Author Topic: Innovation's '91 DS Comic, Book 3  (Read 11143 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Innovation's '91 DS Comic, Book 3
« Reply #150 on: July 09, 2020, 02:08:03 PM »
Two '93 NYC Fest photos from SG #67:

And in case you wonder what Thinnes is holding, it's a copy of Kathleen Resch's SHADOWS IN THE '90s: The Dark Shadows Concordance 1991, an excellent source on the '91 Series.

And more to come...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 11, 2020, 03:54:06 PM »
An update from SG #67 regarding MPI's VHS tapes related to the '91 Series:

It's a good thing they didn't provide any release info regarding the DS Resurrected tape because, as has been mentioned before, despite it already being completed in 1994, it would be years before it actually came out.  [ghost_sad]

But I've been holding back on sharing this MPI ad which announced the release of the '91 DS on VHS so that there would at least be something of interest in the post when I shared the above. The ad was shared in SG #61 from back in August of 1992:

(Click here for a 1298X1705 version)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 12, 2020, 03:08:18 PM »
I'm made reference to this card set a few times on the forum but I've never shared any of the publicity about it. But I'm sharing this from SG #67 because it makes an announcement about possible '91 Series merchandise:

And here's a promotion from Imagine that SG #67 shared:

I'm sure you've seen the portrait hanging on a wall in photos on other DS Web sites or in merchandise deal offers (not all that long ago it popped up in the photo of an offer I'd linked to - though I don't remember which offer it was).

The original DS sets were quite nice when they came out because they included several rare photos. Though many of them are not so rare anymore because they've since been shared elsewhere. And as a bit of trivia about these sets, it will no doubt come as no surprise to anyone that they were supposed to come out in May of 1993, and then July, but they were actually released closer to October. But delays like that are just par for the course for almost all DS merchandise. We've learned to expect and live with by now...

As for the potential '91 Series set, the saga will continue in SG #68... 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 12, 2020, 07:44:40 PM »
Before I post what I think will be the last two photos from the '93 NYC Fest, a bit of business related to the photo I posted of Roy Thinnes back in reply #150. I mentioned that he's holding a copy of Kathleen Resch's SHADOWS IN THE '90s: The Dark Shadows Concordance 1991. Well, here's what SG #65 from July 1993 had to say about that book:

However, SG #66 from October 1993 had an update in its listing:

But SG #67 from January 1994 had no prices listed for any of Kathleen Resch's books. Instead at the top of the listing of her books it said to send a SASE for info. It would be interesting to know if the '91 Series book is even still in print nowadays...

And now with all that out of the way, here are two more '93 NYC Fest photos from SG #67:

I have no idea why someone often seemed to love to trim photos with Barbara Blackburn in them. Who knows if it was Marcy or the person who sent them to her. But it's odd if you ask me.

And this post closes out what I've wanted to share about Book 3 and the things in SG that were going on when it came out. So, unless something I've forgotten about or something new shows up, This is probably it for stuff regarding Book 3. But fear not, this is not the end for Innovation for there is stuff to post regarding the ill-fated Book 4. And I'll start a topic for that once I've formatted some stuff to post...

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 12, 2020, 08:01:26 PM »
I am really enjoying these festival pictures. I had switched jobs (not my idea) and had no vacation time that I could use. I couldn't rationalize going away for a weekend without pay, so I stayed home. I was disappointed that I didn't get to meet the 1991 cast members, though I have since met all three. I was particularly impressed with Barbara Blackburn.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 12, 2020, 08:36:39 PM »
I think I may have mentioned this before but I really liked Barbara Blackburn when she played Siobhan Ryan on Ryan's Hope so I was thrilled when I read she'd been cast as Carolyn.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 13, 2020, 03:30:20 PM »
I've just been going through SG issues to make sure I haven't missed scanning anything regarding Book 4 and I came across something I'd completely forgotten about. In SG #58 from November 1991 it was reported that Book 3 (though referred to as Issues #9-12 because the comics hadn't been designated into books yet) was "tentatively scheduled" to be written by Andy Mangels, who was already working for Innovation writing the Child's Play and Nightmare on Elm Street comics. Well, apparently that idea fell through for whatever reason. Though it's just as well for Mangels because only Book 3, Issue 1 (Issue #9) was ever released...