Author Topic: Innovation's '91 DS Comic, Book 2  (Read 29473 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Innovation's '91 DS Comic, Book 2
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2019, 07:06:01 PM »
So, wait a minute... What is the chronology of this thing in relation to the series? The story in the comic being around Christmas 1991, wouldn't that be after the events in the series? If so, yes, I do see a huge, huge glaring "fatal" boo-boo!

Yes, if Book 1 and Book 2 of the comic took place after the series, there would definitely be a humongous and glaring problem with the panel in Reply #16!!  [deady]  But both books fit into the '91 Series somewhere between hours 3 & 4, with Book 1 actually taking place after Book 2...

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2019, 09:32:47 PM »
But both books fit into the '91 Series somewhere between hours 3 & 4, with Book 1 actually taking place after Book 2...

Well, that certainly is quite confusing... I have a hard time imagining so much time elapsing between hours 3 and 4 of the series. (That is, if it's Christmas 1991. In what year, and roughly what time of year, do they expect us to understand the whole story started?)

For sure, the OS had fun jumping through time, but they usually were pretty clear about when we were in the story. They didn't have nonlinear story arcs like Innovation seemed to be doing.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2019, 10:02:22 PM »
In hour 4 of the '91 Series we learn that things have skipped ahead 10 weeks during Barnabas' treatment. It's during those 10 weeks that Book 1 and Book 2 of the comic take place.

Of course, beyond the treatments, another reason the series skipped ahead was so that they didn't have to depict winter. Well, that and they were also following how hoDS also skipped ahead during Barnabas' treatment. DC based a lot of the early hours of the series on hoDS (so much so that much of hour 3 is a shot for shot remake of hoDS - but let's not dwell on that because my blood pressure shoots up every time we discuss it).

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2019, 12:04:25 AM »
I got so sidetracked by the trees discussion that I forgot to say that -

At this point in the story, would Joe have been still drained from Daphne's attack and be too weak to drive?

- that's very close to being the problem...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2019, 12:12:32 AM »
There are a few things to post before we get to tomorrow's quote so here's the seventh page a bit early:

(Click here for a 1328X1996 version (without any of the artifacts that the forum's system created when downsizing the image))

Note the bits of dialogue that were skipped over in the slideshow.

Plus, anyone who's a fan of the '91 Series will no doubt be able to recognize that Jose Pimentel obviously relied on actual publicity stills when it came to composing some of the panels on this page...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2019, 02:22:51 AM »
And here's the eighth page:

(Click here for a 1328X1996 version (without any of the artifacts that the forum's system created when downsizing the image))

And obviously none of the panels on this page will be a part of the slideshow...

One does have to wonder, though, why Vicki left a light on in a part of the house that chances are she rarely goes into? Plus, why is it that in December there's a window left open in the bay window above the arch? Or even left open at all when no one is in the entire house? But I suppose we're not supposed to ask those questions...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2019, 02:27:41 AM »
In hour 4 of the '91 Series we learn that things have skipped ahead 10 weeks during Barnabas' treatment. It's during those 10 weeks that Book 1 and Book 2 of the comic take place.

MB, that helps explain to me why I couldn't follow this gobblygook plot that made no sense.  I thought the comic book series was to pick up where the '91 series left off. 

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2019, 02:31:47 AM »
I thought the comic book series was to pick up where the '91 series left off.

It would have - but not until Book 4...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2019, 05:08:40 AM »
SG #62 from October 1992 shared a version of Page 8 minus the little bit of dialogue that there is on it -

- as well as with a distinctly different final panel in the bottom right corner of the page. Note also that the tray of nuts is missing from the bottom left corner panel. Who knows what the reasoning was behind both...

And if you will recall, before dividing the comics into books, Book 2, Issue 1 was known as Issue 5, so that's why it's identified in SG as such.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2019, 06:04:27 PM »
And here's the ninth page:

And take note of the dialogue and the panels that were not a part of the slideshow...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2019, 06:58:08 PM »
And here's the tenth page:

And this time take note of the dialogue and the drawings that were not a part of the slideshow...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2019, 04:00:43 PM »
And here's the eleventh page:

And this time note the nearly full page panel and the bits of dialogue that were not a part of the slideshow...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2019, 03:20:32 PM »
And here's the twelfth page:

And while taking note of the skipped dialogue/panels notice that in one instance Nathan is responding to Vicki's thoughts rather than her words...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2019, 07:46:09 PM »
Apparently Midnite is far more generous than I - she has Fred starring in his own quote today:

Book Two/Issue One/Page 13 - Fred: 'NO LOCK! LISTEN,
THERE'S BIG BUCKS HID HERE-- AND NO ONE KNOWS IT!
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO US!'

[ghost_cheesy]  As you'll recall, when it was my turn to pick out quotes for the slideshow for January, I didn't share any quotes from Fred - not even a shared quote.  [ghost_nowink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2019, 07:04:21 PM »
Here's the thirteenth page:

Note the few bits of skipped dialogue and just one skipped panel (but then that panel is without dialogue so nothing could have been quoted from it)...

Not very smart of Barnabas not to lock all the doors - especially ones that lead to parts of the cellar...