Author Topic: Lost in Space Reboot: Netflix Sets Premiere Date, Unveils First Teaser  (Read 3075 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Lost in Space Reboot: Netflix Sets Premiere Date, Unveils First Teaser

All too brief glimpses - but it looks like it has potential...

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Lost in Space Reboot: Netflix Sets Premiere Date, Unveils First Teaser
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 02:15:47 AM »
Looks a little too serious to me.  Even the 1998 movie had some camp to it.   [snow_grin]

But since I haven't seen this new series, I guess I should not judge so quickly.

Online Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 02:43:32 AM »
It's interesting that the original series was not initially devised to have any camp.  The first pilot did not even contain Dr. Smith or the robot.  But the execs at CBS felt it needed some "fleshing out" so the cast and crew returned to shoot scenes that contained Smith and the robot.  The pilot, with the added scenes, was spread out over four episodes.  Smith would be the antagonist, a cold, murderous man who had no problem with killing even Penny and Will.  And that's how Jonathan Harris performed the role.  The intent was to have him attempt his nefarious ways for several episodes to create angst among the family and "fleshing out" their characters and then be killed off.  But Mr. Harris was receiving a very high salary for his initially temporary performances (more than any other of the cast) and knew on what side his bread was buttered.  He tempered his role, knowing it was a serious but family-centered TV show, wanting to appeal to children.  The camp started, parents approved of allowing their kids to watch (it's not a good thing to let kids watch a show where a villain attempts to murder children), and it went off in another direction.

One of the best episodes, early in the series, was "Invaders from the Fifth Dimension."  Aliens land their creepy ship on the planet, needing to repair their computerized system and the only thing that will do that is a human brain.  They capture Smith but state his brain is too physically large so they would shrink it.  Of course, he's not in favor of that so he convinces them he can deliver a brain of the right "size."  He tries first with Penny, trying to convince her to come with him, coming off in his brilliant performance as some deranged pedophile.  When that doesn't work, he tricks Will to come with him, basically abducting him, and delivers the child to the cold-hearted aliens.  He didn't care what horrible things would happen to the boy.  It was a truly creepy, classy, eerie and elegant episode, a far cry from "The Great Vegetable Rebellion." 

So maybe this remake is returning to the original intent of the show, as a serious Sci-Fi adventure series.  And it's interesting to note that this time Dr. Smith is a woman.

Gerard

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 03:18:07 AM »
I didn't really care for the trailer. I also don't see the point of remaking shows such as LOST IN SPACE or THE MUNSTERS. They were artifacts of a particular time and place and thank the gods, we still have the originals. Television has moved in several different directions since the 1960s. Series such as AMERICAN GODS, LUCIFER, STRANGER THINGS and VIKINGS have shown what good television can do and what imaginative storytelling can tell us.

Of course, I mostly watch shows from the Sixties and the Seventies. I was thrilled a few weeks ago to find the 8 disc box set of Brian Clemens series THRILLER (many of the shows ran on the ABC WIDE WORLD OF MYSTERY slot in the mid 70s) and I look forward to watching more of those this weekend.  I've been away most of the past 3 weeks and had no time at all for TV.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 03:40:18 AM »
As a kid (9 through 12) I loved LIS and was sad when it went off (though I have to confess that by then I had become a bigger fan of DS, and obviously things have stayed that way because I'm not an admin of a LIS fan site but a DS one  [snow_wink]). I loved Dr. Smith, Will and the robot, but even back then I'd sometimes wished some of the eps hadn't been so silly. Revisiting the show as an adult, I was really surprised by how really silly some eps are - I mean, whoever wrote The Great Vegetable Rebellion should have had their Writers Guild credentials revoked!! Though we can blame the introduction of such silliness on the CBS execs who wanted LIS to be able to compete with the silliness of Batman when Batman was on opposite LIS.

On the other hand, one of the humorous aspects of LIS that I still love to this day is how Dr. Smith often threw barbs at Don and especially the robot. And if the new show decides to retain that part of Dr. Smith, I'll be very happy. And I have to confess that one of the reasons I'm really looking forward to the reboot is because Toby Stevens is in it. I've been a fan of his ever since I saw him in several PBS projects, and he was amazing in Starz' Black Sails.

Online Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 07:04:31 PM »
If I have my LIS history right, "The Great Vegetable Rebellion" was the final episode filmed (although it aired second-to-last; the appropriately titled "Junkyard of Space" was the final one seen).  The cast was mortified by TGVR and I read somewhere that some even initially threatened not to appear in it.  But all capitulated even though they found it difficult to film.  If one watches closely, one will see at one point Mark Goddard having to turn away and cover his mouth because he couldn't stop laughing.

By the end of the second season, most of the cast were sick and tired of every episode being an adventures of Will, Dr. Smith and the robot story with the rest being relegated to the back.  And who got how much cash remained a sore spot.  Jonathan Harris was constantly billed "Special Guest Star" which meant he got a larger per-episode paycheck than the rest of the cast who were under salary.  So, for the third season the execs decided to raise the pay a little higher and feature the cast members more prominently as the main focus, although Dr. Smith was usually the one who got them into trouble.  Word came out there would be fourth season; new plots were already being written.  The cast was ready to return.  But then, at the last moment, it was announced that it was all over.  Many in the cast were able to find other work.  June Lockhart went on to Petticoat Junction; Angela Cartwright returned to the reboot of The Danny Thomas Show.

I also grew up a major fan of both LIS and DS, never missing an episode of both.  Being a give-or-take ten-year-old, I still relished the super-silly episodes of LIS.  I had the toy robot, the toy raygun set (both quickly broke and ended up on a closet shelf) and a lunchbox (I came home for lunch, so I used it for other things).

Gerard

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 04:48:40 PM »
I personally enjoy the Great Vegetable Rebellion. It's so fanciful and I particularly love the scenes where Dr Smith is being turned into a celery stalk and recites the most absurd dialogue with his usual scenery-chewing verve.

Mark Goddard has said several times in interviews that he could only get through the scenes with Mr. Carrot by NOT looking at Stanley Adams. It's only noticeable in one scene, as I recall. I was amazed at how exquisite the score composed for the episode was. The composer wrote in the style of French impressionism--Debussy and Ravel, and it was very effective and otherworldly.

I personally found the episode about the Hippie Planet where Smith was frugging in a mod go-go wig wearing an absurd medallion like something Hugh Hefner would have sported on "Playboy after dark" to be more ridiculous. But I still love watching it.

All that to one side, the first season of LOST IN SPACE is on a completely different plane with that beautiful black and white photography. And some genuinely terrifying moments.

Back in 2015, a "Blu Ray" set of this series was issued where the same thing was done as happened to the 1991 DS, with tops and bottoms of the frame being cut off to fit today's preferred 16 x 9 screens. I read in a couple of reviews, however, that the original "full screen" versions of the shows were included. The same thing was done with the 1960s Star Trek 'blu ray" set, where they presented both the CGI "enhanced" versions of the shows alongside the original versions with the original 1960s model shots, paintings, etc. (I own the mid 2000s Trek DVD sets in the tricorder boxes--these were done from the original prints of the shows.)

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 07:01:47 PM »
Mark Goddard has said several times in interviews that he could only get through the scenes with Mr. Carrot by NOT looking at Stanley Adams.

With regards to the ep, He also cursed, "I went to Julliard for THIS?!"  [b003]

I personally found the episode about the Hippie Planet where Smith was frugging in a mod go-go wig wearing an absurd medallion like something Hugh Hefner would have sported on "Playboy after dark" to be more ridiculous.

Perhaps I'm more forgiving of that one because it actually gives Angela Cartwright something to do besides having Penny help her mother with dinner or work in the hydroponic garden.  ::)

All that to one side, the first season of LOST IN SPACE is on a completely different plane with that beautiful black and white photography. And some genuinely terrifying moments.

Yes, the first season is definitely the best. Damn that CBS exec and Batman!!

Back in 2015, a "Blu Ray" set of this series was issued where the same thing was done as happened to the 1991 DS, with tops and bottoms of the frame being cut off to fit today's preferred 16 x 9 screens. I read in a couple of reviews, however, that the original "full screen" versions of the shows were included.

If only the same had been done with the '91 Series!! Though I would have wanted them to have transferred the correctly color timed 4X3 versions, NOT versions that were incorrectly color timed, like the 16X9 versions the set ended up with...

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 07:46:33 PM »
Anyone else remember Mark Goddard as the nefarious Ted Clayton on OLTL? Or that the character made his exit from the show in drag?
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 09:53:03 PM »
I remember he was on OLTL but it's odd that I don't remember that Clayton made his exit from the show in drag.  I wonder if I could have missed that ep?

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 10:39:14 PM »
He was the second Ted Clayton and he played the part longer than the original actor. I missed his exodus, though I was told about it. That particular scene doesn't appear to be on YouTube.
Fade Away and Radiate

Online Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 02:03:44 AM »
An ultimate irony is that, even though Penny was more prominently featured in the hipster planet episode ("The Promised Planet"), Angela Cartwright stated it was her worst one.  Even though a teenager (she was 16-or-so when it was filmed), she absolutely loathed rock-and-roll music.  She had never danced to it, and in the scenes where she had to do a "groovy" dance on a pool table, she didn't have a clue on how to move and somehow just had to come up with it.

I loved the third season episode "Visit to a Hostile Planet" where the family returns to Earth and land in a small town in the upper peninsula of Michigan only to discover it's 1947.  Even though it was still pretty much a Will/Smith/robot adventure, more of it was spread around to the other cast.  And then there was "The Anti-Matter Man" where Guy Williams got to shine, playing not only Dr. John Robinson, but his own evil self who crossed over from a parallel dimension, imprisoning his "normal time" self and ingratiating himself into the family.

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 11:08:13 PM »
Angela Cartwright stated it was her worst one.  Even though a teenager (she was 16-or-so when it was filmed), she absolutely loathed rock-and-roll music.  She had never danced to it, and in the scenes where she had to do a "groovy" dance on a pool table, she didn't have a clue on how to move and somehow just had to come up with it.

She was being way too hard on herself because as I recall she did a good job with the dancing.

playing not only Dr. John Robinson, but his own evil self who crossed over from a parallel dimension

Having possibly seen that LIS ep as well as maybe the Star Trek ep Mirror, Mirror is probably why many DS fans had no problem accepting a parallel 1970 and 1841 when DS did those storylines. I know it's why I instantly knew what they were doing...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 11:11:28 PM »
There's a trailer now. I still do not really care for it.  But I'm most definitely not the audience this is aimed at. I have not a clue whether this will be a big hit or just another blip of space dust.

http://ew.com/tv/2018/03/06/netflix-lost-in-space-trailer/

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 11:12:50 PM »
Lost in Space Trailer Warns of 'Danger' for Will Robinson, Dr. Smith's Agenda

OK - now I'm even more intrigued. The tone definitely seems to be close to the 1st season of the original...