Author Topic: Innovation's '91 DS Comic, Book 2  (Read 29449 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Innovation's '91 DS Comic, Book 2
« Reply #255 on: August 29, 2019, 06:28:03 PM »
And here's the nineteenth page:

(Click here for a 1328X1996 version (without any of the artifacts that the forum's system created when downsizing the image))

Because this page appeared for five days in the slideshow, one might presume all the panels and dialogue were showcased, but now that it's been posted, obviously that isn't the case. Note the panel and the bits of dialogue that weren't used in the slideshow...

Also, obviously Jose Pimentel studied Michael T. Wiess' performances because in the 4th panel he perfectly captures how MTW juts out his chin whenever his character is making a point...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 01, 2019, 06:22:52 PM »
And here's the twentieth page:

(Click here for a 1328X1996 version (without any of the artifacts that the forum's system created when downsizing the image))

Note the panel and the three bits of dialogue that weren't used in the slideshow...

Speaking of the panel that wasn't used, who knows who that man behind the bar at the Blue Whale is in the flashback? The most likely candidate would be Sam, though if it is him, he looks somewhat different than Sam was depicted in Book 2, Issue 1:

But then, look how different Daphne looks in that panel.

But one thing that's definitely spot on is how Joe's portion of Issue 3 was written. It fits perfectly with how the '91 Series depicted Joe around the time frame the comic's scene takes place. It may have taken the comics a while to deal with Joe - but the result was worth the wait...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 03, 2019, 05:38:17 PM »
I do have to say that I'm a bit confused by the way today's quote is presented in the comic:

Quite often they make certain words bold and obviously that's so that the reader knows to emphasize those words when they're reading. But when it comes to making the word "project" bold in the above, I'm not sure what they're getting at. I don't recall that anywhere previously in the story Thenno ever referred to a project she wanted to do. So, if we as the readers are supposed to know what she's referring to, I don't see how. And even if she's supposedly foreshadowing something we'll learn about later, well, we don't actually learn about any sort of project later. It just seems like an odd remark. At least to me. And it goes right over my head...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 05, 2019, 04:24:24 PM »
And here's the twenty-first page (finally - I didn't get the chance to post it yesterday):

Note that there are several panels and several bits of dialogue that weren't used in the slideshow...

Also, the snowstorm may be problematic. But more on that after Page 22 is posted...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 05, 2019, 04:30:45 PM »
If you're a fan of the '91 Series, you may have already realized that yesterday's and today's graphics/quotes recreate the first scene of the 4th hour of the show (the 3rd ep on VHS and DVD). Though, sadly, as you've also no doubt noticed, this recreation for Book 2 doesn't adhere anywhere near as closely to the ways Book 1 recreated scenes from the show. And definitely more on that after Page 22 is posted...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 07, 2019, 12:56:53 AM »
Who knew Nathan was also feeling the injection Julia gave Barnabas at the beginning of hour 4 of the '91 Series:

Book Two/Issue Three/Page 22 - Barnabas & Nathan:
'AGH!'

But who knew a lot of things that were supposedly also going on at that time? And we'll get into that tomorrow after Page 22 is posted...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 07, 2019, 05:28:29 PM »
Here's the twenty-second page:

Note the one bit of dialogue and the panels that weren't used in the slideshow...

And shortly I'll be working on a comparison between the comic's recreation of the opening scene of the 4th hour of the series and the actual scene in the series...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 07, 2019, 07:32:47 PM »
Part One:

Panel 1 (Panel 1 of Page 22) of the recreation in Book 2, Issue 3 -

- is very different from how the scene actually plays out in Hour 4 (Ep 3) of the '91 Series. But first lets start with how the scene begins on the show:

First up we see a shot of the Old House as things slowly move in on what it supposedly Barnabas' bedroom window - and do we see even the slightest sign of snow? - uh, no - in fact, we don't even see rain - but apparently we're supposed to forget that in favor of the raging snowstorm going on in Book 2, Issue 3 - and that shot is soon -

- followed by a shot of only Barnabas' hands as he sits -

- in almost complete darkness - shortly Willie and Julia -

- enter - and as Julia makes her way over to Barnabas, we see that he is sweating profusely - and it is than that rather than delivering his line the way the comic has it, Barnabas says -

Barnabas: 'You're late, Doctor.'

- to which Julia looks back toward Willie and then to Barnabas as she explains -

Julia: 'I had to wait until the others were in bed.'

- exactly as she does in the comic - but after that we see a shot of Barnabas suffering -

- before she asks -

Julia: 'Can you fight it?'

- as she does in the comic - and to that Barnabas sneeringly replies -

Barnabas: 'If I couldn't, you wouldn't be alive to ask that
question!'

- as he does in the comic. So, as you can see so far, the dialogue is pretty much the same as the show, but in the comic's depiction everything else is very different. Apparently, unlike E Silas Smith, who depicted recreations from the show very closely to the way they actually played on the show, Jose Pimentel decided to do his own thing - even going so far as to depict part of the scene in a way that resembles a totally different scene from the show, as we'll see in an upcoming part...

Coming up: Part Two...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 08, 2019, 02:02:50 AM »
Earlier I forgot to mention something that I don't think I realized until today - and that is that the opening voiceover that they created for Ep 3 (recall that on NBC Eps 2 & 3 were edited together for the "miniseries") for the VHS release is not on the DVD. At the opening of Ep 3 we simply see the shot of the Old House that I shared above. And considering that nothing else that was added for the VHS release is on the DVDs, that shouldn't be all that much of a surprise. But recall that, as I pointed out in reply #218, the end of Ep 7's Act 2 is different from how it was aired on NBC. So that begs the question: Was it supposed to be as it is on the VHS but NBC asked that it be edited? The likely answer is yes. I suppose they felt including Angelique's heaving breast was too much for a US audience to handle.  [ghost_rolleyes]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 08, 2019, 02:26:18 AM »
Part Two:

Panel 2 (Panel 3 of Page 22) of the recreation in Book 2, Issue 3 -

- is also very different from how the scene actually plays out in Hour 4 (Ep 3) of the '91 Series:

First up in the comic Julia does make her warning -

Julia: 'Barnabas, I must warn you: the serum may be highly
toxic to your system.'

- exactly as she does on the show - and that is followed by Barnabas claiming -

Barnabas: 'Doctor, whatever the outcome, nothing could be
worse than this.'

- just as he does in the comic - however, after that, Julia studies him -

- before Barnabas adds -

Barnabas: 'I suggest you make haste.'

- after which Julia turns to make preparations -

So, again, the dialogue that appears in the comic is the same as the show, but in the comic's depiction everything else is very different. Not to mention that on the show there's a bit of dialogue that doesn't appear in the comic. But the biggest departure from the scene as it appears on the show is upcoming. And we'll deal with that in the next and final part...

Coming up: Part Three...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 08, 2019, 08:52:04 PM »
Part Three:

Panel 3 (Panel 5 of Page 22) of the recreation in Book 2, Issue 3 -

- is not just very different, it's from a totally different scene in a totally different ep of the '91 Series! But first up let's pick up from where we left off in Hour 4 (Ep 3):

A bit later in time, Barnabas watches as Julia -

- draws blood - after which she explains -

Julia: 'My baseline sample.'

- then after preparing a hypo -

- she explains -

Julia: 'This will burn.'

- then she lowers the hypo and looks down -

- as she administers the injection -

- and Barnabas watches -

- and after putting the hypo down, Julia watches for Barnabas' reaction -

- and that's basically as far as the comic's recreation goes with what's actually in the scene.

So, as we can see from the scene, Barnabas doesn't react anything like how he does in the comic as Julia administers the injection. In fact, the comic's panel is composed very similarly to this still (which is one of a set of stills) -

- from a scene that takes place in the secret room of the mausoleum in Hour 6 (Ep 5) -

- so, apparently, going his own way also means to Jose Pimentel that he could, as I alluded to above, use a still from a totally different scene in a totally different ep as his inspiration. Maybe his reasoning was one injection is like every other injection. Though that certainly isn't the case in this instance.

But anyway, there is more to the scene in Hour 4, and we'll deal with it in a future post...

Coming up: Part Four...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 11, 2019, 12:08:18 AM »
I forgot to mention that Part Four won't be coming until after we get a bit in Issue 4 because the scene in the comic is continued in Issue 4...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 11, 2019, 03:38:22 AM »
Here's the twenty-third page:

Another page where everything was used in the slideshow...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 12, 2019, 04:28:15 PM »
We're very close to wrapping up Book 2, Issue 3, so here's the thirtieth page:

I found it interesting that Innovation would be promoting Book 2, Issue 1 when people would be currently reading Issue 3 of that book. But as I said, at this point and beyond there are no longer any ads in the comics featuring DS merchandise, so I suppose Innovation had to fill the pages somehow...

And I do find it funny that the ad still says that Issue 1 was coming out in February when it actually came out in April and Issue 3 came out in August so they already knew the actual release date. But I suppose they didn't think that changing February to April was necessary. And an even funnier thing is that David Campiti said in SG that Issue 1 would be out in March, so anyone who went to look for it in February wouldn't have even found it if it had come out on schedule. But then, erroneous claims of release dates were just par for the course...

Also note that the image of the cover is somewhat different from Book 2, Issue 3's actual cover...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 14, 2019, 04:18:30 PM »
And here's the twenty-fourth page:

Posting a bit earlier than normal because there's so many things to post as we move on to Issue 4.

Note the two panels featuring Perseus that weren't included in the slideshow. And if you've forgotten the Perseus/Medusa story, check out this short YouTube video: Perseus & Medusa. Though one problem with the video is that it's a Greek myth, not Roman...