Author Topic: Worst DS Memorabilia?  (Read 7393 times)

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
Re: Worst DS Memorabilia?
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2006, 10:05:52 PM »
I just ordered the newest upcoming "memorobilia" - the first series of audio dramas from Big Finish!  I'm really looking forward to these.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2006, 03:57:26 AM »
Oh, I wouldn't buy one made of wood, glass maybe, like the original one on the show, but not wood.  8)

you are right it was glass that is why it was so pretty! my mistake

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2006, 01:10:03 PM »
Unlike the music box, here's one piece of DS memorabilia that seems to have been re-produced with quality in mind.

Well, either that or it was used as a prop and continued to be produced for practical purposes and not necessarially as the old "Willie Beater". 

I wouldn't mind having one but, I'd rather have a peice of jewelry based on the design.  I'd never smack Willie around with it though.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2006, 02:19:04 PM »
Unlike the music box, here's one piece of DS memorabilia that seems to have been re-produced with quality in mind.

I must say, the wolf-head canes I've seen at Festivals always seem to be of quality, but I'm not aware that they are produced by anyone associated with the show (MPI, DCP, Festival).  I always figured ppl either had them custom made or were just lucky enough to find them in specialty cane shops.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2006, 02:53:11 PM »
I must say, the wolf-head canes I've seen at Festivals always seem to be of quality, but I'm not aware that they are produced by anyone associated with the show (MPI, DCP, Festival).  I always figured ppl either had them custom made or were just lucky enough to find them in specialty cane shops.  ;)

There may be knock-offs but, I believe the genuine article (and the one JF used) is made in Germany by a company called Alpaca.  Here's one I just Googled...

From what I've observed over the years, the $267 price tag is pretty much average.  I've seen them on Ebay for a bit less.  The lowest price I've ever seen was an auction I followed (I'm nosey about such things from time to time) and the end price for a used cane was around $178.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2006, 03:13:50 PM »
I hope this isn't considered runor...
I have  been told (on one of the festival tours to Lyndhurst) that the canes used on the show were purchased at a shop near Carnegie Hall, that actually will custom size them for you. I was told that several were purchased from there throughout the course of the series, and as of that '90s, they were still in business.  I would not be surprised if they are a licensed distributor of the German cane Castelbee is describing.

Michael  [Candle]
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2006, 04:18:11 PM »
There may be knock-offs but, I believe the genuine article (and the one JF used) is made in Germany by a company called Alpaca.  Here's one I just Googled...

They are cool looking, I must say.  But I never understood how Barnabas the Vampire could stand to TOUCH the silver when silver (as in bullets) should have been akin to Cryptonite for him in that condition.  Vampire-lore entusiasts, correct?  Or no?
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2006, 04:48:19 PM »
But I never understood how Barnabas the Vampire could stand to TOUCH the silver when silver (as in bullets) should have been akin to Cryptonite for him in that condition.  Vampire-lore entusiasts, correct?  Or no?

For some vampires, a silver weapon makes a wound that doesn't heal.  A common repellent is garlic, but not silver.  And of course using a wooden stake is the more traditional method for killing a vampire.

I always believed that Barnabas' silver wolf's head cane was a homage to (or ripoff of) Larry Talbot, who, btw, can be seen holding the cane when he was between transformations.

What I wonder is why a vampire would want to keep such a highly reflective surface close by, but that's me.   :P

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2006, 11:58:57 PM »
I read somewhere that the Wolf's Head cane (or Dog's Head cane, as it's sometimes called) is a traditional design that's available from a lot of makers, and that if a seller is advertising it as Barnabas's cane or mentioning DS in the advertisement, that they are probably jacking up the price in hopes of cashing in on an unwary fan.

But I dunno, I haven't been able to find one for much less than what they go for on eBay.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2006, 01:28:53 AM »
The cane has been around for longer than DS (it is made by a fifth-generation German family business)and has been widely available online in recent years.  Prior to that, medical supply companies and specialty shops carried them.  The canes have several varities, the most obvious being the head coming with or without red eyes. I'm not sure, but I think Jonathan used the one without.  The shaft commonly comes in maple or manila, (fashionable Canes offers Madagascar ebony)both stained black.  The one my fiancee bought for my birthday came with a removable rubber tip.  She purchased it online through Unique Canes, and DutchGard and Fashionable Canes also offer them.  Mostly, they cost around 250 - 280 dollars, but can run over 300 dollars. The one on ebay for less than that was second hand, but in good condition.  The metal the head is made of is called alpaca, an alloy of silver and nickel for strength and resistance to tarnish.  They will tarnish and dull a bit with use.

Petofi

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2006, 05:41:33 AM »
I always believed that Barnabas' silver wolf's head cane was a homage to (or ripoff of) Larry Talbot, who, btw, can be seen holding the cane when he was between transformations.

Ah! The Wolfman is my favorite of the Universal Monster movies. The Sideshow Toys figure of Larry came with the infamous wolf's head cane. They also made a figure of Bela the Gypsy! I can't wait to get the Barnabas & Quentin figures and set them along side Larry, Bela, Dracula and Renfield.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2006, 07:48:18 PM »
I remember looking through a cane catalog (it might have been DutchGard) and finding the wolf's head cane.  DS wasn't mentioned by name, but the description read, "Wolf's Head Cane (Yes, this is the one!)," which I found rather amusing.

Offline Fletcher

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2006, 02:02:28 AM »
Claude -- I remember the same catalog, and the same cryptic, "yes, this is the one."  And, that's all it took for me to spend two-week's salary (back around 1990) for the cane.  The day it arrived, I had a lump in my throat -- wow, I really had something important and real from DS. 

Today, the cane is near my front door in an umbrella-stand with a few other walking-sticks and umbrellas.   Once in a while, I notice visitors "eye" the cane with some vague recognition.  And a few of the actually comment on it. 

It's one of my favorite DS relic investments -- along with Josette's music box and my "Action Kits International" DS models.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2006, 03:04:31 AM »
I remember looking through a cane catalog (it might have been DutchGard) and finding the wolf's head cane.  DS wasn't mentioned by name, but the description read, "Wolf's Head Cane (Yes, this is the one!)," which I found rather amusing.

The DS FAQ confirms that it was DutchGuard.   [thumbleft]  Then, it was $296.00; http://www.dutchguard.com/p-117.html shows only a $4 price increase since the FAQ was written.  Their online description now says:

Sink your teeth into the lore of this legendary alpacca wolf head cane; a favorite of vampires, movie actors, and those who relish a memorable style. ...

Offline Angelique Wins

• Full Poster
  • Angelique wins!
    • View Profile
    • Hey!  It's My Dark Shadows Website!
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2006, 05:19:57 AM »
They are cool looking, I must say.  But I never understood how Barnabas the Vampire could stand to TOUCH the silver when silver (as in bullets) should have been akin to Cryptonite for him in that condition.  Vampire-lore entusiasts, correct?  Or no?

That reminds me of another scene where Barnabas and Julia are in search of Megan's coffin.  Currently a vamp himself, Barnabas asks Julia if she has the tools she needs for "protection."  She turns to him and gives him a big smile, reaches into her purse, and flashes her silver cross at him.  He nods and gives her a smile, as if to say, "Excellent, good job."  And they finished the scene with me sitting there with my mouth open, then doing my 'bots impression.  "Hello?  Excuse me!  Vampire here!"
**For the record...just in case you're wondering how it all turns out---Angelique wins.  [9366]

And if you want to know just how that's possible...then check out my DS fan fiction!
                         [read3]
http://www.codelphia.com/angeliquewins/tableocontents.html