Author Topic: Shadowgram Update #167 (Fest Dates & Location)  (Read 18153 times)

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowgram Update #167 (Fest Dates & Location)
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2007, 07:52:39 PM »
I've got two rooms booked already and they're just about full. I'm so grateful it's been announced and so looking forward to it, even if it's a night short of most festivals.

As for the train, those of you flying in will want to get to Grand Central Station (ask at the airport for the shuttle bus -- probably cheaper than a taxi, unless you share with other fest-goers). Once in the main terminal, go to the MetroNorth counter, Hudson Line. This is the train that will stop at Tarrytown. Make sure, though, that if it's an express train (depending on the time of day), it actually does stop at Tarrytown. I believe so, but it's been a while since I took MetroNorth. When you get to Tarrytown, the hotel won't be too far, but a taxi is definitely what you'll need.

Here's something else. I believe if you buy your train ticket at the counter in Grand Central, it's a tad cheaper than getting on the train and buying it from the conductor, but again, I'm not sure. I do know that's definitely the case if you buy a round-trip ticket. If you actually know when you'll be going back down to Grand Central, you might want to consider buying that round-trip ticket.

This is just great news! I'm hoping to meet lots of you there, at least, those I haven't already met! What fun!

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2007, 07:56:49 PM »
I'm still pushing for a Fest in the Pacific Northwest, Aren't we worthy up here. Portland does have the biggest book store west of the Mississippi, and Niki.  We have Amazon and Microsoft in Washington. Maybe someday.  :( :(

Oh I forgot View Master was also out of Portland. I could go on and on. Did you ever buy the DS reals.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2007, 08:05:14 PM »
We have ... Microsoft in Washington.

I'd leave Microsoft off of the list if I were you. They're more of a reason to stay away!  [Blow_Up_IE]

;D

Seriously, though - it might be nice if the Fests could be held in other parts of the country other than the NY/NJ area, CA, Las Vegas and Dallas. But it doesn't look like that will ever happen...

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2007, 08:46:44 PM »
It's easy.  Someone might even pick you up if you nice.

I always nice.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2007, 08:52:48 PM »
It's easy.  Someone might even pick you up if you nice.

It's easy even if you don't have someone to pick you up. You go from the airport to Grand Central Station, you take the train to Tarrytown, and then you take a taxi to the hotel. I don't remember the particulars (like if there's a shuttle from the airport to GCS or what the train number to Tarrytown is (the last Fest there was in 2004 afterall  ;)), but all that info is probably here on the forum on the Calendar Events / Announcements '04 boards. And even if it can't all be found there, all one need do is ask about it when making reservations or by checking out the airport and GCS Web sites (which is what I'd originally done).  :)

Thank you. Thank you. I'm going to rent a car at the airport. I'm going home to Massachusetts for a visit after the Fest. If they let me in.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2007, 09:01:09 PM »
I always nice.

Liar liar phoenix on fire
Hanging from David's wire.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2007, 11:20:15 PM »
Liar liar phoenix on fire
Hanging from David's wire.

Little fly upon the wall
Ain't you got no shoes a'tall?
Ain't ya got no shimmy shirt?
Ain't ya got no petty skirt?
Boo, fly! Ain't ya cold?

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2007, 11:24:12 PM »
Mixed feelings on this. I am extremely grateful that the announcement has finally been made.  It could not have been a moment too soon. However, I am discouraged that California is once again neglected (why is there never a West Coast Fest two years in a row?)  For those who can go, have fun.

Please don't give up so easily, Stoksie. You can find a way to come out east, cancha? We'll miss you if you don't.
Besides, I'm the secret guest. Now ain't that enough to make you run to Pan Am and buy a ticket?

Offline Bobubas

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2007, 12:58:25 AM »
Who here remembers when there were Fests on both the West and East coasts every year? But those days are long gone.  ::sigh::

I remember MB. It was 1991 to be exact.  ;D  Los Angeles in June and Thanksgiving weekend in NY.  Ah, the good ole days.  :)
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline sheenasma

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2007, 01:06:37 AM »
I highly recommend that anyone going plan on the banquet. It could be the only meal you get in that hotel.

n
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2007, 01:15:11 AM »
Ruth's Chris steak was terrific there, but insanely pricey.

High end restaurants like that seem out of place, when attached to a hotel.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2007, 01:19:53 AM »
I highly recommend that anyone going plan on the banquet. It could be the only meal you get in that hotel.
The "surprise guest" reference in the SG announcement may very well refer to wait staff in the hotel restaurant. If they bother to come by your table, it'll be quite surprising.

Hopefully, they've straightened that situation out, but the last Tarrytown Fest was the first time I spent the week before in NYC eating cheesecake every night and God knows what else and came home having lost weight, and I am not joking.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2007, 01:27:24 AM »
I wish I could go!  Now, for those of you who are going, and are wondering how to get to Tarrytown, whether to take the train, how about if some of you go together into renting a car, or even a van?  If a bunch of you arrive at, let's say, the Newark Airport, you can pick the wheels up, after chipping in, and head on up.  Or, if you want to really get into the swing of things, you can rent a convertable and as you're driving up to the mansion, one of you can pretend to be Quentin and stop the car and put up the roof when it starts to rain (you can all also fight over who gets to be Tracy).

Gerard

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2007, 01:29:56 AM »
tarrytown again? ???

wasn't the general consensus that tarrytown '04 was sparsely attended and even somewhat "lame"?

i didn't love it but no matter.i live only about an hour away by train so i'll do the day trip thing...and eat breakfast before i leave home.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2007, 02:02:35 AM »
i remember when there would be a west coast and east coast convention in the same year. those were the years jonathan frid would sometimes attend as well.