Author Topic: Who else loves Parallel Time?  (Read 3559 times)

Offline AndreDuPres

• Full Poster
  • I don't know, Barnabas. I just don't know!
    • View Profile
Who else loves Parallel Time?
« on: January 18, 2006, 01:53:42 PM »
1970 PT has become one of my favourite storylines of the show.  The variety of characters, the luxurious setting, the omnipresence of Lara Parker, the garish costumes, & etc. are all so wonderful and fascinating as is the very concept of PT!  A lot of people seem to dislike this time in DS, but whenever I want to watch an episode or two (or three or four), I usually reach for 1897 or PT.  Sure, Maggie and Quentin can be quite annoying at times, and the Roxanne stuff is kind of tacked on badly, but the rest is brilliant.  Angelique PT is a great villain, even more evil than her regular time counterpart, IMO, and Grayson Hall as "Hoffman" is fantastic.

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Who else loves Parallel Time?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 03:37:12 PM »
You're not alone, Andre!  I've posted several times over the years how much I love this time period.  How ironic that one of DS' best eras followed the disaster known as Leviathan.  This is truly the last time we see so many of the DS regulars in contemporary clothing- in the Summer '70 story, there weren't many actors used.  1970 PT marks the end of the road for Don Briscoe, Lisa Richards, and Denise Nickerson, while Marie Wallace left just before the story began.  You hardly see Thayer David or John Karlen in Summer 1970, and I believe Louis Edmonds wasn't even available!  Let's not forget that we don't have Jerry Lacy, Lara Parker or Michael Stroka  in the Summer '70 story.  Plus the Summer 1970 story focused on a whole bunch of newcomers: James Storm, Kate Jackson, Kathy Cody and Donna Wandrey.   With the subsequent cast changes (especially the departure of Kathryn Leigh Scott in September '70), 1970 PT is truly a last hurrah for the extended DS family.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 08:05:36 PM »

I adore 1970PT!  It's a fun & clever segment of the show.  One thing that's kind of cool about it is the fact that many
things in 1970PT are weirdly opposite of RT.  For example:

[spoiler]Willie chains Barnabas in the coffin as opposed to letting him out like in RT.  Hoffman tries to destroy Barnabas in PT as opposed to trying to save him.  The significant portrait in PT is of Angelique as opposed to Josette's portrait in RT. Chris Pennock's character in PT is a man who turns into a monster as opposed to a monster who turns into a man in RT.[/spoiler]

PT has lots of neat stuff like that. :)
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 09:07:38 PM »
I guess I'll be the first to say that I didn't like the PT segment of the show. I can't see myself watching it again. Maybe once. I couldn't tolerate Quentin, Maggie or Angelique whatsoever, and the only interesting characters to me were Carolyn & Willie and they got very little screen time overall. I wasn't into the Cyrus Longworth storyline (though I liked Buffy) and Roxanne I can definitely leave. Barnabas's absence from the early PT episodes made it worse because there was no one on screen I cared to watch.  And any storyline that makes me despise Quentin isn't one that I'm probably going to like much.  :-

I suppose though what it comes down to for me is that I just didn't care enough about the parallel time characters, and when PT rolled around, I was pretty much sick of the time jumping.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 09:33:20 PM »
I've also posted several times over the years about how fond I am of PT 1970.  I thought this story worked much better than the attempt to do a PT 1841 story, presumably because the writers had a bit more time to set things up (despite how frantic things were preparing for the filmshoot).

I love so many things about PT 1970: what Sy did with the sets; a few new music cues to suggest a different universe; Hoffman, Hoffman, Hoffman!; Louis' superbly arch and bitchy twist to the new Roger (obviously meant to suggest Clifton Webb in Rebecca, but I really do think Edmonds made this character fully his own); the fabulous Angelique/Alexis dual role for Parker; Thayer's wonderful work late in the game as alcoholic, delightfully seedy mad scientist Tim Stokes; the fabulous (and much mourned) Paula Laurence as Aunt Hannah; Lacy's gig as a butler; great roles for Elizabeth Eis and John Harker; Bennett's initial characterization of PT Liz as a dowdy mouse; and who can forget Claude North, Chris Collins' secret gay lover?  (OK, so I made that last bit up, but I can't think of anyone more deserving of Chris than our own Claude!--OK, Sandor, so you guys can work out a time share!!).

Deserving of her own paragraph is Barrett's work as Carolyn Stoddard Loomis.  I happen to think that Barrett did some of her very finest, most nuanced work onscreen in this part.  If daytime Emmies meant anything, she should have been nominated for this.  Equally fine, of course, is Karlen as alcoholic, washed up hasbeen writer Will Loomis.

I could still mention things I love about the storyline, such as the seance sequence and the haunting of Damion Edwards story, and the fact that Collinsport finally gets an English Inspector (just off the boat from Scotland Yard??) to investigate the murder mystery.  Just great stuff.

G.   

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 04:42:42 AM »
I don't remember much about the 1970PT storyline, just bits and pieces.  I look forward to reviewing it again when I get the DVDs.  I must say though that I love the idea of parallel time and have written it into some of my DS fanfic.  I am just sorry that they didn't allow AM to play Vicki in PT as the opposite of what she was like in RT.  I think that would have stretched the imagination for the actor and viewers and would have been a hit.  I like the idea that because of some decision made differently, the world their lives changed.  I liked the TV series Sliders for that reason until they changed it several years into the series.
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 08:00:34 AM »
I've always loved 1970 PT.  I wouldn't rank it at the top for storylines, but I still consider it a favorite.  Part of the "magic" of it though, was the mystery when it first appeared, before we learned that it was parallel time and what that meant.  That's lost for most people now, because from sites like this, newcomers are aware of a storyline called "parallel time."

[spoiler]The "beauty" and brightness of the sets adds to it; the Angelique - Alexis part was great.  It was so nice being able to see a "good" Angelique (Alexis) - yet there was the underlying mystery as to which she really was.

I wasn't too thrilled with the Jekyll-Hyde part of the story, but it had it's moments and combined pretty well with the other story.[/spoiler]
Josette

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 02:49:10 PM »
I love so many things about PT 1970: what Sy did with the sets; a few new music cues to suggest a different universe; Hoffman, Hoffman, Hoffman!; Louis' superbly arch and bitchy twist to the new Roger (obviously meant to suggest Clifton Webb in Rebecca, but I really do think Edmonds made this character fully his own)

I think you're thinking of Laura. Hoffman, Quentin, Maggie, and Angelique were doing their low-rent version of Rebecca  ;)

I like parts of PT. Chris Pennock is loads of campy fun and some of the tertiary characters are a hoot. However, the Angeliquecentric story bores me to absolute tears.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 03:57:10 PM »
I haven't yet seen 1970 PT, but LOVE 1841 PT!  That is my second favorite plotline behind 1795.  So, as much as I love 1841 PT, I'm sure I'll love 1970 PT too.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2006, 04:58:58 PM »
Luciaphil darlin', thanks for that correction!  I got fuddled but I guess the show was adding in an element of Laura there in the midst of the Rebecca redaction.

It's been such a treat to see your revival of your notes on Dark Shadows!  Keep up the fabulous work!

Best,

Steve

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 07:33:52 PM »
Okay, all the above has made me come to the conclusion that your impression of PT comes from how familiar or unfamiliar you are with the elements of it.     The concept of another dimension existing in the same physical space and in the same time as our reality had become something of an old chestnut even by 1970.   TV shows constantly reused ideas from other series then.    Whenever any show came up with a basic premise, it would pop up on seven other shows.    The first appearance of the parallel universe idea that I know of was in Star Trek, one of the great first season ones, unless Outer Limits did it first, I haven't seen that many of those.

PT begins with a too-faithful remake of Rebecca and Jeckyl and Hyde.    Once all that finally runs its course, I can begin to take an interest.    Events start taking off in a more original direction, though these events may be liftedtoo, from classics that I don't know.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006, 08:06:58 PM »
PT begins with a too-faithful remake of Rebecca and Jeckyl and Hyde.    Once all that finally runs its course, I can begin to take an interest.    Events start taking off in a more original direction, though these events may be liftedtoo, from classics that I don't know.

There are threads here somewhere that can attribute a good number of the SLs (and for that matter plot points).  to various sources from classics to trash. That stupid [spoiler]Judah Zachary head in a case[/spoiler] is from a B horror film.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2006, 08:09:18 PM »
The first appearance of the parallel universe idea that I know of was in Star Trek, one of the great first season ones

I remember that episode!  "Mirror, Mirror" and Spock had a beard!  One of my all-time fave ST eps! ;)  It was so interesting to see how different all the characters were in their parallel world.   :D
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2006, 09:43:47 PM »
1970 PT had some great moments, and I concur with the posters who singled out the performances of Nancy Barrett, Grayson Hall, John Karlen, Lara Parker and Louis Edmonds. Interest waned when the main cast was off filming the Dark Shadows movie, but they all came back with a vengeance, and the payoff was sweet. Too bad that Clarice Blackburn was busy doing "The Secret Storm" during this storyline - would have loved to see a spicey/dicey Mrs. Johnson in the parallel world (as Angelique's sidekick perhaps, though Paula Laurence's Hannah Stokes was a hoot in her own right).

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2006, 01:45:39 AM »
The first appearance of the parallel universe idea that I know of was in Star Trek, one of the great first season ones

I remember that episode!  "Mirror, Mirror" and Spock had a beard!  One of my all-time fave ST eps! ;)  It was so interesting to see how different all the characters were in their parallel world.   :D

No, no, no!  That was second season.   First season, it was "The Alternative Factor", where the SF premise was really well explained and set up, and was actually horrifying.   The other universe was anti-matter.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor