Author Topic: Who else loves Parallel Time?  (Read 3556 times)

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
Re: Who else loves Parallel Time?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2006, 06:33:56 AM »
There are threads here somewhere that can attribute a good number of the SLs (and for that matter plot points).  to various sources from classics to trash. That stupid [spoiler]Judah Zachary head in a case[/spoiler] is from a B horror film.

Yes indeed!  There is no question - "The Thing That Couldn't Die" has to be the inspiration for that storyline.  I think it's amusing that this movie is inevitably left off the lists of stories that inspired DS storylines.  You always read about how DS adapted these great literary classics, but the B-movie factor is always conspicuous by its absence.  I watched "The Thing That Couldn't Die" recently - a fun-to-watch bad movie.  The DS storyline it inspired was an improvement on the film IMO. [spoiler]I also think Judah was much creepier than the warlock head in TTTCD.[/spoiler] 
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2006, 07:22:00 AM »
Although I found high points in 1970PT, overall it was my least favorite storyline.  I especially disliked the Jekyll and Hyde part even though I am a fan of the Jekyll and Hyde story and some of the movie versions.  Quentin was probably the other thing I disliked the most.  Now, I don't think that every character or even a main character needs to be likable by any means, but I just found Selby increasingly grating to watch this time around.  Ditto for the Bruno character.

I liked the concept of parallel time and the idea that the same characters had different lives because of choices they had made that changed them and changed history.  Nancy Barrett and John Karlen showed their versatility as always.  I thought Lara Parker differentiated the two roles very well, and the fate of one of them was creepy.

However, I liked the 1841 parallel time story much better.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2006, 08:16:45 AM »
I think it's a more legitimate and creative act to take a promising premise from a bad movie, and rework it into something good, than to take the premise of a great novel or film and redo it.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2006, 04:12:24 PM »
However, I liked the 1841 parallel time story much better.

Yeah Vlad!  Another fan who also likes 1841 PT!  We are a rare bunch.  ;)  I think most fans don't like this plotline because [spoiler]it didn't have any of our faves in it (Barnabas, Julia etc...).  All other 'back in time' or 'parallel time' storylines had SOMEONE from our world present, this one didn't.  Add to this the fact that the show ENDED here and you get more fan frustration.  But as I've said in the past, I like that the show ended this way, it gave rise to TONS of fan fiction, which I love to read and write![/spoiler]

I'm currently working on a fan novel about this time period and beyond--basically a 'whatever happened to Bramwell and Catherine' type story.  I hope to have it ready for sale at the Festival this August. ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline AndreDuPres

• Full Poster
  • I don't know, Barnabas. I just don't know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2006, 08:16:40 PM »
I'm a big fan of (what I saw of) 1841 PT, though I don't care for it as much as 1970 PT.  Still, 1841 PT has Nancy Barrett at her best, IMO:  Melanie is one awesome character!

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2006, 10:50:53 PM »
Parallel time is like a apricot brandy-soaked fruitcake (made with assorted dried fruit and pecans...not those red and green things. {Cough}) Its filled with potent nuggets of joy, surprises, and ultimately...intriguing to the last slice.

And in general, I agree...the concept of PT is fantastic fodder for fanfiction, indeed.

Popping in when I can,

Ms. studious [yes, I do indeed compare a lot of things to baking.  ::) One of my many eccentricities... :D]

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline DSFan008

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2006, 06:15:03 AM »
I really enjoyed 1970PT it was one of the best periods of DS since the beginning of the werewolf/Quintin period.

I liked All the PT character, Quintin, Liz, Carolyn etc. I liked how they reverted Maggie back to the innocent girl from the early seasons. She was naive but interesting.

This period of Ds was excellent.

on the subject of 1841PT...i was somewhat intersted in it but it was confusing and disjointed. also since the show ended their with no real link to any previous portions of DS it kind of upset me.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2006, 11:56:15 AM »
I'm currently working on a fan novel about this time period and beyond--basically a 'whatever happened to Bramwell and Catherine' type story.  I hope to have it ready for sale at the Festival this August. ;)

Good luck with that, Buzz... I've wanted to take part in fanfic for something like 20 years, but various things (medical) stopped me.   Got anything you're working on where a drawing as illustration could help?    Given enormous warning time, I like to think I could come up with something.   I don't stink, I swear.    The problem is source material, plus the fact that any focusing squeezes my eyeballs like they're in vises.    But that's my problem.     Over a period of several months, one drawing might be possible.    I don't know where to find interesting photos to use though.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2006, 03:47:24 PM »
Got anything you're working on where a drawing as illustration could help?    Given enormous warning time, I like to think I could come up with something

Hmmm, well, I already have a cover, but let me think on it and get back to you.  If I end up breaking the novel down into chapters, I may want illustrations for each one at the beginning, ala Harry Potter fiction.  Thanks for the offer!  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2006, 07:45:52 AM »
http://visualdevice.blogspot.com/

This is for you to see if you want me involved or not.  Source material is still a problem.  As are the eyes.

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2006, 04:33:38 PM »
I haven't seen the parallel time episodes since they were on the Sci-Fi channel years ago.  I remember really liking them.  I found the lack of our usual characters to be quite refreshing and interesting.  The usual plotlines, good as they are, get old after a while.  The characters in parallel time were really fascinating to me.  There were also (sorry if my memory is off on this) so many motives and counter motives, it was like everyone was plotting against everyone else, who was plotting against everyone else, etc.  I love stuff like that.

I'm really looking forward to getting the DVD's eventually, but I'm just at the point where Quentin makes his first appearance, so I've got a long way to go.  Maybe the Summer after this coming Summer.  Or maybe I'll just skip about 7 DVD sets and get straight into it  ;D  Looking at some of the screencaps in "caption this" makes it very tempting!

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2006, 06:34:37 PM »
Well, from my nick I obviously enjoy PT, but with some qualifications as well. I do get tired of Quentin's painfully short temper and that he has such little trust in Maggie. I know they have to have conflict, but this is the least likable Quentin. I have to say as well Quentin doesn't have as much chemistry with Maggie as he did with say Beth or would with Daphne, IMO, or even Samantha, as Virginia was such a good actress, I can see at some time in their past, their was romance. On the other hand, I had trouble believing Quentin and Laura even more, so its kinda in the middle. I agree Bruno is all too often a one-note (all puns intended) character.  [gramophone]  Likewise, its awkward when Barnabas disappears for weeks at a time, and we get too little of Trask.
     Now, on the positive, I do like Cyrus. One thing I think is overlooked is the genuine friendship between Cyrus and Quentin. My wife always says Cyrus reminds her a bit of the King Tut  [egypt] character on "Batman" when he reverts back to his non-criminal state, "Oh dear, I've been bad again, haven't I?" But I like Cyrus with all his inhibitions although I find Yaeger a bit vulgar, and a hint of the more extreme characters DS may have developed in the '70s had it ran longer.
      I love Louis' s character in PT. I love the moments when he talks to the portrait. Its some of the very best acting he did in the series, on par with Joshua's emotional cracks at the end of 1795. I like the rather wan and dissipated Carolyn with all her demons, bottled and otherwise. I bet Grayson had great time playing "evil" Hoffman. I also love the little ghost touches.
      That said, the only other parts I don't like is that the "evil twin" story's a bit padded out in length, although I doubt any soap has ever passed on the lure of that story, and I bet again Laura enjoyed playing it. The whole "sleeping beauty" is a bit awkward, although I think Donna Wandry added some good, flesh blood to her era.  [_Vampire_] Barnabas proved once again, how fickle his love longings were. I can see why Julia (and her legion) want to slap him into reality now and then.
      Lastly, its a great concept, as where else in the series is anyone susceptible to being knocked off and really die. Overall, I rate it a fine middle of the pack story, better than the "Eve" half of the Adam story, but certainly no match for 1897 or 1975.

Michael
 [a_monkey] Monkeys are still your best entertainment value
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul