Author Topic: Actors' Accents (Was Re: Episode #0258)  (Read 5442 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Actors' Accents (Was Re: Episode #0258)
« on: June 22, 2006, 03:04:47 PM »
From Caption This!
M:(thinking) I can't figure out why this little girl from MAINE sounds like she's from Phili!

Buzz,

Oh, yes, little Sarah has a definite Philadelphia accent.  Then again, she could also hail from just across the mighty Delaware in Trenton, NJ.  (Believe me, south Jersey and north Jersey are poles apart in their respective patois!)

Then again, KLS , ("Ms. Land of a 10,000 Lakes") with her Old "Hoowse" pronunciation, sounds like she could also say "oout" or "Eh?" like a true Candian sometimes!

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
Re: Actors' Accents (Was Re: Episode #0258)
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 03:21:51 PM »
Then again, KLS , ("Ms. Land of a 10,000 Lakes") with her Old "Hoowse" pronunciation, sounds like she could also say "oout" or "Eh?" like a true Candian sometimes!

You know, it's funny, but you could always tell when Jonathan had gone home to Hamilton for a visit w/the family because his first couple episodes back you'd most definately hear his Canadian accent.  Reversely, you could tell when he HADN'T been home in a while 'cause he'd start sounding like a regular old American!  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 04:10:42 PM »
You know, it's funny, but you could always tell when Jonathan had gone home to Hamilton for a visit w/the family because his first couple episodes back you'd most definately hear his Canadian accent.  Reversely, you could tell when he HADN'T been home in a while 'cause he'd start sounding like a regular old American!

You know, Mr. Frid seemingly never ended a sentence with "Eh?"  (I guess that's from all of those years, studying his craft over there in London and receiving an MFA from Yale University.  Bravo!!  I wonder what he scored on the GRE's!?!)

Heck, at least, Bill Malloy tried to affect (or effect?) a  Down East accent, and, looked what happened to HIM ! :o

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 04:46:56 PM »
You know, Mr. Frid seemingly never ended a sentence with "Eh?"  (I guess that's from all of those years, studying his craft over there in London and receiving an MFA from Yale University.  Bravo!!

The only time I ever heard him utter, "Eh" was on the Ron Barry show when he, Grayson, Don, Robert, Humbert and Roger Davis were on.  RD was being his normally obnoxious, self-serving, mic hog self and when Jon told Ron that he thought DS was so popular w/ppl because of ppl's pre-occupation w/death and the acknowledgement that "we're ALL going to die someday."  RD grabbed the mic and said, "Well, I don't know about you Jonathan, but I'm never going to die!" and then did his standard STUPID laugh.  Jon very dryly replied, w/out missing a beat I might add, "Oh, you're not eh?"  In thinking on this and writing it, I'm not sure that actually COUNTS as a full-on Canadian EH though.  ;)  I might add that Humbert piped in by saying, "Have you seen the script for next week?!"   ;D

Heck, at least, Bill Malloy tried to affect (or effect?) a  Down East accent, and, looked what happened to HIM ! :o

I actually liked his Down East accent.  As I recall the original Sam Evans, both Matthew Morgan's (but especially the first one), Mr. Wells (Collinsport Inn innkeeper) and one of the cops, I think they were actually calling them Constable then, pre-Sheriff Patterson, also all did the Down East thing.  According to KLS in Scrapbook, more ppl apparently did too, until DC told them to knock it off.  But I don't recall KLS or anyone but the above mentioned gentlemen doing that accent.

Now, don't even get me started on the fact that Barnabas sounds NOTHING like a Brit!   ::)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 01:26:41 AM »
I once heard the great film film director Stanley Kramer, on WABC-770-AM in NYC, joke/complain about, when he directed "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad , Mad (?) World." He explained that he had so many outtakes from that memorable film, chockfull of so many great comedians, becasue, despite whomever's last line it was in a particular scene, the late, great Milton Berle just had to, at least, try and get the last line in.  I mean, "Uncle" Miltie did it to Sid Caesar, Mickey Rooney, Buddy Hackett, D!ck Shawn, Jonathan Winters, Ethel Merman,  etc., etc.  (I, for one, would just LOVE  to see those outtakes!) ;D ;)

Apparently, the cast of Dark Shadows had the exact same  "problem" with one of their own co-stars.  (But, no names, please!!!) ::) >:D

PS Please, no offense, but just who is Ron Barry?  (We never had him appear on t.v. or radio in the NYC area, apparently?) :)

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 02:08:24 AM »
Oh, yes, little Sarah has a definite Philadelphia accent.

I remember quite fondly the episode in which Sarah showed up at the Collinsport Diner and asked for a "cheese wit'..."

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 02:17:24 PM »
PS Please, no offense, but just who is Ron Barry?  (We never had him appear on t.v. or radio in the NYC area, apparently?) :)

He had a radio show there in NYC back when DS was on the air.  Surprised you've never heard of him, especially if you're from NYC.  Are you a youngin' who wasn't around when DS aired originally?  He had many of the DS stars on, he was a big fan of the show, and even did a mock radio show called Dumb Shadows (and boy, was it DUMB   ::))

Dumb Shadows is available through Bobubas on this board and he may even have the interview of which I speak too, can't remember.  He'll probably have them at the Fest in fact.  ;)

Oh, yes, little Sarah has a definite Philadelphia accent.

I remember quite fondly the episode in which Sarah showed up at the Collinsport Diner and asked for a "cheese wit'..."

You mean she didn't ask for a Philly Cheesesteak?   ;D
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 03:28:09 PM »
Actually, the late Ron Barry was the nephew of Jack Klugman!  And speaking of accents, i'm surprised no one has mentioned two of the most memorable:  Joan Bennett's "Mid-Atlantic" voice that was so prevalent among stage actors before Lee Strasberg changed everything, and David Selby's West Virginia twang, which worried him to no end during his first months on DS as a silent ghost.  He feared that once his character finally got to speak, he would wind up like so many silent actors who couldn't make the transistion to talkies.  Remember the 'Lina Lamont' character from Singin' In The Rain?  That's how it seemed to him.  Fortunately, he needen't have worried: he's been a star ever since.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 03:40:08 PM »
Ron Barry's interview with the Shadows stars is available on one of the commercial soundtrack releases.  I can't recall whether it's on Rhino or Varese Sarabande.  It is the one that has the 1969 Original Soundtrack album and the interview (a slightly edited version) follows as an extra.  That might be the one that included a Ron Barry phone interview with David Selby, as well.

G.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 05:07:53 PM »
Ron Barry's interview with the Shadows stars is available on one of the commercial soundtrack releases.  I can't recall whether it's on Rhino or Varese Sarabande.  It is the one that has the 1969 Original Soundtrack album and the interview (a slightly edited version) follows as an extra.  That might be the one that included a Ron Barry phone interview with David Selby, as well.

You know, I think it's on one of the recent DS CD's as well, Shelby D. Pearson has it on CD, but don't know if he made it himself or if it's "officicial".  He may be coming to see me tonight and if I remember I'll ask him.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 05:26:43 PM »
I love the Thayer David one.  Pity that doesn't circulate more widely.  I believe Bobubas does sell it.

G.

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2006, 06:56:16 PM »
I think the interviews on Bobubas's discs are more extensive and have more separate segments, including one with Thayer David by himself and I believe one if not two of Frid by himself. Anyway, you get lots of good stuff not on the Anniversary disc. Very recommended! [banana2]

Michael
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2006, 12:14:18 AM »
I wonder why DC told them to knock it off? I wish they had done more with the down-east accents. Wouldn't it have added a bit of authenticity to the proceedings? I haven't seen the pre-B episodes yet, maybe they just weren't done very well. Or perhaps he was afraid the viewers in fly-over country wouldn't be able to relate.

I'm from TX, but I've been to Maine a few times and that down-east accent is music to my ears :)
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2006, 01:16:22 PM »
He had a radio show there in NYC back when DS was on the air.  Surprised you've never heard of him, especially if you're from NYC.  Are you a youngin' who wasn't around when DS aired originally?  He had many of the DS stars on, he was a big fan of the show, and even did a mock radio show called Dumb Shadows (and boy, was it DUMB   ::))

Dumb Shadows is available through Bobubas on this board and he may even have the interview of which I speak too, can't remember.  He'll probably have them at the Fest in fact.

Buzz,

Thanks very much for the information on Mr. Barry.  As (pretty-much, a lifelong NYC-area guy) I, regrettably,  do not  recall Ron Barry on the NYC radio airwaves.  I do recall "Long" John Nebel and his wife Candy Jones, John Wingate, Arlene Francis, THE great Jean Shepherd, Cousin Bruce Morrow, Barry Gray, John A. Gambling (and NOT John B. Gambling! Heck, even I'm not THAT old!), sportscaster Bill "The Amazing" Mazer and political/social commentators of the day, Bob Grant and Malachy McCourt (two extremely-opinionated gentlemen, of just slightly  differing "perspectives"!).  >:D

Do you remember when Jonathan Frid appeared on D!ck Cavet's daytime ABC televison show, based out of New York City, back, in 1968 (?)?  I remember that the studio audience was jam-packed with enthusiastic (if not, screaming) young kids for the taping, with both Mr. Frid and the Association, who performed their song, "Six Man Band" on the show.  Ah, I remember it as if it were only yesterday.  (I think?) ::) :-

Bob

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2006, 02:59:49 PM »
Do you remember when Jonathan Frid appeared on D!ck Cavet's daytime ABC televison show, based out of New York City, back, in 1968

Oh, I was just a youngin' myself, and not from the NYC area.  However, the Dick Cavett interview is another one Bobubas sells, so I *have* heard it as I bought it from him several years back.  It was an interesting interview, in fact, I think there were a couple interviews w/Cavett on that CD now I think on it.  I only knew about Ron Barry because about 12 years ago a friend from Jersey had it on tape and made me a copy.  ;)

I wonder why DC told them to knock it off? I wish they had done more with the down-east accents. Wouldn't it have added a bit of authenticity to the proceedings?

I think that was precisely the reason retzev, I think KLS even said in Scrapbook that DC said something like, "Cut it out you guys, you sound like a bunch of foreigners!"  But I'm w/you, it gave the show realism, and they didn't sound foreign to me, they sounded like they were from , well...MAINE!  ;)  Too bad DC couldn't hear that.   :-
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"