Author Topic: Worst DS Memorabilia?  (Read 7396 times)

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Worst DS Memorabilia?
« on: July 29, 2006, 09:23:31 AM »
Josette's Music Box?

Well, I 've never actually seen one of these, but what could have been a really nice collectible looks in pictures like a cheap piece of plastic.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Worst DS Memorabilia?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 12:36:47 PM »
What about the infamous DS boxers offered by MPI some years back?  I thought that was a little tacky.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 02:39:01 PM »
Josette's Music Box?

Well, I 've never actually seen one of these, but what could have been a really nice collectible looks in pictures like a cheap piece of plastic.

Josette's Music Box:  what a piece of junk!  And it wasn't merely made of cheap plastic, but of the cheapest plastic.  I've seen votive holders in stores that consisted of a glass chute resting in a metal lattice base that cost less than that plastic travesty, which leads me to believe that it would be possible to make a high-quality collectible that isn't prohibitively expensive.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 02:48:45 PM »
Josette's Music Box?

It's exactly as it looks retzev, a piece of crap.  Claude's right, for them (was it MPI that issued it, I can't remember) to charge what they do for it, can't remember the price, but seems to me it was at least $30, is beyond disgusting!  If they want to make a true collectible out of it, and they should, it should be GLASS and the same size as the original, w/the movement for Josette's Theme (okay, so DCP and Bob Cobert would need a cut in the profits for the use of the song, so give it to them).  Then, if it basically WAS the actual music box, they could easily charge, and get, $100 for it.

Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 02:52:21 PM »
What about the infamous DS boxers offered by MPI some years back?  I thought that was a little tacky.

And they're STILL hawking those, sheesh!   ::)  But let us not forget the Christmas ornament for 1998!  Hell, even their tee-shirts suck!  Want a good, QUALITY DS tee-shirt?  Buy it from Bobubas!  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2006, 06:02:33 PM »
i've never seen a single piece of contemporary d.s. memorablia that i wanted.

bobble heads?underpants?an eight year old x-mas ornament?who wants that junk?

aside from the videos and dvds the merchandising table from mpi is always a sad lot at the fest.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006, 06:38:58 PM »
I collect some of the vintage DS items.... though I do have the replica ring and Josette's Music Box (I only paid 41 for both, so they only cost me 20 dollars each). But as a figure collector first and foremost, my favorite items are my 12 inch figures. I have figures galore, I've been heavily into the hobby since I became a teenager. I love it and I'll probably collect until the day I die (in which many of my figures will likely be buried with me).  :P

I'm not impressed by much of MPI's stuff....

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006, 07:54:57 PM »
 I'm a big fan of the Majestic figures myself and they are my favorite contemporary DS collectibles.  I hope they continue with those, and add some busts and statues as well.

The '98 ornament (looks like they finally took it off the site) and the boxers are wicked lame.  Most of the other contemporary items from MPI are so-so.  The bobbleheads are ok I guess.  I got the Barnabas one, but didn't want to spend the $$$ on all the others.

Stuff I'd like to see -

A good DS comic series or graphic novel series
 Quality replicas of stuff from the show like Josette's music box and Barnabas' ring
 Plastic mini-replicas of Collinwood and the Old House
 Affordable, poster-sized prints of the famous portraits from the show
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006, 08:29:35 PM »
It's exactly as it looks retzev, a piece of crap.  Claude's right, for them (was it MPI that issued it, I can't remember) to charge what they do for it, can't remember the price, but seems to me it was at least $30, is beyond disgusting!  If they want to make a true collectible out of it, and they should, it should be GLASS and the same size as the original, w/the movement for Josette's Theme (okay, so DCP and Bob Cobert would need a cut in the profits for the use of the song, so give it to them).  Then, if it basically WAS the actual music box, they could easily charge, and get, $100 for it.

$100 would be worth it for a high-quality replica of the music box.

I'm a big fan of the Majestic figures myself and they are my favorite contemporary DS collectibles. I hope they continue with those, and add some busts and statues as well.

The '98 ornament (looks like they finally took it off the site) and the boxers are wicked lame. Most of the other contemporary items from MPI are so-so. The bobbleheads are ok I guess. I got the Barnabas one, but didn't want to spend the $$$ on all the others.

Stuff I'd like to see -

A good DS comic series or graphic novel series
 Quality replicas of stuff from the show like Josette's music box and Barnabas' ring
 Plastic mini-replicas of Collinwood and the Old House
 Affordable, poster-sized prints of the famous portraits from the show

The bobbleheads are fun, but they are way overpriced.  $30 each????  Go into Tower Records or any quirky/funky/cool gift shop and you'll find all sorts of bobbleheads for $15 (or less).  And I might be wrong, but I believe that the DS bobbleheads are significantly smaller than many of the bobbleheads on the market.

I wonder if DC Productions ever thought about licensing the DS characters for a special edition of the boardgame CLUE.  The Simpsons and Hitchcock editions are fun, but DS would be a perfect fit.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2006, 11:28:51 PM »
I wonder if DC Productions ever thought about licensing the DS characters for a special edition of the boardgame CLUE. 

I know someone who created a DS Clue game that is da SHIT!  ;)  It has several DS characters as the suspects, DS locales for the murder sites and DS themed weapons.  We play it all the time when we get together.  ;)

Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2006, 02:56:00 AM »
PennyDreadful we have to be on the same page.  Those mini-replicas of Collinwood and The Old House would certainly have a place in my DS room.  And don't forget these poster sized portraits of  Barnabas, Angelique (done in 1795), Quentin, David and his mother, Josette...
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2006, 03:26:04 AM »
Those mini-replicas of Collinwood and The Old House would certainly have a place in my DS room..

Do you have a DS room?!  :o I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd love to see pictures!   :)
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2006, 02:33:49 PM »
Yes, retzen, I have, in my opinion, a Dark Shadows room.  My computer is there  and my scrapbooking is also there.  But the rest is DS.  They're pictures, mostly autographed, are on the walls.  The figures of Barnabas and Quentin, all the 'Marilyn Ross' books, about five of the concordance books, biography's about some of them, an alter with tiny figures of Barnabas, Angelique, Quentin and Julia on it,  a Collins famlly tree, four Wyndcliff Watch, cd of Dark Shadows, a degree from "Collinwood University" (which is a silly thing...but I like it) and a poster of Johnny Depp, Rudolph Valentino and a autographed picture of..sigh...Ralph Fiennes.  Theres a few more little things, but yea, it's a DS room.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2006, 03:59:58 PM »
Yes, retzen, I have, in my opinion, a Dark Shadows room.  My computer is there  and my scrapbooking is also there.  But the rest is DS.  They're pictures, mostly autographed, are on the walls.  The figures of Barnabas and Quentin, all the 'Marilyn Ross' books, about five of the concordance books, biography's about some of them, an alter with tiny figures of Barnabas, Angelique, Quentin and Julia on it,  a Collins famlly tree, four Wyndcliff Watch, cd of Dark Shadows, a degree from "Collinwood University" (which is a silly thing...but I like it) and a poster of Johnny Depp, Rudolph Valentino and a autographed picture of..sigh...Ralph Fiennes.  Theres a few more little things, but yea, it's a DS room.

Cool! I want a DS room!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2006, 06:19:16 PM »
i actually aquired a rather nifty bit of vintage memorabilia just last week.

my friend mark regularly hits the flea markets and over the years has picked up several d.s. related items for me.

this time it was a copy of The Saturday Evening Post from 1968.the article on d.s. is titled "can a 172-year-old vampire find love and happiness in a typical new england town?".

it's a very strangely written article.it neither praises nor criticises the show.it's just sort of flat reportage.
the focus is primarily on jonathan but there are also brief quotes from grayson,joan,alexandra and robert rodan.
none of them speak particularly highly of their work on the show.

there are a few interesting bits about the sets.for instance the evans' cottage is just a single step from the collinwood drawing room.but the tone of the article is odd.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.