
Perhaps I should have said that comparisons, *as a class*, tend towards the invidious.  I was speaking more generally as regards criticism--not specifically stating that 1991 was invariably the loser in a comparison with the 1966 original (even if that IS what I personally think).

I know that having had the pleasure *winces* of seeing the trailer for the remake of The Women (a 1939 classic) yesterday, I can bet dollars to doughnuts that many of the reviewers of the new production will have their nails sharpened with the most lurid "jungle red" (as was said in the original) as they merrily shred the performances of Meg Ryan et al.

G.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 03:10:41 AM »
I guess I look at both shows as separate entities much like our watching project will be. I don't really look at the 1991 as a remake.  I simply view it as Dark Shadows if it had been produced (for the first time) in 1991.  I am glad that I can enjoy all forms of DS as it makes my DS experience (in general) all the better!! When I first started watching the original show I decided that I would not compare it to my FIRST DS experience and I think that is why I took to it immediately!
[vampsmiley]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline barnabasjr

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 03:34:52 AM »
I'm in! This will be sweet, thanks! [clap]
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 04:17:41 AM »
YAY!! We have another one who will watch with us!  Welcome to our party BarnabasJr!!  [wave]

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 05:34:49 PM »
Count me in!  This will be very fun and enjoyable. 

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 06:51:34 PM »
I'd like to, but need to get a copy of the 91 series.  My videotapes, alas, have not aged well.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 09:28:23 PM »
I am glad that I can enjoy all forms of DS as it makes my DS experience (in general) all the better!!

I feel the same. And I suppose the idea of a general notion that any sort of comparison of the '91 series to the original is going to come up lacking greatly saddens me because that's not at all the way I feel. In fact, I've often cited places when I believe the '91 series improved on the original - but I won't get into any of that again until this project gets underway. What does gladden me, though, is that, as the years have gone on, it seems as if an increasing amount of original DS fans are coming forth to express their enjoyment of the '91 series in basically the same vein as it took years for the increasing amount of fans who came forth to express their love of NoDS. And I salute both groups.  [salute]