Author Topic: Why haven't we received DS Festival '06 mailings yet- IT'S GETTING LATE!!!  (Read 4297 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
I could be wrong, but I believe that the Fest organizers are concerned that people will lose and/or forget their badges before the Fest.  I think this is also the case with the banquet tickets.  Of course, one could just as easily lose and/or forget their receipt.

If it's any consolation, long registration lines are pretty much par for the course at any sort of convention/conference.

I understand the concern about lost badges.  But doesn't it make more sense to send out the badges, and then only have to deal with the people who have, in fact, lost their badges, rather than making EVERY SINGLE attendee stand on line?

In this day of terror alerts (don't forget folks, you're coming to New York City, which has an anti-terrorism organization that rivals the Federal Government) you will absolutely need to bring some form of ID with you at all times.  So if everyone has ID with them, why not just let the ones who never received their badges show their proof of ID and create a new badge?
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
I understand the concern about lost badges.  But doesn't it make more sense to send out the badges, and then only have to deal with the people who have, in fact, lost their badges, rather than making EVERY SINGLE attendee stand on line? 

In this day of terror alerts (don't forget folks, you're coming to New York City, which has an anti-terrorism organization that rivals the Federal Government) you will absolutely need to bring some form of ID with you at all times.  So if everyone has ID with them, why not just let the ones who never received their badges show their proof of ID and create a new badge?

Here, here Raineypark!  *Exactly* what I've been trying to say all along!  My opinion, if they're going to make us wait in a god-awful line anyway, do away w/'pre-registration' as it becomes redundant!  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Yikes - when does this line usually begin forming?
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

ClaudeNorth

Again, I could be wrong, but I believe they have the check-in table set up at some point on Thursday, for those who arrive early.

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
Here's my take on the badge situation:

Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges!

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
does seem silly too Buzz and i know my sister will probaly
jump out of a long line and go shopping  :o

jennifer
has anyone stayed at this hotel before?
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
Here's my take on the badge situation:

Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges!

Really!  Some volunteers don't even look for them anymore.  When we were in Tarrytown I NEVER had to show it!  ;)

has anyone stayed at this hotel before?

Yep, back in 2003.  It's a nice hotel.
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
I think it would be a good idea to have a cash bar open while people wait in line for registration.
Years ago, when I would sit out all night waiting for concert tickets to go on sale, a local radio station would bring coffee and pastries and give them out to people in line. People are happy when they are eating or drinking. Well, at least I am ;)
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
What a birthday surprise- I finally got my mailing today!!! 

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I got one of these yesterday -- was surprised to still be on their mailing list.  Only thing is, every time I've gotten one, it's been addressed to "Connie & Christina".  Who the hell is Christina?  [idontknow]

David Selby as Roger Collins??  Um.....okay.   ;D
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
We got our flyer on Friday. Am I correct the long running 2-for-1 adult admission is no longer in effect this year? Anyway, it all added up to a little more than last year. Nonetheless, when else do you get a day trip with Johnny Karlen.

Michael   :D
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
Just some thoughts on the various and sundry posts on the badges.  I've been attending and working Science Fiction and Media conventions since the 70s and have been on a few concoms.  This is MY educated guess on why they do it this way (I have NO connection with the Fest, so this is just my opinion and doesn;'t mean I am right!)

My experience is all cons of this nature do the badges at the event itself, with a registration process of some sort.  Why not mail them out?  Well, for starters, expecially with a bi coastal committee like this one, maybe those who process the incoming registrations don't have access to the equipment etc to run up the badges.  Those might be done on site right before the con, when you have all your dogsbodies (read committee members and volunteers) handy to make up packets and print out badges and put them together. And that's the other factor -- the hands and sheer time to make up all those badges. As Nancy points out, this is NOT a paid job, the organizers do this around jobs, families and REAL LIFE.  So, they are looking for the most time effective way to do things.

Then, if you mail them, there's the inevitable losses to the Pest Offal-- not to mention all the people who wont even bring their receipt with them  -- no matter HOW many times you ask them to -- because they don't read the instructions.  So, you have to make the things up again on site, which is more time and money to essentially do the job twice.

Oh, and as to the issue about late mailings -- don't know how many people here go to Science Fiction or Media conventions, but late mailings of con materials tend to be a standing joke.  Mediawest, a nearly 30 year old media con (sort of like a writer's convention, with panel discussions, etc. as opposed to actors speaking and performing), has a running rep for being late to the point where people are waiting for the day when the progress reports are handed out at registration.  It's par for the course, like the sudden schedule changes, at any fan run event.

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
i finally got the mailing today.i can't wait.i do think i'll skip the day trip and i can't handle the "banquet with the stars" either.

there are a few appealing new merchandising options and a few lame-o ones as well.the "dark shadows the first year" book looks cool because i love those episodes.the "limited edition" coin purse however i think i can nicely live without.who comes up with some of this stuff? ::)
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
We got our flyer on Friday. Am I correct the long running 2-for-1 adult admission is no longer in effect this year? Anyway, it all added up to a little more than last year.

Apparently not.  BTW, the latest print edition of ShadowGram lists the weekend rate at $5 higher than the Festival flyer and website.

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
I got one of these yesterday -- was surprised to still be on their mailing list.  Only thing is, every time I've gotten one, it's been addressed to "Connie & Christina".  Who the hell is Christina?  [idontknow]

David Selby as Roger Collins??  Um.....okay.   ;D

heehee mine is addressed to patti and pam i thought the same thing who the hell is pam? ::)

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV