Author Topic: Favorite Dark Shadows special effect  (Read 3923 times)

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Dark Shadows special effect
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2005, 10:37:23 AM »
My fave special effect on DS is the window in the Blue Whale - the wave shadows. Man, it doesn't get much better than that.

Janet
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2005, 11:50:16 AM »
Add another vote for Josette's ghost walking out of the portrait.  Also, close for me in how it was executed, the scene in which [spoiler]Alexis touches Angeliquie's dead body in the coffin, bringing it to life, and the two have their momentary nice, little chat - both characters visible in rather well done split screen.[/spoiler]

Gerard

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2005, 06:28:46 PM »
I agree Gerald.  I was going to write that it, but, you beat me to it.   [b054]

Oh well, it got across.

The first time I saw it I was 13, and it sorta scared me.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2005, 12:12:46 AM »
Josette stepping from the portrait was outstanding. I also liked the witch "burning". I believe this happened more than once. I was amazed to see the fire in her eyes, mouth, etc. Today's special effects are indeed awesome. I've also found that in many movies now there are breathtaking special effects and little storyline. At least DS had a reasonably interesting story (mostly!) accompanying the effects.

Misty ::)
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline jeffreywj777

• Junior Poster
  • A Story of Blood Relations.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2005, 10:04:07 PM »
I don't think this would qualify as the best special effect on DS, but I consider my most memorable effect. At the conclusion of the episode where Jerimiah dies from the duel with Barnabas, his ghost appears in Josette's room. She turns and begins to call to him, only to have him turn and disappear right in front of her. Even after all these years I still get goose pimples when thinking of it.

Jeff
Jeffrey

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2005, 10:35:06 PM »
  Some of my favorite effects were among the most simple. The show made good use of people simply fading away, such as Barnabas escaping Trask or Tom Jennings ghost evaporating into the sunrise. Basically just phasing on the bluescreen. Actually, one of my favorite bits, they did a couple pf times with Angelique as well as with Beth's ghost  [ghost] was simply having someone fade in without the bluescreen by just having them in a blacked out area then soft green lspotlight bringing the character in. It feels supernatural.

One other cool and creepy use of blue/split screen was the Romeo and Juliet like corpses in the 1841 PT story.

One of the worst effects was having Audrey's presence sort of disappear when Barnabas wakes from his Leviathan induced dream and Marsha Mason's arm is still sticking out from behind the Old House curtains!

Michael

"Son, one day all this will be yours!" King of Swamp Castle
"Wot, the curtains?" Prince 'Erbert

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline AndreDuPres

• Full Poster
  • I don't know, Barnabas. I just don't know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2005, 12:08:32 AM »
I really like Jeremiah's ghost as well, especially in that scene in which Barnabas has left the master bedroom at the Old House, and Angelique is screaming after him only to be surprised and horrified when the doors suddenly slam open and the ghost appears.  My favourite special effect, though, is the Shadow Angelique casts on Jeb.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2005, 01:44:31 AM »
Glad this post is back up, I was going to look for it.  During the 4th of July good movies/marathons, I thought of this topic.

First, a specific ep of Twilight Zone (but of course, I can't now remember which one!!), which is approx. 5 yrs before DS; then, watching Jaws, which is approx. 4-5 yrs  after DS.

I think that they were both close, with the noticeable exception:

DS was a daily....grind/grind/grind, where as TZ was weekly (and had what about 12-20 wks off between seasons); Jaws was a large budget flick.

Interesting though, I always think special effects BEFORE CAD are soooo much better.

Patti

[Edited by Midnite]
What a Woman!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2005, 01:57:37 AM »
While "Twilight Zone" frequently used masks and make-up to create the sense of other-worldly experiences, they rarely resorted to anything that could be called a "special effect".  Stopping the camera while someone walked into or out of the shot, to create the effect of appearing or disappearing, hardly constitutes a "special effect", does it?
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2005, 10:04:17 AM »
Blue-screen wasn't groundbreaking then-- it was the one effect everybody used.

Sometimes make-up and props are counted as "effects", so I'll point out that Barnabas's old-age mask was the best old-age make-up or mask I've ever seen, ever.   I also loved Petofi's hand.  That gruesome bone sticking out the end was pretty daring, and left a lifelong impression on me as a kid.   I waited 30 years to see that again.

"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2005, 01:44:19 AM »
I also loved the "Hand of Count Petofi", and I thought that the "Old" makeup and appliances they use to make Barnabas old were great on the show, they were better on the show than what they used on the movie.

Misa

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2005, 02:01:38 AM »
artist07, I love the picture you have as your avatar. Did you draw it?

Misa :)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2005, 02:02:53 AM »
The "Hand of Count Petofi" was an excellent special effect.....very creepy and weird.
On the other hand (no pun intended) Angelique's "claw" was among the funniest things ever on DS.  My daughter stills howls with laughter at the mere mention of it.
Now watch....someone will inform me that they're actually the same appendage.... ::)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline wes

• THIS SPACE FOR RENT
  • Junior Poster
  • My Journey is Beginning
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2005, 03:37:47 AM »
My favorite SE was when Barnabas changed from bat to human before attacking Suki Forbes.

My favorite regular SE was the ever changing PT room.

My favorite SE prop was (I agree) the Boxed Hand of Count Petofi; but, I didn't like when it "floated" around the room and grew bigger.  I didn't like the "hopping" Ghost of Trask, either.

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2005, 12:26:33 AM »
Hopping Ghost? I missed this. Was this in the 1968 period when Trask's ghost excersizes Angelique? Please give me a detailed picture of what this looked like, as it sounds really funny.

Misa