Author Topic: Denise Nickerson -- Prayers and support needed  (Read 10375 times)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Denise Nickerson -- Prayers and support needed
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2018, 04:03:54 AM »
I've been following Denise's care on the facebook site as well.  I'm not a facebooker, but her children have made it public so I don't have to join it.  I'm grateful they are on the backs of the care-givers.  She deserves the best and they have to fight tooth and claw for it.  Not to open a can of worms, but if you don't have the $$$, you get steerage treatment.

Gerard

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2018, 08:11:28 AM »
The news on her condition certainly sounds encouraging - nice to see she's up to speech therapy.  While the rest is sad, it's good that she has family there to fight for her - such a shame that that's necessary.
Josette

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2018, 04:26:11 PM »
Since folks can follow Jasmine's reports on Facebook without having to have a profile on the site, I'll stop posting updates now.

Thank you all for your prayers/good thoughts for Denise and her family.

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2018, 04:40:46 PM »
Actually, Gothick, if you don't mind I know I would appreciate it if you still kept posting updates because not everyone has the time or the inclination to check Facebook directly...

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2018, 05:46:04 PM »
I'm not entirely sure that they grasp what a rehab facility actually is. I was in one for a month after the surgery on my Achilles tendon. Rehabilitation facilities here are not specifically doing rehab only. They are convalescent/rest homes, with a certain amount of availability for rehab patients. Because I had good insurance, I was able to choose from a number of places in my area. Those without insurance go where they are sent.
And, like a lot of health care facilities, they are likely understaffed.
(No idea whether any of this pertains to Denise but this was my experience.)
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2018, 06:01:09 PM »
Given that the family is soliciting online for donations to go toward Denise's care, chances are she doesn't have the best insurance. (Though it's also possible that she has insurance with a high deductible.)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2018, 09:56:56 PM »
OK, I will continue to post here when I do see an update.

Jasmine shared the family's perception that only 5 of the 20 people assigned to Denise's care are actively helping her. I think the difficulties include staffing issues at the center, as well as the fact that Denise is not always sufficiently lucid to understand her own best interests much of the time--though it would seem that she is starting to get better. They mentioned difficulties getting Denise to accept food, water, and medication. This is a familiar problem for people providing care to patients recovering from this kind of event, unfortunately.

Let's hope the good news outweighs the bad in the next update.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2018, 10:05:00 PM »
Thank you, Gothick.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2018, 12:31:13 AM »
Denise is not always sufficiently lucid to understand her own best interests much of the time--though it would seem that she is starting to get better. They mentioned difficulties getting Denise to accept food, water, and medication. This is a familiar problem for people providing care to patients recovering from this kind of event, unfortunately.

So very correct.  At times, because of strokes when the brain is "scrambled," patients suffer (hopefully temporarily as the brain tries to "repair" itself") from dementia, causing confusion, fright, delirium and even paranoia.  My mom suffered and died from dementia (Lewy's Body Disease) and she experienced all of those symptoms.  It was the worst when "sundown syndrome" hit.  Fortunately and hopefully, Denise's brain will heal and the symptoms will begin to subside and eventually vanish. 

Strokes are tricky things in a huge spectrum.  My dad caught what he thought was the flu and most of it eventually vanished except for constantly feeling fatigued and it wouldn't go away.  One day, my mom noticed one side of his face looked different from the other - it was very subtle and it took my dad a long time staring in a mirror to agree.  He called his doctor.  He told my dad to get to the hospital now.  So my dad did - of course, he drove.  Turns out it was a stroke, albeit a mild one.  He was kept in observation for a week in the stroke unit until he got cleared to go home.  He spent the time, every night, playing poker and Sheepshead with the other patients.  He asked the doctor why he had a stroke.  The doctor replied:  "Because you're old."  My dad then inquired if he could have another one.  His physician responded:  "Maybe tomorrow, maybe never again."  My dad lived for ten more years.

Gerard

Offline Barnababy

• Junior Poster
  • Batty for Collinwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2018, 06:31:10 AM »
My dad suffered three strokes.  Sorry about your mom!

Offline Barnababy

• Junior Poster
  • Batty for Collinwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2018, 06:34:45 AM »
In hopes of being of help, I have contacted everyone in my family of whom I can think with medical or legal expertise or ties to Colorado.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2018, 07:18:56 PM »
A short update from last Wednesday:

She had a shower and did pieces of therapy. She walked around, got herself dressed, and is moving her right arm independently more. She's still really mad and being obstinate. (end)

Best wishes,

G.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2018, 02:40:57 AM »
Her being "really mad and obstinate" might be a sign of her recovery and her brain healing herself.  Imagine if one knows everything on the "inside" but can't do it all totally on the "outside."  She might be fighting against what happened to her.  If that's the case, you go, girl!

Gerard

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2018, 06:38:26 AM »
Wow - very encouraging - after the initial report I was wondering about survival, let alone being able to do these activities so soon.
Josette

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2018, 01:27:46 AM »
Praying for Denise and her family God is with her every step of the way she continues
To improve and not give up .
Love Anne
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow