Author Topic: At Barnabas' Arrival - His Influence on Willie and Maggie - Similar Dichotomy  (Read 1947 times)

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
I find it interesting that Willie and Maggie were BOTH turned into totally different people - with opposite personalities!  [batang] Willie went from being an abnoxious troublemaker who didn't care about anyone but himself to a meek and mild-mannered, remouseful victim who DID care about others. Maggie went from being a self-assured, caring, friendly, cooperative, and mostly happy woman to a BITCHY, mean, uncaring, and unhappy woman who just wanted to be left alone. Put in simple terms, the obvious point here is that Willie went from bad to good, and Maggie went from good to bad.  [batang]  As Mr. Spock would say, "Fascinating!"  [gring]

----- Sally -----

[coolg]  8)
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline TNickey2003

• Full Poster
    • View Profile

That is fascinating. Only I don't remember Maggie ever becoming "bitchy, mean, uncaring, and unhappy". When did that happen, and in what episodes and storylines? Doesn't sound like the Maggie I know. [hall_huh]
Alex adores Maggie Evans

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I don't remember Maggie ever becoming "bitchy, mean, uncaring, and unhappy". When did that happen, and in what episodes and storylines? Doesn't sound like the Maggie I know. [hall_huh]

It happens when Barnabas first begins to feed on Maggie.  She becomes quite cranky and short-tempered with Sam, Joe, and Vicki, who are all merely looking out for Maggie's best interests.  In one memorable scene from Episode 232, she instigates a big argument with Joe, throws him out of the cottage, and nearly breaks up with him.  It was quite a personality reversal from the Maggie we usually see.

ProfStokes

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
It was quite a personality reversal from the Maggie we usually see.
And they miraculously got through this part of the story without anyone mentioning PMS.  [hall2_grin]

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline TNickey2003

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
It happens when Barnabas first begins to feed on Maggie.  She becomes quite cranky and short-tempered with Sam, Joe, and Vicki, who are all merely looking out for Maggie's best interests.  In one memorable scene from Episode 232, she instigates a big argument with Joe, throws him out of the cottage, and nearly breaks up with him.  It was quite a personality reversal from the Maggie we usually see.

But that was only temporary while Maggie was a vampire victim of Barnabas Collins. She became cranky only while she was suffering the effects of Barnabas' vampire attack and spell over he. Once she was no longer a victim of Barnabas Collins, and her memory of those events erased by the "eminent Dr. Hoffman", she was back to being her amiable self, and in Episode 497 when she realized Willie had only come to her house that night to warn her of danger rather than harm her, she was as kind to him as to everyone else.

Remember also that when Carolyn was a vampire victim of Barnabas, she also became uncharacteristically callous (see Episode 355, where Carolyn responds rather coldly to the news of Burke's death and Vicki's loss,  leaving Maggie appalled at her unusual behavior).

And when Joe Haskell becomes Angelique's vampire victim around Episode 560, he starts behaving bizarre and yelling at Maggie, at one point getting rough with her physically when she tries to stop him from leaving the cottage, after he had begged her to lock all the doors and not let him out of her sight.
Alex adores Maggie Evans

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Well, I guess Willie was the anomaly here, since he was turned into a totally different person after Barnabas' fangs met his arm - and IT TOOK!!  [hall2_shocked] He was forever changed, even after Barnabas was no longer a vampire.  [hall2_wink] The other people mentioned in this thread - and many others -  became their usual selves once the vampire influence was over.   [hall2_smiley]

----- Sally -----
[/size][hall_cool] [hall2_cool][coolg]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
I think that Willie had a reason to change though, he felt guilty. He release Barnabas, so he felt responsible for everything that Barnabas did. I also think that some of his personality before Barnabas bit him was a self defense act. He was probably a more caring person than he wanted people to know.

Then after he released a vampire, who tried to steal a young girls identity and life, he had to deal with his feelings of horror and his lack of ability to help her. This would be a life changing experience.

Misa

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
 Willie was completely humbled by the unfathomable horror he experienced.  Willie thought he was a bad-ass, but when he got a dose of what real bad was, he changed as a person.  Although, we do see a little bit of his nasty side again during the Adam storyline.   In the long run, Willie was pretty lucky to be alive after everything he went through.   
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
I didn't care for the way the writers had Willie taunting Adam, it was just so Igor like. It was also not very interesting, and didn't seem in character. They should have kept Willie the way he had become. I did like that he was protective of Maggie though.

I didn't see that much of this storyline, so I'll need to see it in order to have a more insightful opinion.

Misa

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Once again I have to wonder how much of that portrayal was JK's own input.  There are parts of it that are so "slapstick" they practically call his name.  Can anyone really imagine the writers coming up with the "chicken leg" bit?

The whole point of Willie's return was to care for Adam.  The incident with the rifle was to establish that Willie had come home crazier than he was when they sent him away.  He was supposed to have changed.  Letting Karlen improvise his behaviour seems  like exactly the sort of lee-way they might have granted him. 
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
While they were both appearing on a panel together, someone once asked Diana Millay if her extremely funny scene in 1897 when she's recounting Laura's "death" in Egypt while Quentin writhes in agony and John Karlen if that scene with the chicken leg was scripted or if any parts of them were ad-libbed and both replied that it was all on the page.  [hall2_smiley]

Of course, that's not to say that some things on the show weren't ad-libbed - but in the case of those two scenes, they weren't.  [hall2_wink]

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
..... and John Karlen if that scene with the chicken leg was scripted or if any parts of them were ad-libbed and both replied that it was all on the page.  [hall2_smiley]

Of course, that's not to say that some things on the show weren't ad-libbed - but in the case of those two scenes, they weren't.  [hall2_wink]

Really?!.......I stand corrected.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
The whole point of Willie's return was to care for Adam.  The incident with the rifle was to establish that Willie had come home crazier than he was when they sent him away.  He was supposed to have changed. 

After being enslaved by a vampire, beaten with a cane, made to drain cattle, help kidnap and brainwash someone he loved, shot several times and put in a mental institution run by someone with dubious medical ethics,  I think he is entitled to be a little buggy.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
I didn't care for the way the writers had Willie taunting Adam, it was just so Igor like. It was also not very interesting, and didn't seem in character. They should have kept Willie the way he had become.

I think you mean Fritz, who got a kick out of tormenting the monster (a creature more wretched than himself) and eventually paid for it.  In both Frankenstein sequels, the mad Ygor treated the monster as a friend.

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Oh, sorry I got them mixed up. Thanks Midnite, for letting me know.

Misa