Author Topic: Beth  (Read 3715 times)

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
Re: Beth
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2005, 05:49:24 AM »
Pansity - I just adore the scene you mentioned with Quentin and Pansy at the end of the storyline. I found it to be one of the most genuine, heartfelt scenes on the show. It just clicked with me. Such a great moment between those characters.

As far as Quentin and Angelique....I just think that if Beth was out of the picture, the two of them would've been more fun than Quentin & Amanda. I don't know, I just think they had that something. It was also refreshing to see Angelique interested in someone other than Barnabas. I'm a Quentin/Beth fan first, but I think Quentin and Angelique together would've been interesting.

ARRGH  I had just typed a long lovely reply to this and to Misa;s post and silly me didnt log in for long enough andtimed out.  Lost the whole thing of course.  GRRRR/.

Anyway let me try reconstructing this.  The Quentin Pansy scene was wonderful --- no pretenses, no hiding behind the cynicism and sarcasm, just two very wounded people wishing they could live like everyone else.  I dont think he actually LOVES her at that point, except as a friend, but she loves him and is the kind of protector and support that Beth was.  Quentin reminds me a bit of Ashley Wilkes at times -- a not very strong man protected by the women in his life.  Course the rest of the time he;s Rhett Butler, but hey....

Angelique had a nice chemistry with Quentin= part of that was probably the fact that they were so alike.  Self absorbed, somewhat selfish and due to that they had both left a wide swath of destruction behind them.  They were both growing up a bit.  I have seen some really good fanfiction based on their pairing.

Sorry Misa, I will have to try and reconstruct my post to you tomorrow when the brain is not so fried.

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2005, 07:47:52 AM »
Thanks for reminding me of that "have to get a man to fall in love with her, or go to hell, deal" PennyDreadful. I had forgotten about that. But I thought that it was pretty lame anyway. Why would the Devil want her to get a man to fall in love with her, and why would that have been that difficult for her? I remember that the Devil didn't like Nicolas falling in love, and Angelique was in love with Barnabas. But why turn to Quentin? He didn't seem to be in love with her either. Seems she should have found someone else Quentin was acting just like Barnabas towards her. Maybe she would have had better luck with Edward, or Trask even (YUCKY!). If it wasn't important that she love the guy, only that he love her, she should have been able to find someone.

Misa

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2005, 05:04:00 PM »
ARRGH  I had just typed a long lovely reply to this and to Misa;s post and silly me didnt log in for long enough andtimed out.  Lost the whole thing of course.  GRRRR/.

Did you try using your back button?  Most browsers will return to the previous page where your reply is intact in the history stacks.  Though you can't post from there, you can copy your response (highlight it, Control+C or Edit/Copy) and paste it after logging in again.

To prevent session length timeouts in the future, click "login" where it says "Please login or register" at the top.  Then make sure the box is checked next to "Always stay logged in."

Hope that helped.  :)

Offline Ian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2005, 05:39:20 PM »
To prevent session length timeouts in the future, click "login" where it says "Please login or register" at the top.  Then make sure the box is checked next to "Always stay logged in."

However, you will be logged out when you clear your Temporary Internet Files. ;)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2005, 10:59:17 PM »
However, you will be logged out when you clear your Temporary Internet Files.

Actually, to clarify just a bit, simply using the "Delete Files..." (in IE) or "Clear Cache" (or something similar in other browsers) button to clear out the temporary files stored in a browser's cache won't cause any login or timeout problems. Only clearing cookies with the "Delete Cookies..." (in IE) or "Clean Cookies" (or something similar in other browsers) button will require a member to log back in because all their login info is stored in the forum's cookie.  ;)

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2005, 02:09:31 AM »
Did you try using your back button?  Most browsers will return to the previous page where your reply is intact in the history stacks.  Though you can't post from there, you can copy your response (highlight it, Control+C or Edit/Copy) and paste it after logging in again.

Thanks for the suggestions, Midnite.  I did try that stuff, only to find on backspace IE had the page expired mssg.  My own fault as I said.  I ws multitasking, and prob took too long to draft the mssg as well as being absent minded and not logging in "forever" as I usually do.  Hit the key too fast and went in on the default.  Didnt think.  "Brain and brain what is brain".

I just have to remember to be more careful in the future.  Thanks again everyone: MB, Midnite and Ian who have been giving helpful suggestions.

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2005, 02:25:47 AM »
... But why turn to Quentin? He didn't seem to be in love with her either. Seems she should have found someone else Quentin was acting just like Barnabas towards her....

hmm.  My take on this for what it's worth, is that he was there, he was cute and he was quite eager for a little slap and tickle, at least when he first approached her. NOT any kind of committment.  Her big mistake, I think was to try and make it an ultimatum.  It put his back up, and also at that point in the storyline, he had genuine feelings for Beth.  What some take as him NOT being too attached to Beth, that is him chasing her away. I interpret as his concern for her because he DOES now care.  He keeps trying to chase her away, tells her she has no future with him.  Some of the ugly things he says, like bluntly telling her -- I forget the line -- will look good on her tombstone, really seem ways to get her away from him before he injures or kills her.

Back to Angelique.  He genuinely cares for Beth, wouldnt mind a one night stand with Angie, but marrying her when he wants to marry beth was NOT in his plans.  I think its too much like what they infer happened with him and Laura.  IF we can judge by the way DIRK was when he was under Laura;'s thrall, Quentin had precious little choice in the matter once it passed a certain point  - no matter HOW willing he may have been to step out on Jenny with Laura or anything else in a skirt.  And wouldn't he feel used after the spell wore off, which would explain his abrasiveness and sudden hate for the Laura that he ran off with and jeopardized his whole future -- and inheritance -- for.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2005, 02:46:57 AM »
...The other thing that I didn't like was the way Carl dies; Quentin has grown a lot as a person by this time, why would he just lock poor Carl up with Barnabas to be killed? (This murder really made my younger brother so angry at Barnabas and Quentin, Carl was his favorite character on the show; he even named his teddy bear after him). If they wanted to expose Barnabas, and needed to write Carl out, they could have done it in a better way. How did Barnabas know that Carl's death wouldn't change history? I'd have preferred that they have Trask kill Carl if they wanted to kill him, everyone hated Trask anyway, or have him leave town.....

Going to try and reconstruct the part of last night's post about Quentin and Carl.  That scene in the mausoleum is, weirdly enough a favorite of mine.  Its what pushed me from timeshifting every day because I had accidentally caught DS from the beginning, to keeping every tape instead of taping over them.  The acting in that scene grabbed me and shook me.  The actors just flew when they did it.  Karlen's Carl was horrified and terrified and could NOT understand what was wrong with Quentin.  Quentin on the other hand was like a man living his worst nightmare. Since he was still quite a coward, not to mention self serving at that stage of the storyline, he was terrified.  YOu can see how he is torn  -- its like he is watching himself from the outside for part of it, and that scene where he is against the wall listening to Carl's screams. Marvelous acting on Selby's part.  You can see the reluctance and self loathing, but Quentin is still to much of a coward NOT to do it.

Interstingly, contrast this with later in the storyline, after he has matured and gained more empathy.  Petofi forces him to go to stake Barnabas.  He has the portrait, points out that he (Petofi) can detroy it or use it to make him transform at any time or place.  Forget if he makes other threats or what they are.  He goes to stake Barn as reluctantly as he locks Carl in.  But that time, he has more MORAL courage.  In the final analysis he CANNOT do it, no matter what the consequences to himself.  And if you think about it, how much of that decision was made by the guilt over Carl's death?

As to the plausibility of him betraying his own brother to save his own skin?  Its the last lifeboat scenario.  People can  -- and do -- do pretty ugly things in the name of survival.  Ask any concentration camp survivor.  Not to mention the cases of women with small babies when in hiding from some vicious enemy, nave been documented to smother their own children rather than risk the survival of the group.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2005, 05:02:45 AM »

As fond as I truly was of the Carl character, part of me kind of liked that Barnabas did that.  It showed that Barnabas was still quite dangerous and unpredictable.  Barnabas is sometimes perceived as a "hero" post-1967, when in fact, he was far from being one.  Quentin too.  Never trust a Collins.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com