Author Topic: Shadowgram Updates # 168 & 169- The Mystery Guest Revealed! (yeah, its cool!)  (Read 3333 times)

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
 ;D       ;D       ;D       ;D        ;D        ;D

ShadowGram Online Dark Shadows News Updates List
Marcy Robin's Cyberspace "Dark Shadows" News Update List
An Internet Publication of SHADOWGRAM
< ShadowGram@aol.com >

Number 168. April 21, 2007.

Hello, Dark Shadows Fan,

ShadowGram (SG), The Official Newsletter & News Source for Dark Shadows (DS), announces the following breaking news.

*** JONATHAN FRID GUESTS AT THE 2007 DS FESTIVAL CONVENTION

THE DARK SHADOWS FESTIVAL presents a special convention on August 17-18, 2007, at the Westchester Marriott Hotel in Tarrytown, NY, celebrating Jonathan Frid's 40th Anniversary of his first appearance as Barnabas Collins.

Jonathan Frid will appear in person at the event, presenting a dramatic program on stage as well as hosting a selection of his favorite moments from DS and a question-and-answer session with the audience.

Jonathan also will attend a Saturday night, August 18, banquet at the hotel, at which he will personalize a unique, commemorative autographed photograph of Barnabas for each banquet attendee.

The celebration marks Jonathan Frid's first appearance at a Dark Shadows event in over a decade!

The Festival also will host a Friday, August 17, day trip to the nearby Lyndhurst Estate, site of Collinwood from the 1970 and 1971 MGM motion pictures "House Of Dark Shadows" and "Night Of Dark Shadows."

Friday evening at the hotel will welcome several other DS stars in person.

Full and ongoing details will be announced shortly on this SG Online Updates List and in the upcoming SG #110 and subsequent SG print issues. (Subscription information for the published SG Newsletters is later in this Update.)

A U.S. postal mailing will be sent soon to all fans who send a self-addressed stamped envelope (SASE) to: Dark Shadows, P.O. Box 92, Maplewood, NJ 07040. Information also will be posted soon at www.darkshadowsfestival.com. Fans also are invited to visit Jonathan's official website now at www.jonathanfrid.com

Please do not send any payments to the Festival until the schedule and prices are announced by SG and the Fest.

It is highly recommended that all fans who plan to intend this convention make hotel room reservations immediately, by calling the direct Westchester Marriott Hotel Reservations Line at 1-800-882-1042. Be certain to mention "Dark Shadows" to receive the special discounted sleeping room rate of only $129.00 (+ tax) per night. This rate is only available for three nights starting Thursday, August 15 and ending Sunday, August 18.

The Westchester Marriott Hotel is at 670 White Plains Rd., Tarrytown, NY 10591. 914-631-2200. It is approximately 25 miles (45 minutes) north of Manhattan on the eastern shore of the Hudson River at the Tappan-Zee Bridge. The hotel is accessible by air, train, and driving. Closest major airports: JFK, LaGuardia, and Newark. Main highways: US-87, US-95, US 287, Route 9, and Route 119.

*** All fans attending the Fest event are invited and encouraged to share their photos and reports with SG. Your sharing helps each SG published issue be as complete as possible. Please send all materials to SG's e- or postal- mail addresses below. A Contributor's Copy issue is given in thanks for major input.

*** Subscription information for the SG print issues follows.
Subscriptions & Renewals:

US & Canada First Class Mail: $12.00 for 4 issues or $24.00 for 8 issues
Overseas Air Mail: US $ 20.00 for 4 issues or US $40.00 for 8 issues

Please send check/money order to:

Marcy Robin
P.O. Box 1766
Temple City, CA 91780-7766

You can pay online for your subscription/renewal using PayPal and ShadowGram@aol.com

Thank you.

Marcy Robin
ShadowGram Editor / Publisher
Marcy Robin, P.O. Box 1766, Temple City, CA 91780-7766
E-mail: ShadowGram@aol.com

SHADOWGRAM (SG) is the * Official * "Dark Shadows" Newsletter. Much of its news is provided by the show's personnel and those involved in the 1966-71 TV series, 1991 TV series, and 2004 WB pilot. Established in 1979, SG works directly with individuals, companies, and others involved in DS' creation, distribution, promotion, merchandise, etc.

Regular SG print issues are published throughout the year, with free bonus complimentary breaking-news published updates as needed.

Brief Update bulletins are posted on this ShadowGram Online "Dark Shadows" News Updates List / Marcy Robin's ShadowGram "Dark Shadows" Cyberspace News Updates List. These posts are sent via e-mail between regularly-published issues to quickly notify fans of time-sensitive developments. Each e-mail Update is expanded and detailed in the subscription postal-mail print issues. You also can receive this identical SG Online Update by joining the ShadowGram Group at yahoogroups

SG postal-mail print issues are immediately available:
--- US & Canadian First Class subscriptions: $12.00 for 4 issues, $24.00 for 8 issues.
---Overseas Air Mail subscriptions: US $20.00 for 4 issues, US $40.00 for 8 issues.

Please send print issue subscription payment to:

Marcy Robin, P.O. Box 1766, Temple City, CA 91780-7766.

Online subscription payment can be made via Paypal to: ShadowGram@aol.com

For more information on the newsletter, please write with a SASE (Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope) to the above postal-address or e-mail ShadowGram@aol.com

Whenever your e-mail address changes, please notify me immediately. Please include your old and new e-mail addresses. If you do not wish to remain on the Online "ShadowGram / Marcy Robin's Cyberspace Dark Shadows News Update List," please notify me directly via return e-mail. Thank you.

A Dark Shadows Festival  doesn't get any better than this! Awesome! What a great gift from Jonathan to us. Waiting until August is gonna be tough!   :D

Michael   ;D

Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Dear Lord, I almost peed my pants reading this. I tried to send off an email to Renee to tell her and for a minute forgot my password I was so excited. What a fun weekend this will be! [banana2] [banana]
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
I'm sure a good time will be had by all. I was surprised to see that JF would personalize a photo for each banquet attendee, which means that the tickets will probably sell out quick! And the Q & A session should be fun, but if you want to ask a question, best bet would be to line up an hour before the event begins (lol). Just kidding. Well...maybe. Not sure how it'll work out. 
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
so frid's coming to the fest!?!

that certainly changes the equation doesn't it.my hopes for the two day tarrytown event were not that high before this revelation.

didn't someone say weeks ago that the hotel was already booked?there's definitely going to be some "overflow" now.i wonder if there's another hotel in the area.i'm glad i live close enough that i can just come in for the day.i usually don't attend the rubber chicken banquet but frid's presence might make me change my mind.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
This news is sure to change the minds of some West Coasters who weren't going to bother coming. I do hope so! I'm so glad I booked my room as soon as it was announced. It's going to be some crowd -- that's for sure!

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
When the pricing of tickets is announced, I would encourage everyone who plans on attending the event to purchase the tickets immediately or at least Saturday's ticket.  That will sell out.  The venue is not overly large and once tickets for the day are gone, they're gone.

Nancy

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
didn't someone say weeks ago that the hotel was already booked?there's definitely going to be some "overflow" now.

mscbryk, you might be referring to this:
I've got two rooms booked already and they're just about full.
though I'm not sure of the source of this information.  But regarding...
ShadowGram:
This rate is only available for three nights starting Thursday, August 15 and ending Sunday, August 18.
...as of now, the nights of the 16th, 17th, and 18th ARE still available at the Festival rate.  (Thursday is actually the 16th, not the 15th, and just to clarify-- NO rooms are available at the Festival rate for the 15th.)

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
Oh, man, I WISH I could go! Hoping all you who are going will write LOTS of descriptions and take pix to post here?? Will anyone be able to record JF's remarks --maybe for YouTube?
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
I just want to acknowledge that it was really our beloved Nancy who broke this news in the "Jonathan Frid and Crypts" topic, which I hadn't read until after I posted the Shadowgram in full. Nonethless, it was great thrll when I woke up today and Diane said, "You gotta read this, honey."  :D
Again, looking very forward to seeing everyone on this special weekend.
Michael

Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Shadowgram Update #169 -- corrections to #168, plus Donna McKechnie news
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 06:54:41 AM »
This update corrects the previous one, though the Festival dates below are now incorrect.  Yeah, the two-day event format is hard for me to get used to also.   :-

ShadowGram Update #169ShadowGram Online Dark Shadows News Updates List
Marcy Robin's Cyberspace "Dark Shadows" News Update List
An Internet Publication of SHADOWGRAM
ShadowGram@aol.com

Number 169. April 22, 2007.

Hello, Dark Shadows Fan,

ShadowGram (SG), The Official Newsletter & News Source for Dark Shadows (DS), announces the following breaking news.

*** 2007 DARK SHADOWS FESTIVAL CONVENTION

The DS Festival Celebrates the 40th Anniversary of Jonathan Frid's First Appearance as Barnabas Collins
Friday, August 16 to Saturday, August 17, 2007
Westchester Marriott Hotel in Tarrytown, NY
Our special guest is JONATHAN FRID (Sat. only)

SG soon will announce other guests, programming, and more details.

*** CORRECTION – PLEASE NOTE HOTEL ROOM RATES & DATES:

The Westchester Marriott Hotel offers a special reduced room rate of $129.00 (+ tax) (single-quad) per night to Festival attendees. This applies for only 3 nights: Thurs., Aug. 16, Fri., Aug. 17, and Sat., Aug. 18. You must request the "Dark Shadows Rate" when making reservations directly with the hotel. A different, higher-priced room rate is in effect for Sun., Aug. 19, and any other dates.

SG Update #168 yesterday inadvertently had the incorrect dates in the hotel reservations section. (Note: The correct hotel room information * was * given in SG Online Update #167 on April 4.)

SG regrets any confusion or inconvenience from this accidental error. Thank you for your understanding.

The revised information about the 2007 DS Festival convention follows below, after the news about Donna McKechnie.

*** DONNA McKECHNIE STARS IN CLASSIC DRAMA

Donna (Amanda Harris/Olivia Corey) will star as "Amanda Wingfield" in the River City Repertory Company's production of Tennessee Williams' drama "The Glass Menagerie." Performances are May 17-20 and May 23-25
at the Scottish Rite Temple in Shreveport, LA.

Company publicity: The production launches the company's "Southern Theatre Series (to) explore a classic play written by a Southern writer or firmly situated in the Southern mystique." Donna's character is "a faded, tragic remnant of Southern hospitality" who tries desperately to hold her shredded family together.

The Scottish Rite Temple is at 725 Cotton St., Shreveport, LA 71101. The box office is off-site, so please make reservations by phone or online.

Tickets are $25-$35 (+ tax) and can be purchased by calling 318-424-6805. www.rivercityrep.org/news_menagerie.html

Fans attending the play are invited to share with SG their reports, photos, program book, and any local publicity, articles, and reviews.

*** JONATHAN FRID GUESTS AT THE 2007 DS FESTIVAL CONVENTION

THE DARK SHADOWS FESTIVAL presents a special convention on August 17-18, 2007, at the Westchester Marriott Hotel in Tarrytown, NY, celebrating Jonathan Frid's 40th Anniversary of his first appearance as Barnabas Collins.

Jonathan Frid will appear in person at the event, presenting a dramatic program on stage as well as hosting a selection of his favorite moments from DS and a question-and-answer session with the audience.

Jonathan also will attend a Saturday night, August 18, banquet at the hotel, at which he will personalize a unique, commemorative autographed photograph of Barnabas for each banquet attendee.

The celebration marks Jonathan Frid's first appearance at a Dark Shadows event in over a decade!

The Festival also will host a Friday, August 17, day trip to the nearby Lyndhurst Estate, site of Collinwood from the 1970 and 1971 MGM motion pictures "House Of Dark Shadows" and "Night Of Dark Shadows."

Friday evening at the hotel will welcome several other DS stars in person.

Full and ongoing details will be announced shortly on this SG Online Updates List and in the upcoming SG #110 and subsequent SG print issues. (Subscription information for the published SG Newsletters is later in this Update.)

A U.S. postal mailing will be sent soon to all fans who send a self-addressed stamped envelope (SASE) to: Dark Shadows, P.O. Box 92, Maplewood, NJ 07040. Information also will be posted soon at www.darkshadowsfestival.com. Fans also are invited to visit Jonathan's official website now at www.jonathanfrid.com

Please do not send any payments to the Festival until the schedule and prices are announced by SG and the Fest.

It is highly recommended that all fans who plan to intend this convention make hotel room reservations immediately, by calling the direct Westchester Marriott Hotel Reservations Line at 1-800-882-1042. Be certain to mention "Dark Shadows" to receive the special discounted sleeping room rate of only $129.00 (+ tax) per night. This rate is * only * available for three nights: Thursday, August 16, Friday, August 16, and Saturday, August 18.

The Westchester Marriott Hotel is at 670 White Plains Rd., Tarrytown, NY 10591. 914-631-2200. It is approximately 25 miles (45 minutes) north of Manhattan on the eastern shore of the Hudson River at the Tappan-Zee Bridge. The hotel is accessible by air, train, and driving. Closest major airports: JFK, LaGuardia, and Newark. Main highways: US-87, US-95, US 287, Route 9, and Route 119.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowgram Update # 168- The Mystery Guest Revealed! (yeah, its cool!)
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 04:26:40 PM »
I just want to acknowledge that it was really our beloved Nancy who broke this news in the "Jonathan Frid and Crypts" topic, which I hadn't read until after I posted the Shadowgram in full. Nonethless, it was great thrll when I woke up today and Diane said, "You gotta read this, honey."

Was that your doing, Kersey?
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Nancy, you are the "soul" of discretion! I bet you were bursting buttons to hold this news in -- LOL! Kudos to you!

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
Actually Nancy is the one to talk Mr. Frid into coming. Took her two years to get him to do it. Two years!!!
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Yes, JF was worked on to come but also the fan reaction to his website and recordings has pleased him very much.  For over a decade fans have encouraged him to make recordings available in CD and/or DVD form of his past performances and now because of the stated and persistent interest in his other (nonDS) work that will come to fruitition.    More information on recordings of his stage performances/reader's theatre programs becoming available will be divulged at a later date.

He's looking forward to the fan event in August and commemorating the 40th Anniversary of Barnabas' arrival on DS.  It will be exciting for everyone, I think!  I'm looking forward to it myself.

Nancy 

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowgram Update # 168- The Mystery Guest Revealed! (yeah, its cool!)
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 07:55:18 PM »
there's definitely going to be some "overflow" now.i wonder if there's another hotel in the area.

There's another Marriott just a short distance down the road, and it was used as the overflow back in '04.  I honestly found it to be a much better hotel than the Westchester Marriott. But I have no idea if it will be the overflow hotel this year.