Author Topic: vampire fashion  (Read 2593 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
vampire fashion
« on: June 13, 2005, 08:19:10 PM »
last night i caught an episode of "CSI".part of the plot took place amongst a group pf people who fancied themselves "vampires".they all had the same rather distinctive look.

we've all seen it.dyed black hair...black lipstick...black nail polish...black cloths.tatoos.vaguely gothic-inspired dinky-do silver jewelry and little vials of blood.people who claim to be into withcraft and satan worship often sport a similar goth/punk style.

where exactly did this look come from?how did it become a universally adopted "i'm into vampires" symbol?how does dressing like you're on your way to a joy division concert symbolize vampirism?
i've never seen this in any filmed portrayal of vampires.certainly not on d.s..when angelique was a vampire she was all white chiffon and golden sausage curls.the witches and other "dark" characters wore the same acid-bright cloths everyone else was wearing.
how did this style start? [blackwidow]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: vampire fashion
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 08:58:18 PM »
I doubt whether this answers your question, but in the uneven (yet often excellent) series Forever Knight (1992-95, filmed in Toronto), the vampires hung out at a Goth club, and several of them did the Goth fashion thing.  It seems to me that at this point the association between vampires and Goth fashions was already established--another film that comes to mind is "The Howling II" (1984) in which the werewolves dress and behave like Goth club kids.

Going back to the late Sixties and early Seventies, some of the modern-day films such as "Dracula A. D. 1972," "The Satanic Rites of Dracula," "The Return of Count Yorga" and even perhaps "house of Dark Shadows" seem to have contained some of the seeds of the Goth look.  There are books out documenting the history of Goth culture; perhaps that would be the place to try to pinpoint the association between this fashion style and vampirism more accurately.

Here in New England, the self-proclaimed "Official Witch of Salem" Laurie Cabot is the one who popularized the idea that Witches run around in yards of dark crushed-velvet fabric with false eyelashes above and below and enough eyeliner to sink the Lusitania.  I know a Priestess who has a shop in Salem who was trained by Cabot in the Seventies and who still dresses this way to this day--she is now a Grandmother.  She is a very sweet person and loves to share what she knows.  I've never tried to discuss the whole weird "Witch fashion" thing which I find over-the-top and unnecessary, although as my friends will tell you, I enjoy a good costume do as much as the next person!

Best wishes,

G.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 09:40:44 PM »
I think the whole "black" thing was cut in stone with the first scene of Lugosi playing "Dracula"  I would have killed for the cape worn by "Dracula's Daughter"....instead, I settled for wearing an opera cloak all through high school.

Horror movies of the 50's merely continued the basic style, without much in the way of innovation.

Copola's "Dracula" was a huge departure for it's use of color.

Regarding "Goth" as a style.....my resident teenager tells me that it was an evolution that took hold as British Punk music grew increasingly "hard core" and became heavy metal music.  The "goth' style evolved with the music.

Of course, by that point I was already a middle-aged housewife....so what do I know?..... ::)

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 10:17:17 PM »
Wasn't that band Siouxie and the Banshees responsible for making the Goth look visible in the mass media?  I pretty much spent the Eighties living in a cave so this is only a vague impression.

It seems to me that some elements of Goth style came from New Wave--punk wasn't the only influence.

But going back to the Sixties, Morticia Addams may have been the original Goth chick, vintage 1964.

G. who still mourns the early death of Carolyn Jones--another Divine One!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 11:14:46 PM »
when i was in high school i had lots of girlfriends who did the whole goth thing."nice 'n easy's" natural blue black was my personal shade for a long time.and we went to go see siouxie and the banshees...and the cure...and the smiths...and new order.you get the drift.i was definitely aware of this look as it related to the punk/new wave music scene.

but when and how did it become instantly identifiable "vampire look".what was funny about the episode of CSI was that the show's producers must have known that the way to communicate to a mass audience that these people fancied themselves vampires was to deck them out like this.

and it's funny that no one on dark shadows ever dressed like this.i guess ohrbach's didn't peddle goth wares. :P
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 05:51:56 AM »

I was heavily into the goth scene in my late teens/early 20s, and still enjoy a lot of the music (the rock 'n' roll-based stuff aka deathrock, NOT the electronic stuff).  I also still dress in black most of the time, and have a big-ass tattoo of a bat on my arm.

Goth emerged from the punk scene, as Raineypark said.  Many punk bands, like Sham 69, were becoming increasingly hardcore in the late 70s/early 80s and and some bands were even downright racist.  As an antidote to this, some bands adopted the term "positive punk" and were about rock 'n' roll and having a good time, but the music had a dark edge to it.  This post-punk music took the rage of punk and turned it inwards in a sense. It had a sort of a simmering creepiness.  The 'Batcave' club opened up and early goth/punk bands like Specimen were heavily involved with the music scene there.  Right away, in Specimen's look, you can see horror imagery.  Johnny Slut wore a huge Lily Munster-style bat necklace and dyed his mohawk jet black.  Specimen's look can best be described as punk zombies.  The dressing up was done in fun and to shock people, and bands like Siouxsie and Bauhaus obviously didn't think they were vampires or anything.  They adopted romantic horror imagery from classic terror pictures and exaggerated it to an extreme degree, as punk rock is wont to do neh?  US deathrock/goth was happening around the same time in Los Angeles with bands like 45 Grave, who also adopted exaggerated horror-film imagery in their clothing style and music.  I also must also point out the influence of glam rock on goth.  Hence the lipstick on boys, and the Bauhaus covers of 'Ziggy Stardust'.  Early goth was cool stuff I tell ya.

Now, while the characters in Universal Films, Hammer Films, German Expressionist films, or on DS never dressed like they were part of the goth subculture of course, the styles depicted in those movies and shows (particularly the more romantic vampire apparel) was very definitely adopted by the goths, and then exaggerated to an almost cartoonish degree - then, to show your punk rock stripes, often torn up a bit for fun.

In the mid to late 80s, a rift started to take place which widened even more in the 90s.  Distinct groups appeared within the goth subculture.  There are the original goths (or deathrockers if you prefer) who are in it for the rock 'n' roll and a bit of ghoulish fun, since most of us..er..them... love monster flicks and rock music.  You have the Sisters of Mercy-type goths who can mope a bit and sometimes take themselves way too seriously.  Then you have the people who listen to a lot of electronic music and EBM and also take themselves too seriously, but this time they're wearing vinyl instead of velvet.  Then, thanks mainly to Anne Rice's books, you have folks calling themselves 'goths' or 'vampires' and adopting extremely fancy dress.  Some of these folks don't seem to be in it for the music so much, but like dressing up in really fancy clothes etc. and playing LARPS (Live Action Role-Playing).  Lastly, you have the Hot Topic mall-goths who think Marilyn Manson is goth and have not a clue who Specimen, Joy Division, 45 Grave, Bauhaus and Siouxsie are.  All of these folks seem to fall under the goth label (ack!) at least as far as the media is concerned.  The media also tends to depict them all as depressed, delusional satanists who think they are vampires.  This is unfortunate, because most of the people into the whole thing just love rock 'n' roll, horror movies, and dressing up like it's Halloween.  Fun times - not the devil and depression!  Check out www.dropdeadfestival.com - you know you wanna go.   8)

~Penny Dreadful~
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 03:44:02 PM »
Penny Dreadful, that's fascinating!  That festival sounds like a lot of fun.

I should have mentioned that before Morticia on the Addams Family, Vampira (actress Maila Nurmi) in the 1950s created a look that was very ahead of its time and may have contributed to the look devised for Morticia.  Unfortunately I have read that NO video footage of Vampira's act exists, but there are plenty of photographs.

G.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 07:44:01 PM »
I should have mentioned that before Morticia on the Addams Family, Vampira (actress Maila Nurmi) in the 1950s created a look that was very ahead of its time and may have contributed to the look devised for Morticia.  Unfortunately I have read that NO video footage of Vampira's act exists, but there are plenty of photographs.

I think Charles Addams' New Yorker cartoons may have predated and/or inspired Vampira's look, but I am not sure.  Also, if one is looking for some footage of Vampira, IIRC she appeared in Plan 9 from Outer Space. :)
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2005, 08:49:14 PM »
Here's a link to a page of Vampira photos:

http://partigirl.www1.50megs.com/Vampirapix.htm

It would be interesting to know whether her act was inspired by the Charles Addams cartoons.  Both certainly owe something to the star of Dracula's Daughter.

G.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2005, 08:16:22 AM »
Here in New England, the self-proclaimed "Official Witch of Salem" Laurie Cabot is the one who popularized the idea that Witches run around in yards of dark crushed-velvet fabric with false eyelashes above and below and enough eyeliner to sink the Lusitania.

I thought Stevie Nicks started that!   ;D

Anyway, I think dark clothing suits a creature who exists only at night.  Can't imagine a vampire prowling around in a white suit a la Jay Gatsby.

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2005, 10:25:41 PM »
It would be interesting to know whether her act was inspired by the Charles Addams cartoons.  Both certainly owe something to the star of Dracula's Daughter.

I have several Charles Addams books with collections of his cartoons. They indeed predate the Vampira TV show, and as the cartoons were very well known and popular in the 1940s and 1950s, they would have been very accessible to Maila Nurmi aka Vampira. "Drawn and Quartered" was out as early as 1942. I have read that Addams was influenced by the Universal horror films of the 1930s and '40s. The original version of "Lurch" was based on Boris Karloff's Morgan in "The Old Dark House" of 1932, noting especially that early drawing sport the heavy beard of that character while later drawing look more like the TV character, still somewhat karloff-like. The woman like most of the Addams characters was not named in the comic strip, but since Addams stated "Lurch" was inspired by Karloff, I don't think its too mich as stretch to think "the woman" aka Morticia was probably inspired by characters like "Draculas Daughter."

I agree with most of the posters here that the "Goth" look as we now see it as its own subculture came out of Punk rock of the '70s and early '80s. I would note that most of the early Gothic bands, now probably in their '40s and '50s in some cases grew up contemporary with the "monster boom" of the late '50s and 1960s; Famous Monsters,   [frankie]Aurora models, Hammer films and TV shows like The Munsters, Addams Family, Bewitched and Dark Shadows. While Goth developed its present form in England moreso than America, the Batcave gang as previously noted, some American bands were setting an important precedent. Let's not disavow for example Alice Cooper with his theatrics and stage presence, songs about Dwight Frye and guillotines, or even the 1950's when Screamin' Jay Hawkins came on stage on a coffin singing about zombies and voodoo. (For that matter, Screamin' Lord Sutch of the British wave of the mid '60s with his Jekyll & Hyde era attire and songs is another forerunner.) By the time we get to Punk, you have the Cramps forming in the mid-70s, and their music, while more '50s rockabilly and '60s garage/psycedelic sound, made its impact with their look and attitude. (I still love the Cramps, even with their need to repeat themselves.) Never let the Goth snobs say Siouxsie and the Banshees, squarely in the middle of the brit-punk revolution, didn't create a cornerstone for Goth. I think another major event were the films "The Hunger" which feature cornerstone band# 2, Bauhaus, and the midnight cult of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show."  This came at a time when the cult of the Anne Rice novels was forming. From the convergence of all these things grows Goth. The dyed black hair, black clothes, black nail polish, lots of fishnet (probaby influenced heavily by Tim Curry's Dr. Frankenfurter),  the dark clubs with cobwebs and smoke. The film "the Crow" was another indication Goth had arrived in its own.  [2Bats] Think of him as being one cooler than Batman as he's actually dead.
     I think if I had been a little younger, I would have been more into this scene myself. I was more around for the Ramones, Blondie, Black Flag and the Cramps, who did influence me to wear a lot of black shirts and pants in those halcyon days.  [blackbat]
      Now as for all these young people who have formed the next wave of Goth, who are more influnced by the bands who came later, I can say while some are great fun, the Richmond band "Siddal" who are very synthy and moody are highly reccomended, some are just too literal in their attempt to create a vampyre world. I can only listen to so many droning songs about "exquiste corpses". I can say however, if I were a real vampyre, I'm not sure if I would want to hang out with these people who attempt to play at being undead 24/7 or find it convenient to hide among them. I would say, that unlike a young Goth I saw on TV, I would never be caught dead or undead running around with a feathery black mullet haircut. I might wear an 18th century suit once in a while, but not for everyday wear. I do still have a love of visiting cemetaries so I have some empathy for these folk. I think I've just grown out of the need to wear a t-shirt or other look to advertise my favorite bank day in, day out. I think Morrissey once said something like "Those who's are unsatisfied with their art tend to try to make themselves into their art."  And while I can kind of deal with pepole who might share a small amout of blood drinking in a committed, if kinky relationship, I don't think its a good idea at all to do that rather randomly. Just too dangerous nowadays. Let's say I might enjoy doing an actual seance but not any attempts to conjure up any real demons.  [firedevil]

Michael
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2005, 02:16:35 AM »

One of my favorite Halloween costumes. Used several variations of this over a number of years. ;)

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2005, 05:07:17 AM »

Great costume Mark!

TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2005, 05:47:08 AM »
One of my favorite Halloween costumes.

Ha ha ha ha ha, LOVE it!

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2005, 06:24:56 AM »
Great post CyrusL.  You really said it all.   [clap] [clap]

I never hooked into the goth dress as an everyday style of dress.  I love pink far too much to ever do that!  But, I do love my dose of spooky horror to be sure nonetheless.

What an awesome costume Mark Rainey. You handsome devil. [diablo]