Author Topic: Why haven't we received DS Festival '06 mailings yet- IT'S GETTING LATE!!!  (Read 4301 times)

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
The Brooklyn fest is only 3 months away, and STILL no official mailing or membership rate announcements yet?  What gives?  Has there been an unaviodable delay due to Dan Curtis' passing?   No official word from Jim Pierson or Ann Wilson.  I think that EVERY DS FAN should be concerned....

ClaudeNorth

Mine arrived today...

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
There IS a form on the Festival website, but for some reason they haven't 'activated' it yet where you can fill in the form, print it, then send it in w/your money.  If your mailing doesn't come, just keep checking that site and once they activate it where you CAN imput your name, address and what days you want to attend, just do it that way and send it in w/your money and SASE.   ;D  I've been doing it this way for years, haven't gotten a mailing in years either.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Last year's mailings for the July Fest didn't go out until late April/early May. So, it's not too surprising that the mailings for this year's August Fest aren't going out until late May/early June.

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
i said it before and i will say it again, the festival is backwards. first they sell out the hotel and then they announce and have everyone register for the festival.

ClaudeNorth

i said it before and i will say it again, the festival is backwards. first they sell out the hotel and then they announce and have everyone register for the festival.

<giggle> I loved how they posted the information about the Marriott selling out as "Breaking News!" after everyone learned about it from other sources.

On a related note, I could be remembering wrong, but has the hotel sold out earlier this year than in previous years?

Offline barnabasjr

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
Mine arrived today...

I got mine today, too. I'm totally looking forward to meeting everyone from this forum!
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
There IS a form on the Festival website, but for some reason they haven't 'activated' it yet where you can fill in the form, print it, then send it in w/your money.  If your mailing doesn't come, just keep checking that site and once they activate it where you CAN imput your name, address and what days you want to attend, just do it that way and send it in w/your money and SASE.   ;D  I've been doing it this way for years, haven't gotten a mailing in years either.  ;)

Can you post a link to that particular page? I can't find it  ???
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Quote from: retzev
Can you post a link to that particular page?

MEMBERSHIP/ORDER FORM -- Pay for Events/Publications/Merchandise!

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
As someone who has attended every East Coast DS Festival since 1984, I do feel insulted that I still haven't received my mailing- they know where I live and I should have been among the first people to receive a mailing as a longtime attendee.  For each of the Festivals I have been to I received mailings prior to paying, and have always sent SASEs.  You mean to tell me the Festival can't cough up TWO CENTS to cover the postal rate increase and use the leftover SASEs from 2004??

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
For each of the Festivals I have been to I received mailings prior to paying, and have always sent SASEs.  You mean to tell me the Festival can't cough up TWO CENTS to cover the postal rate increase and use the leftover SASEs from 2004??

Hell, I only give them *one* SASE since I don't care a FIG about the 'schedule of events' (which is the reason for the second SASE) as the darn thing changes, AS THE FEST IS GOING ON!  ;)  They get one for my receipt, period.  And while we're on the subject, can someone enlighten me as to WHY they don't just send our freakin' BADGES instead of a receipt that only causes us to have to stand in a LONG line Friday afternoon/night to GET our badges?  I mean, isn't the POINT of 'pre-registering' is that we DON'T have to stand in a line?  Kinda defeats the purpose of it IMHO.   ::)  I've been going to these things, on both coasts, since 1990, and I still don't get that one.   [hdscrt]
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

ClaudeNorth

http://www.darkshadowsfestival.com/page11.htm

FYI, if you go to the site and still find the outdated info, hit the refresh button and the updated pages will come up.

And while we're on the subject, can someone enlighten me as to WHY they don't just send our freakin' BADGES instead of a receipt that only causes us to have to stand in a LONG line Friday afternoon/night to GET our badges?  I mean, isn't the POINT of 'pre-registering' is that we DON'T have to stand in a line?  Kinda defeats the purpose of it IMHO.   ::)  I've been going to these things, on both coasts, since 1990, and I still don't get that one.   [hdscrt]

I could be wrong, but I believe that the Fest organizers are concerned that people will lose and/or forget their badges before the Fest.  I think this is also the case with the banquet tickets.  Of course, one could just as easily lose and/or forget their receipt.

If it's any consolation, long registration lines are pretty much par for the course at any sort of convention/conference.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
I could be wrong, but I believe that the Fest organizers are concerned that people will lose and/or forget their badges before the Fest.  Of course, one could just as easily lose and/or forget their receipt.

I think this IS the actual reason, but as you say, we could just as easily lose/forget to pack our receipt.  In the case of this, they say you must pay again, so why not send the badge w/the same warning?  Or is that too *logical*?  LOL!   ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
FYI, if you go to the site and still find the outdated info, hit the refresh button and the updated pages will come up.

If it still won't update, clear your browser cache.

I think this IS the actual reason, but as you say, we could just as easily lose/forget to pack our receipt.  In the case of this, they say you must pay again, so why not send the badge w/the same warning?  Or is that too *logical*?  LOL!   ;)

There's a master list of all advance payments that can be checked for both registration and banquet tickets.  Sometimes receipts don't arrive in the mail on time.  But it seems impractical for them to supply replacement badges.  Have they ever made someone pay again?

Another reason to have attendees pick up badges and banquet tickets in person is to get an accurate head count.  I know I've picked up badges for friends and been asked if the person has actually arrived.  If you decide to skip the banquet (been there, done that, though I usually will donate my ticket back), your spot can be taken by someone else.  And I'm guessing they will sell out of banquet tickets this year.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Another thing to bear in mind is that most of those involved with the mailings of any DS publications and festival stuff are volunteers.   They get it done as soon as they can once their own real life obligations are met.  I'm sure they are all aware of the timing involved.  Hopefully all the fest info will get out soon.

Nancy