Author Topic: Dark Shadows Stars to appear at October Hollywood Collectors Show  (Read 5132 times)

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
Here's a nice alternative for west coasters who may not be able to make the official 40th anniversary festival. Several Dark Shadoows actors are scheduled to appear at the Hollywood Collectors show at the Burbank Hilton on the weekend of October 14th, 2006. So far, they list David Selby, Katherine Leigh Scott, Lara Parker and Roger Davis. Be aware this is a "pay"show, all stars sell their autographs. I have been to the show before and they usually have a great line-up of interesting persons, as well as a good selection of all types of movie memorabilia. Here a link: http://www.hollywoodcollectorshow.com/Burbank.htm
I would expect regular updates between now and the show date.

Michael  :D

Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Shadows Stars to appear at October Hollywood Collectors Show
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 02:05:53 PM »
I've a bone to pick with those people: on numerous occasions I've asked them via e-mail why they don't have a similiar event here in New York, and they have never answered!!!! 

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 05:44:59 PM »
I would imagine the problem is that all the stars mentioned are based in the L.A. area.  That means no one has to pay to get them to the show.  If the show was held in the N.Y. area, they would  either have to bring those stars to NY....or showcase NY stars.

When you think about it, the situation in New York is  very different. You know exactly where to find the performers.  If you want autographs of Broadway stars, all you have to do is buy a ticket to the show, and be prepared to wait at the stage door when it's over. They are, for the most part, very happy to spend time with the fans. My daughter's collection of autographed Playbills is turning into a paper tower.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 07:09:37 PM »
I know that there are a lot of NY-based stars who would attend an event like this, and I'm sure that even some of the L.A. bunch would come to NY if they had the chance to do a show.  Why the organizers haven't tried is beyond me- a potential goldmine could be made here.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained!!!

David

Getting Autographs on Broadway
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 07:24:32 PM »
You don't even have to buy a ticket to a show in NYC. When Raquel Welch did Victor/Victoria on Broadway, I took my Myra Breckenridge movie poster to the stage door. She signed it!

David

David

Charlie Ellis
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 07:30:43 PM »
Charlie:
go to chillertheatre.com

the Chiller show happens twice a year in North Jersey and always has a great guest list. I used to attend Chiller when I lived on the East Coast & got dozens of autographs.

Living in Staten Island as you do, you can drive over the Bayonne Bridge & get to Chiller in 30 mins.

David

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 10:33:23 PM »
I would imagine the problem is that all the stars mentioned are based in the L.A. area.  That means no one has to pay to get them to the show.  If the show was held in the N.Y. area, they would  either have to bring those stars to NY....or showcase NY stars.

When you think about it, the situation in New York is  very different. You know exactly where to find the performers.  If you want autographs of Broadway stars, all you have to do is buy a ticket to the show, and be prepared to wait at the stage door when it's over. They are, for the most part, very happy to spend time with the fans. My daughter's collection of autographed Playbills is turning into a paper tower.

That's basically the case. Most of the people at the Hollywood show can literally drive over, so they get to go home at night. many of the people at the Hollywood show are seniors and need the rest at the end of the day. The expense of flying people to shows has grown enormously over the past few years. I had asked a convention organizer I know very well about say,  Shane Bryant for example for a Hammer themed show, and Shane lives in Australia or New Zealand, and its not that he didn't want to attend, its just the number of flight hours and the cost of flying someone from that distance. The Hollywood show is able to have the number of guests as so many live in the area, or relatively close so travel expenses are reduced.

the Chiller show happens twice a year in North Jersey and always has a great guest list. I used to attend Chiller when I lived on the East Coast & got dozens of autographs.

Chiller is probably the closest thing we have. Now, admittedly, the "personality" of the two shows are quite different. The same can be said of most different conventions I've been too. The Hollywood show is more general movie and TV actors, and Chiller is more horror film focused. Nonetheless. last fall's Chiller had cast reunions for "I Dream of Jeanie" and "Batman" 1966.  [Bat](Not to mention four of the ladies of Dark Shadows.) Chiller has more grown more general outreach, although lately, its been more to wrestlers than anything else beyond the horror stars lately.

Bottom line for any show nowawadays is cost, travel and availability.

One has to realize too, that although some people may not be as big a star as say, Tom Cruise or Jack Nicholson, which would be unmanageable at a regular autograph show, but "cult" status also makes some guests appearences difficult to manages. I can only speculate that it might be impossible to have say Tim Curry or Eric Braeden at a show for example. In the case of the latter, I would love to ask him about his work in "Escape from the Planet of the Apes," but after decades on the soaps, his appearence would likely be flooded.

Michael

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
Re: Getting Autographs on Broadway
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 01:14:31 AM »
You don't even have to buy a ticket to a show in NYC. When Raquel Welch did Victor/Victoria on Broadway, I took my Myra Breckenridge movie poster to the stage door. She signed it!
That depends a great deal on the actor. Some television/film actors refuse to sign anything other than the playbill or items related to the specific show they are performing in at the time. Loretta Swit, for example, absolutely refused to sign anything related to M*A*S*H when she was appearing in the Vagina Monologues off-Broadway several years ago.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Amanda

• Junior Poster
  • Mrs. Davis
    • View Profile
Re: Getting Autographs on Broadway
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 02:26:05 PM »
That depends a great deal on the actor. Some television/film actors refuse to sign anything other than the playbill or items related to the specific show they are performing in at the time. Loretta Swit, for example, absolutely refused to sign anything related to M*A*S*H when she was appearing in the Vagina Monologues off-Broadway several years ago.

That's too bad.  Since she is most identified with M*A*S*H.  In a way I can see her point.  On the other hand I can't think of her in other things.  She will always be Hot Lips Houlihan to me. 
The Kansas Cousin

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 04:30:23 PM »
Most actors are quite willing to sign whatever you present to them when they are doing a show as long as you don't accost them as they are running to the theater to make their "call" and afterwards make it clear that you saw the show they were just in.

nancy

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 07:03:22 PM »
i'm not really into getting autographs unless someome wants to sign a check
for me heehee so paying for one is just not for me! i just like to see the stars
i know they make money for them but i'd rather buy a movie or book and i
find these show with big athletes selling their signatures replusive and refuse to
go to them.

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 07:21:32 PM »
i know they make money for them

Which I quite frankly don't understand.  If you're so damn desperate for cash that you have to SELL your signature, here's a thought....GET A JOB!  LOL!  Sheesh, sometime celebs are the biggest damn crybaby's!   ::)  What's wrong w/working a 'regular' job like the rest of us?  So what if the acting career is over, they're always hiring at Mickey D's LOL!  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 07:37:42 PM »
Which I quite frankly don't understand.  If you're so damn desperate for cash that you have to SELL your signature, here's a thought....GET A JOB!  LOL!  Sheesh, sometime celebs are the biggest damn crybaby's!   ::)  What's wrong w/working a 'regular' job like the rest of us?  So what if the acting career is over, they're always hiring at Mickey D's LOL!  ;)

Sadly, I think James Hall recently asked me if I wanted any new socks with those Florsheims.   ;)

Michael

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 09:17:17 PM »
If I got my hands on a really excellent photo of Willie Loomis, the very last thing I'd want is John Karlen's  signature all over it.  I never have  understood that autograph thing.....have I Midnite?  [lghy]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2006, 11:52:46 PM »
I never have  understood that autograph thing.....have I Midnite?  <lghy>

LOL, nope, she just doesn't get it.  <sigh>

jennifer, can you take a later train?  :(