Author Topic: Least favorite DS writer  (Read 3023 times)

Offline Professor1985

• Full Poster
  • The Professor
    • View Profile
Least favorite DS writer
« on: February 06, 2006, 08:19:38 AM »
My least favorite writer of Dark Shadows is Violet Welles because she ruined DS, she was responsible for making Mineva Trask (Clarice Blackburn) accusing Rachel Drummond (KLS) the 1897 governess for being the excesory of the murder of Mineva's brother Simon Bryer, and she and trask accused her of stealing money, but the character of Rachel clams it's her own salary, I hated it. She's responsible for killing of the character of Rachel Drummond, I know that KLS went on a summer vacation to Africa before she returned playing the character of Kitty Soames. That's a lot for killing off Rachel Drummond Ms. Wells.

If I was Dan Curtis, or a castmember of DS, I would write a memo to fire Violet Welles from the DS Writing staff or come to her office and tear her script into pieces in front of her. I don't want to hurt people's feelings and I don't want to be a sexist, but everybody has different opinions, I hated her writing on DS. She reminds me of Arnie Fetterman (Milt Oberman) in the 1991 movie Delirious staring the late John Candy, where Candy's character Gable hated Arnie Fetterman and his storylines. I liked the late Gordon Russell and Sam Hall's writing on DS better. That's why Ms. Welles is/was my least favorite DS writer.
Spencer H. Karter

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Least favorite DS writer
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 01:29:28 PM »
Oh dear.....
if I'm not mistaken it was Violet Welles who wrote some of those magnificent 1897 episodes around the time Petofi wreaks havoc with the household and Quentin is one of the few retaining his sanity.  Perhaps it would have been easier to fire KLS and the dippy Rachel Drummond.

[roll3]

-Still in foul mood   :P
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 03:45:12 PM »
 Er.  I disagree.  I liked Violet Welles' writing.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 04:33:07 PM »
I disagree as well.  Believe me, it wasn't Violet Welles' decison to make the Trask's asses, that was just part of the package.  Play a Trask, play an ass!   ;D  We had to have villen's to show off how righteous the the good guys/hero's were didn't we?   ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Ian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 05:55:10 PM »
I disagree as well.  Believe me, it wasn't Violet Welles' decison to make the Trask's asses, that was just part of the package.  Play a Trask, play an ass!   ;D  We had to have villen's to show off how righteous the the good guys/hero's were didn't we?   ;)

I concur. JL did an awesome job in that role too. ;)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 06:57:13 PM »
Um, most of the plot points on DS (especially the really extreme, crazy ones) were dictated by Dan Curtis or, later in the series (1970-71), by Lela Swift who became the Producer during the final phase.  The writers just had to choose HOW to write the story handed to them by DC.  In some cases there was more give and take with the writers and Curtis spending hours arguing over how to plot a given storyline.  In some cases they appear to have switched gears abruptly in mid stream (compare the respective runups to both 1795 and 1840 and how the stories actually played out).

So, it's really not fair to blame Welles for "killing off" Rachel.  Welles wrote some of the best scripts in DS history.  I'd say that she and Francis Swann were probably the best of all the writers.  My personal least favorite writer was Ron Sproat.  His scripts on DS were so paint by numbers.  I've seen his work for Strange Paradise as well, and it was equally lacklustre.

G.

Offline Satan

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 07:28:06 PM »
She's responsible for killing of the character of Rachel Drummond, I know that KLS went on a summer vacation to Africa before she returned playing the character of Kitty Soames. That's a lot for killing off Rachel Drummond Ms. Wells.

If that's true, then I do thank her for that. Rachel was a boring character. I am glad she didn't last long. Kitty was much more interesting and KLS portrayal as Kitty was marvelous.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 09:57:18 PM »
I'd tip my hat to anyone who ever managed to write an entire teleplay of any length, just once.

People who do it day after day, deserve applause.

Being creative is a gift.  Doing it over and over, on demand, on a schedule, is work.

Doing it very, very well.....that's genius.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Professor1985

• Full Poster
  • The Professor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 10:29:42 PM »
Oh dear.....
if I'm not mistaken it was Violet Welles who wrote some of those magnificent 1897 episodes around the time Petofi wreaks havoc with the household and Quentin is one of the few retaining his sanity.  Perhaps it would have been easier to fire KLS and the dippy Rachel Drummond.

[roll3]

-Still in foul mood   :P

I disagree in the last paragraph.
Spencer H. Karter

Offline AndreDuPres

• Full Poster
  • I don't know, Barnabas. I just don't know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 10:53:11 PM »
When I started doing my own radio soap opera, I thought it would be pretty easy, but it really isn't.  Writing the script is so much harder than actually performing it.  It's difficult to juggle plot development with character development, and it's so easy to get mired in all those characters and their dialogue with each other.  I'm sure you guys who have done any creative writing would agree.  Kudos to those DS writers, especially Violet Welles.  I loved 1897, and her scripts were particularly "magical."

Offline Professor1985

• Full Poster
  • The Professor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 11:14:24 PM »
When I started doing my own radio soap opera, I thought it would be pretty easy, but it really isn't.  Writing the script is so much harder than actually performing it.  It's difficult to juggle plot development with character development, and it's so easy to get mired in all those characters and their dialogue with each other.  I'm sure you guys who have done any creative writing would agree.  Kudos to those DS writers, especially Violet Welles.  I loved 1897, and her scripts were particularly "magical."

I just wanted to ask a question. Why Violet Welles wanted to write for Dark Shadows? Not Days of Our Lives, As The World Turns, or General Hospital?
Spencer H. Karter

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2006, 12:06:30 AM »
I believe Ms Welles was writing ad and promo copy etc. for ABC and/or the theatre(?). I know she was a Press Agent. Someone else here may have better details than I.  I seem to recall that she was approached by another DS writer whom she had been helping with preliminary script treatments and this writer felt that she would make a great DS writer herself.  I personally liked her work (partially because she has been generally credited for being the one to come up with the name "Count Petofi" as a reference, then running with it),I thought she had a real sense of the era and atmosphere of 1897 Collinwood.  But, then again, I am partial to 1897 DS, and I especially liked the writing overall.  I think it has a unique wit, particularly the early episodes and "Granny's Will" part of the story.  Quentin was a sarcastic wit right out of the box; almost elevating certain scenes to comedy of manners (or, in Quentin's case, lack of manners). The repartee was faster and more interesting than typical soap dialogue, and it still is.  I tend to agree, Gothick, that no one writer had the responsibility of offing any character, since it was an employment issue, as well as a story issue.  Believe me, Professor, I understand being PO'd about a favorite character being mishandled or removed.  Perhaps KLS wanted to play someone who she percieved as less of a victim?  Early Lady Kitty certainly was more of a borderline villainess than victim! I understand she also went to Africa with Ben Martin around that time.

I just found the Association of Theatrical Press Agents and Managers(ATPAM), which lists a Violet Welles as having died October 18, 2003.  According to the Internet Broadway Database, Ms Welles was a press representative for 22 Broadway shows, including the first run of Man of La Mancha, Royal Hunt of the Sun, and A Thousand Clowns. Her Broadway work took place in the 60s and early 70s.  I think this publicity/promotions work is the kind  that made up much of her career.

Petofi

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2006, 12:22:30 AM »
I have an interview with Violet Welles somewhere or other--I believe it was published in TWODS, but it may have been in "Inside the Old House."  It's true that she was a publicist, and she even worked on one of Grayson's plays (might have been "The Love Nest"?).  She was also a ghost-writer, and would handle some of Gordon Russell's workload when he got too frazzled to deal with it.  I believe he suggested that she talk to Dan Curtis about becoming a staff writer for DS, but I'm not sure when that happened.  Gordon Russell began writing for the show in, I think, the Summer of 1967, so it may be that she already wrote some scripts back then--they would have had his byline, however.  (On the topic of ghost writers, there's a fascinating article about playwright Robert Patrick's work out in LA in this capacity; it's a lucrative line for writers who want the freedom to pursue their own work.)

Welles officially stopped writing for DS in, I think, some point of the Parallel Time 1970 storyline, but she came back to do a lot of the scripts for the Parallel Time 1841 sequence.  Again, I think most, if not all, of these scripts had Gordon Russell's name on them.

G.

Offline Professor1985

• Full Poster
  • The Professor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2006, 01:24:28 AM »
Perhaps KLS wanted to play someone who she percieved as less of a victim?  Early Lady Kitty certainly was more of a borderline villainess than victim! I understand she also went to Africa with Ben Martin around that time.

Lady Kitty more borderline villaness than victim! I disagree!
Spencer H. Karter

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2006, 01:34:23 AM »
I was thinking more along the lines of her early episodes, when she was a golddigger, her sights set ::) on marrying Edward and her murky past relationship to Count Petofi.  Her later episodes, and her switching back and forth between being Kitty and Josette, are a somewhat different story. ::)