Author Topic: Innovation's '91 DS Comic, Book 2  (Read 29343 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Innovation's '91 DS Comic, Book 2
« Reply #120 on: May 31, 2019, 01:48:00 AM »
And here's the seventeenth page:

(Click here for a 1328X1996 version (without any of the artifacts that the forum's system created when downsizing the image))

Note the bits of dialogue that weren't included in the slideshow.

And an interesting thing about this page is that it depicts Willie and Nathan in the kitchen at the Old House, which is a room we never saw on the NBC series...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 01, 2019, 07:44:42 PM »
And here's the eighteenth page:

(Click here for a 1328X1996 version (without any of the artifacts that the forum's system created when downsizing the image))

Yet another page where it's about half and half when it comes to what made it into the slideshow and what didn't...

It's also interesting to learn how Vicki and David's relationship was progressing. Based on what we saw in the pilot, who would have ever thought that David would be drawing pictures of Vicki in a heart. But then you know what they say: there's a fine line between love and hate - apparently even when it comes to 10-year-olds.  [b003]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 01, 2019, 08:56:46 PM »
Another interesting thing - the last time we saw the entrance to the Old House, on Page 8 -

- it was still an overgrown mess, but apparently by the time Vicki and Willie are seen approaching the entrance on Page 18, it has all been cleared away. I guess those unseen workers Willie references on Page 8 were very busy because it doesn't seem like Willie would have found the time to do it considering he seems to be spending all his time with either Vicki or Nathan.  [b003]

(Of course, on the series, we actually saw a worker clearing debris in the second hour of the pilot, before any of the events in this comic take place - but apparently for all intents and purposes of the comic, we're supposed to assume he never finished.  [b003])

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 02, 2019, 02:16:00 AM »
You may have noticed a difference in today's graphic. That's because the capture was taken with my phone rather than scanned. Someone borrowed my scanner and I won't get it back until tomorrow, in which case tomorrow's graphics will also be from my phone.

Thankfully after some trial and error I was able to get usable captures (no traces of the phone's flash). But scanning the comic's pages is a lot easier. And I may even redo the first three graphics for June to see if they come out better as scans...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 03, 2019, 02:56:06 AM »
And here's the nineteenth page:

This page definitely helps to explain why Vicki is out in the woods. It's also one of the very few pages that has dialogue but none of that dialogue was chosen for the slideshow...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 03, 2019, 03:37:56 AM »
Here are comparisons of the phone versions of the graphics from Page 20 and the scanned versions:

Phone:
Scan:

Phone:
Scan:

In some way the phone versions are better - but in others the scan is better, especially because the graphic isn't skewed in any way...

(If you're not seeing different versions, you need to clear your browser's cache.  [ghost_wink])

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 03, 2019, 04:12:05 PM »
Here's the twentieth page:

Note there is one panel and one bit of dialogue that was skipped...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 03, 2019, 06:46:12 PM »
Here's the fourth page (page thirty) of the letters column:

More Book 1, Issue 4 comments - and a theory as to whose image Uncle Vincent might have been based on. However, you'll have to wait until the fifth page of the column to get some info about whose images were in the running to be used as Uncle Vincent and whose image he was ultimately based on...

Also, note that the images on this page are from Pages 19 & 20.

The images on the fifth page of the letters column are from Page 12, so, unlike how there was a gap of over a month between the posting of the third and fourth pages of the column, the fifth page will be showing up sooner rather than later...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 04, 2019, 01:16:01 AM »
And here'd the last phone versus scan graphic:

Phone:
Scan:

It may be the one that's the most different because some details don't even show up in the phone version...

(If you're not seeing different versions, you need to clear your browser's cache.  [ghost_wink])

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 04, 2019, 01:51:47 AM »
Humphrey Allen Astredo????
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 06, 2019, 04:12:58 PM »
Even though they set up the trip to the lab as going somewhere to discuss Barnabas' treatment, quite obviously the real reason is to show vampire mice and to have Barn attack and kill the cleaning lady.  [snow_rolleyes]  Julia and Barn will, however, have their discussion of his treatment down the road in this issue, and in a location that's always made perfect sense in every version of DS, so it only calls more attention to how needless an excursion going to the lab is. And what's interesting is that, unless I'm forgetting, I don't think they ever go back to that lab.

Well, given today's graphic -

Book Two/Issue Two/Page 21 - Julia's Journal: 'WORK
WITH THE MICE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN EVER.
WHAT IF I HAD ACTUALLY APPLIED THE MEDICATION
TO BARNABAS THAT I WAS USING ON THIS ANIMAL?'

- obviously we do see the lab again. Though technically, because Book 2 takes place at a time earlier than Book 1, we're not seeing it at a point after the events depicted in Book 1.  [ghost_wink]  [ghost_grin]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 07, 2019, 07:36:05 PM »
Something I forget to post about last week when I posted Page 18 - and maybe it's just me - but why the alternate spelling, jeez vs. geez, in Willie's dialogue?

Both spellings mean the same thing - though, considering it's meant as a potentially less offensive alternative to saying "Jesus," most often one sees it spelled with the "j". And no doubt that's why at least 90% of the time that's the way it's spelled in the comics, even when it's not Willie saying it. And considering the same calligrapher, Vickie Williams, does all the dialogue for the comics, one would presume she would follow a standard spelling throughout. But what's most odd is not only did she use alternate spellings on the same page, she used them in consecutive panels.  [ghost_huh]

I suppose only Willie or Vickie Williams knows the real reason why...

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 07, 2019, 02:18:44 PM »
Another thing that an editor should have caught.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 09, 2019, 09:36:12 AM »
Here's the twenty-first page:

Note there is one panel and a few bits of dialogue that were skipped...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 10, 2019, 07:26:28 PM »
Here's the fifth (the last) page (page thirty-one) of the letters column:

Who knew that both Louis Edmonds and Jonathan Frid turned down having their likenesses used for Uncle Vincent  - or that E Silas Smith decided to base the likeness on himself?

It's interesting that they claim just because they got something from DCP, it's official canon. Yes, Mrs. Johnson's first name is Sarah on the original series, and that's definitely canon within it. But her first name is never mentioned on the '91 Series, so it's not a complete certainty Sarah is her name within it. In fact, in the character list for the pilot script and in all her scenes she's simply listed as Mrs. Johnson.

Similarly, just because the Collinwood Estate map was "thoroughly reviewed and corrected by several DS fan experts and by the folks at Dan Curtis Productions" that doesn't mean there's no possibility for error, as was pointed out in reply #182 on page 13 of the "Boardindex Page Montage/aka 'Book 1'?" topic when errors were pointed out in the map.

But as we all know anything DS wouldn't be DS without some sort of errors...

And I guess having already been caught a few times announcing release dates that didn't pan out, notice that they didn't give a release for Book 2, Issue 3...