Author Topic: Worst DS Memorabilia?  (Read 7395 times)

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
Re: Worst DS Memorabilia?
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2006, 02:36:01 PM »
That reminds me of another scene where Barnabas and Julia are in search of Megan's coffin.  Currently a vamp himself, Barnabas asks Julia if she has the tools she needs for "protection."  She turns to him and gives him a big smile, reaches into her purse, and flashes her silver cross at him.  He nods and gives her a smile, as if to say, "Excellent, good job."  And they finished the scene with me sitting there with my mouth open, then doing my 'bots impression.  "Hello?  Excuse me!  Vampire here!"

I remember that scene.  It was such a blatant screw-up and one which could have easily been avoided.  Did they forget Barnabas was a vampire too?  They could have just had Julia say "I'm carrying a cross" instead of having her flash it at Barnabas who then has no reaction to it (even though he always had a reaction before and after this).   ::)   Or better yet, Julia could have brought out the cross causing Barnabas to go "AAARGHH!" and turn away.  Then Julia could have either felt crummy about it, or maybe smirked a little.   >:D
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2006, 03:24:12 PM »
That reminds me of another scene where [spoiler]Barnabas and Julia are in search of Megan's coffin.  Currently a vamp himself, Barnabas asks Julia if she has the tools she needs for "protection."  She turns to him and gives him a big smile, reaches into her purse, and flashes her silver cross at him.  He nods and gives her a smile, as if to say, "Excellent, good job." [/spoiler]

Yeah, they're were so many inconsistancies like that, it causes one to just roll their eyes.   ::)  I remember several scenes in 1897 when [spoiler]Barnabas was in Quentin's room and you could CLEARLY see him in the mirror, and this was before he's cured by Julia & Angelique![/spoiler]
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2006, 04:28:42 PM »
The '98 ornament (looks like they finally took it off the site) and the boxers are wicked lame.  Most of the other contemporary items from MPI are so-so.  The bobbleheads are ok I guess.  I got the Barnabas one, but didn't want to spend the $$$ on all the others.

Stuff I'd like to see -

A good DS comic series or graphic novel series
 Quality replicas of stuff from the show like Josette's music box and Barnabas' ring
 Plastic mini-replicas of Collinwood and the Old House
 Affordable, poster-sized prints of the famous portraits from the show

They had a DS ornament? What was so lame about it?

AlsoIn regards to replicas of the Old House and Collinwood, it would be neat to see them made of something a bit more durable than plastic, wood or glass perhaps?

So I suppose that begs the question, where do we find good contemporary DS memorabilia? :)
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2006, 04:52:39 PM »
They had a DS ornament? What was so lame about it?

It was just a red glass ball that said DARK SHADOWS on it in gothic lettering.  To me, if you're going to do a DS Xmas ornament for the tree, have it be like the Hallmark ones and let it be the various characters.  A friend of mine one year did a picture of Quentin as a zombie as an ornament and sent that out to friends.  I put it on my tree every year!   ;D

So I suppose that begs the question, where do we find good contemporary DS memorabilia? :)

From fans, LOL!  Seriously, Bobubas and Selby D. Pearson have better DS themed stuff than either MPI or the Festival!   8)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2006, 05:01:25 PM »
From fans, LOL!  Seriously, Bobubas and Selby D. Pearson have better DS themed stuff than either MPI or the Festival!   8)

Really? I'll have to check it out. Thanks!  8) :)
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2006, 05:24:59 PM »
About that ornament... I don't see the point of prominently dating it 1998 if they weren't making any more.  Unlike 1966, 1897, 2006, etc., does 1998 have any special meaning in the DS universe?  Um, unless they were commemorating the launch of the first incarnation of these boards.  Yeah, that must be it.   :P

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2006, 05:49:47 PM »
does 1998 have any special meaning in the DS universe?  Um, unless they were commemorating the launch of the first incarnation of these boards.  Yeah, that must be it.

You're right - that must be it!  ;D  Speaking of which, it's hard to believe that in a little less than two months (on October 7th) we'll be celebrating the 8th anniversary of the forum in its various incarnations and our 8th year of working together on it. Time really does fly (though some days it feels almost as if I've never done anything else with my life.  :-   [b003])

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2006, 05:57:18 PM »
It's true.  Bob and Guy have good stuff (Guy has videotapes from conventions too) and it seems that fans are the ones who know what other fans want.  As long as you don't make stuff that is being licensed and sold by, say, MPI, there are many things fans can create and sell as Buzz pointed out below about Bob and Guy.  The dealer's room at the fest is always full of surprises so bring lots of money! LOL!

Nancy

From fans, LOL!  Seriously, Bobubas and Selby D. Pearson have better DS themed stuff than either MPI or the Festival!

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2006, 06:58:24 PM »
Bob and Guy have good stuff (Guy has videotapes from conventions too)

Guy doesn't sell Fest tapes anymore and hasn't in years.

I don't see the point of prominently dating it 1998 if they weren't making any more.  Unlike 1966, 1897, 2006, etc., does 1998 have any special meaning in the DS universe? 

Well, Jonathan blooped his lines in Summer 1970 and referred to when he and Julia were in 1998, maybe that could be it?  >:D
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2006, 07:29:57 PM »
Bob and Guy have good stuff (Guy has videotapes from conventions too)
Guy doesn't sell Fest tapes anymore and hasn't in years.

Buzz, no where in what you quoted from me did I say Guy was currently selling anything, let alone videotapes.  I only agreed with you that Bob and Guy have good stuff that fans would like. ;D

Nancy

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2006, 08:21:34 PM »
Buzz, no where in what you quoted from me did I say Guy was currently selling anything, let alone videotapes.  I only agreed with you that Bob and Guy have good stuff that fans would like. ;D

Nancy, you said, "Guy has good stuff(Guy has videotapes from conventions too)".  Do you really think ppl aren't going to think you were saying he doesn't sell anything currently, tapes or otherwise?    [hdscrt]  It doesn't matter whether or not you said "currently", the implication is enough.
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2006, 08:58:30 PM »
I have no idea what he sells so I couldn't say and didn't. I don't know why it would upset you and I'm sorry that it did but please allow me to point something out: The implication it might be videotapes was laid down by you in earlier posts, before mine.  You were the one to mention the two men as having stuff for sale to fans.  You also were the one who mentioned that Guy videotapes at the festival and had the permission to do so.  And that's great.  But why ask permission if he was doing so just for the fest?  Speculation is quite a sport here so would be a fair speculation based on your own posts on the subject videotapes of the convention for sale.  All I did was reinterate the obvious: Guy has convention videotapes.  I didn't add anything further because I don't know anything more than that.

People who aren't sure about is for sale can ask the gentlemen in question, I'm sure. ;D

What is available for fans to buy being offered by other fans?  Obviously fans out there are frustrated with the current "official" offerings.

Nancy

Nancy, you said, "Guy has good stuff(Guy has videotapes from conventions too)".  Do you really think ppl aren't going to think you were saying he doesn't sell anything currently, tapes or otherwise?    [hdscrt]  It doesn't matter whether or not you said "currently", the implication is enough.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2006, 12:27:26 AM »
Let's not go bullistic here. Let's enjoy what is offered us. I know this Guy or whomever, does one bang up job of taping the Fest events. I've bought some of the tapes myself; at a very reasonable price I might add. Please remember we are all here to enjoy what we love, may it be Barnabas, Willie, Quentin, or Cyrus. No need to needle pick. Yankee opinion.
And shall we all hail in that the worst, absolute worst of the DS memorabilia is the music box!

I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2006, 02:00:26 PM »
The implication it might be videotapes was laid down by you in earlier posts, before mine.

I'm not sure where you got the above notion.  I wrote in my post about how fans have better stuff than MPI.  I quote, "From fans, LOL!  Seriously, Bobubas and Selby D. Pearson have better DS themed stuff than either MPI or the Festival!"

Now, please tell me where, in that quote above, did I mention videotapes??  Are you seeing something in the above that I'm not?  It was you who first mentioned Guy having videotapes, not me.

It's true.  Bob and Guy have good stuff (Guy has videotapes from conventions too)

Guy having permission to tape the Festivals was on an entirely different thread, not this one, and had absolutely nothing to do w/the discussion at hand, namely, who has the best DS merchandise to sell.  That was a completely different subject (i.e.why can't fan's tape anymore) and someone asked if Guy and Rich Blanco would still be allowed to tape.  I said Guy could because Jim Pierson said he could.  I never said, or implied, that Guy would then sell those tapes.  I can only assume that Pierson's allowing Guy to film because he's a Festival Committee member, not to mention a longtime fan and friend of Jim's.

BTW, I'm not upset, I just want you to be clear about what you're talking about before you post things about my friends.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2006, 02:20:06 PM »
I was honestly hoping it wouldn't come to this but just a little gentle reminder that this topic is about DS memorabilia - not who said what about whom and what they may or may not have inferred - and most members might be more interested in the former rather than the latter.  :)  And while the disagreement taking up a good many posts in this topic probably doesn't necessarily constitute a situation in which one poster feels wronged, slighted, or offended by another poster, it still might be best if, as per Forum Guideline #4, any further discussion or disagreement regarding the matter be taken to private e-mail or PM and that it no longer be handled in public. After all, we would hate to have to remove the entire discussion from this topic - particularly when one of the participants is trying to reach 2000 posts before the Fest.  ;)

Thanks.