Author Topic: Innovation's '91 DS Comic, Book 3  (Read 11151 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Innovation's '91 DS Comic, Book 3
« on: January 01, 2020, 06:00:00 AM »
We've decided to move forward in 2020 with Book 3 of Innovation's '91 DS comic series. Even though there is only one issue, that issue is well worth exploring. In fact, Issue 1 really does show how promising the story would have most probably turned out to have been had it been released in its entirty. But alas...

First up, sharing the cover:

(Click here for a 1328X1996 version (without any of the artifacts that the forum's system created when downsizing the image))

And what the cover relates to will become apparent before too long...

Also, this time around the front covers are again drawn by artist Hector Gomez, but the back covers are drawn by (an uncredited on the cover) Jose Pimentel, and the story is drawn by a new artist to the series, Felipe Echevarria, in a very ethereal style that is hinted at by today's first entry in Book 3's slideshow...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Innovation's '91 DS Comic, Book 3
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 06:04:18 PM »
And here's the inside cover -

(Click here for a 1328X1996 version)

For a change, the month in the signature of the essay actually does correspond to the month the issue came out.

And speaking of the signature, you may be asking yourself who George Broderick, Jr. is. Well, if you've been paying attention to the credits on the back inside covers (something I didn't check out closely until after I noticed something we'll address in an upcoming post), you're already aware that his name first appeared on the back cover of Book 1, Issue 1, where he was credited as an Art Director. However, he has risen to become Editor-In-Chief as of Book 2, Issue 3's back inside cover (after David Campiti departed as Managing Editor). He also has another job so far as this issue goes (but that won't be revealed until that same upcoming post).

And you also may be asking yourself why the credits are on this front inside cover. Well, that's because the back inside cover for this issue has nothing to do with the DS comic series - but more on that after we reach this issue's back inside cover...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 10:56:38 PM »
Interesting. I can't recall the specifics of the chronology, but I would imagine that the never-published "Origins of Angelique" story co-authored by Lara Parker eventually saw the light of day as Angelique's Descent.

Is this one issue going to be the main slide show for the next twelve months? Asking for a friend.

Happy New Year!

GothEEEEEEEEEK (turn to camera 3 and scream)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 01:08:10 AM »
Here's what SG #62 had to share about the plot for Book 3, Issue 1:

Though I'm sure it will come as no surprise to anyone that something in even those few remarks that SG shared from David Campiti manages to once again conflict with the '91 Series - and to conflict big time. But more on that once we reach that point in Book 3, Issue 1. Though, if you think about the timing within the '91 Series as the comic's plot unfolds, perhaps you'll hit on the problem yourself and I won't have to point it out...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 01:14:42 AM »
Interesting. I can't recall the specifics of the chronology, but I would imagine that the never-published "Origins of Angelique" story co-authored by Lara Parker eventually saw the light of day as Angelique's Descent.

It did indeed.

Is this one issue going to be the main slide show for the next twelve months? Asking for a friend.

Well, you can tell your friend that this slideshow will last from January through March, basically the same length as if we had all four issues of Book 3. A new, and I think fun slideshow based on the original DS will begin in April...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 02:10:49 AM »
I'm still trying to figure out what happened in Book 2 and what that was all about.

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 06:02:18 AM »
Here's the first page -

Not only is this the first page, quite obviously it's also the title page. Unlike Books 1 & 2, Book 3 does not have a double title page. And another thing it doesn't have is an opening from Vicki - but that will actually make some sense once the story develops.

And no that we can see the entire page, as opposed to the cropping that was used for the slideshow. it becomes much clearer that the scene depicted is a funeral. Could the little girl be the ghost of the person they're burying?

Also, note that George Broderick, Jr. is listed with Jim Pierson as a Consulting Editor. It's too bad that the series didn't continue because it would have been fascinating to see if his addition would have made an difference whatsoever when it came to conflicts with the '91 Series. But alas...

Note, also, that there's a new person doing the lettering...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 07:13:01 AM »
Thanks for that background, MB. I look forward very much to the new slideshow in April.

Was the complete script by Scott Rockwell ever published in any form?

Best wishes,

G ... who tonight embarked on a "Happy 50th anniversary" revisit of the PT 1970 storyline... starting with episodes 969-70. Great fun! Sam Hall wrote some hilarious dialogue for those two shows.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 04:36:00 PM »
SG #66 from October 1993 shared a version of Page 1 -

- minus the little bit of dialogue and the credits...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2020, 06:15:03 AM »
And here's the second page -

Note the skipped panels and dialogue or prayer, really...

It always seems to rain during DS funerals...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2020, 03:48:58 PM »
You may have noticed that the slideshow is already up to Page 4, so here's the third page -

- because nothing on it was used in the slideshow...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 05:08:28 PM »
SG #66 shared a version of Page 3 -

- minus the one bit of dialogue...

Not exactly the best reproduction, but the brighter a photo was, the less likely it was to be reproduced well in SG though no fault of their own.

Also notice that SG indicated that Innovation was sharing the first three pages of Book 3, Issue 1. However, that is wrong. What was actually shared was Page 1, Page 3, and as we'll see in a future post, Page 4. And given Innovation's slip-ups that we've already documented, the mislabelling may not have been SG's fault but Innovation's because they, and not SG, identified the pages incorrectly...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2020, 08:13:11 PM »
Seems to be a different artist and a radically different switch of style. So far, I like the art--can't really comment on the story. I'll have to look at Maggie's Tarot notes on Barnabas.

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2020, 08:21:47 PM »
Well, that's interesting--re the Tarot spread.

In the usual way of interpreting these cards as established in 20th century Tarot teaching, the Hermit card is in the Foundation position, and the Hanged Man shows the recent past. Both these Major Arcana cards would be fitting emblems of Barnabas's long centuries trapped inside the coffin, followed by his sudden release, thanks to Willie.

His Significator card is Death. No need to comment. It presents the energy he is embodying at the present moment but also could be interpreted as showing that he is going through a time of drastic personal change. Death in the Tarot often means the death of an outworn form of the personality so that a new manifestation can take full appearance.

The Moon, in the Likely Outcome position, definitely portends the return of Angelique, his nemesis--"the most evil woman who ever lived" or however the dialogue in the script had him describing her.

The Tower, in the Near Future, just as clearly figures as a terrible omen of Barnabas's aging and his attack on Carolyn when Julia's experiment goes horribly wrong.

These readings are based on the tradition of the Celtic Cross (a way of reading Tarot that became popular between around 1880 and 1900), as described in the books of Eden Gray, Rachel Pollack, and other Tarot authorities. What the Innovation comic writer did with these cards in terms of their positions is quite odd but then again--so is a lot in these books!

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2020, 08:26:51 PM »
Thanks for your Tarot interpretation, Gothick.  [santa_smiley]  It's always nice when someone who actually understands Tarot explains if any form of DS is getting anything right...