Author Topic: The dinner party Episodes 604 - 606  (Read 1236 times)

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
The dinner party Episodes 604 - 606
« on: April 25, 2006, 01:09:06 AM »
BEWARE! This post contains spoilers about 1968!!

[spoiler]I finally got the disc four in boxset 10, where the story FINALLY picks up a bit after Adam and Eve, Vangelique and Barnabas.

I thought the whole luring Nicholas to the dinner party at 10 o'clock (who eats that late?!) was a bit hysterical. Julia walked in the door they were all a bit too *wink* *wink* about it. I absolutely LOVE how much screentime Professor Stokes is getting lately.

I admit I was a bit distracted by Barnabas' hair here in the first part of episode 605. The stylist went a bit nuts putting the points in. Maybe it's the fact that they look plastered to his forehead, I dunno, but it was distacting the hell out of me while watching this episode.

The scene where Barnabas sneaks into Eve's room and discovers Angelique waiting for him instead was stellar, especially the scenes afterwards where Barnabas is absolutely beside himself over what happened and what he's going to tell the others. Lara Parker and Jonathan Frid are FANTASTIC in their scenes together, especially when they are at odds. It's more than a bit fun to see Barnabas as the vampire's victim this time around. I was never much for the bride of Frankenstein dress they chose to clothe Angeliue in during her vampire stint, but with the blue lighting in Eve's *coughQuentin'scough* bedroom she looked undeniably creepy.

I find it a bit amazing how confident they all are, with the exception of Julia, that they can pull of murdering Eve, or how casually they all discuss it in the first place. Knowing that Nicholas is Angelique's "brother" and that he had a hand in her destruction, which undoubtedly makes him 10 times as powerful as Angelique, they are all amazingly overconfident in their abilities as mere mortals to fight the powers and knowledge of Hell.[/spoiler]

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
Re: The dinner party Episodes 604 - 606
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 02:47:22 AM »
the whole luring Nicholas to the dinner party at 10 o'clock (who eats that late?!)

New Yorkers!   ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 10:55:57 PM »
Poor Nicholas!  He shows up for dinner and what do they offer him? Not even claret cup!

I agree with you, Arashi--this whole thing is a hoot! I wonder whether the OH had a functioning kitchen at this point?  I needed a scene where Willie came out in a little apron to serve around canapes that he learned how to make while watching The French Chef (it started in '68, didn't it?) up at the "Big House."

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 12:53:24 AM »
these scenes were a hoot.

was the invitation for dinner or just cocktails?i forget.i loved that nicholas walked into this ridiculous little charade fully aware of what was really going on but playing along.

i agree that the scene where angelique confronts barnabas was really well done.i'm remembering a room filled with mirrors and lit very blue.the dialogue here was excellent between frid and parker.i loved how formally everyone spoke here.

funny,i really disliked this part of the show while i was actively watching but now i look back on it with some fondness.right around here there is also a genius scene between nicholas and julia at his house.very cat and mouse.it concludes if i recall with nick telling julia he admired her.

b.t.w. gothick i recently watched a documentary on pbs about julia child and i believe "the french chef" premiered in 1966.a great year all around for television. ;)
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: The other Julia
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 11:05:27 PM »
Hi MSC,

I was very surprised to learn when I looked it up that Julia Child's first series actually started around Feb. 1963.  I didn't even know WGBH existed that early!  A friend copied some of the shows for me and I really enjoy watching them.  Even as one of Julia's hated vegetarians, I learn a few things from watching her work.  And I love all her droll comments.

I was delighted to find a short biography on the PBS website that began with some line like, "to her many fans, she was just JOOOLIA."  I wonder how many of them were related to Tom Jennings!

cheers, Steve

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 06:19:59 AM »
I wonder whether the OH had a functioning kitchen at this point?  I needed a scene where Willie came out in a little apron to serve around canapes that he learned how to make while watching The French Chef (it started in '68, didn't it?) up at the "Big House."

There had to be a kitchen when Adam was

[spoiler]locked in the OH dungeon and Willie was feeding him that fried chicken plate.  It's one of the few times we see food in this show.[/spoiler]

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 03:29:32 PM »
There had to be a kitchen when Adam was

[spoiler]locked in the OH dungeon and Willie was feeding him that fried chicken plate.  It's one of the few times we see food in this show.[/spoiler]

Maybe there was a local KFC in Collinsport?  Or actually, it probably would have been a Gino's as that's where you got KFC in those days!  I LOVED Gino's!  Their "Hero" burger was da bomb!!!   :P
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 09:01:14 PM »
Buzz...Gino's rocked fer sure... ;) thanks for the fond memory.

There was food served in OH when Barn first arrives, IIRC..

Patti
What a Woman!