Author Topic: Modern Woman  (Read 2734 times)

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
Re: Modern Woman
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2005, 08:51:59 PM »
I can see Carolyn taking over the feet and cannery before I see her becoming a parapsychologist.  Her only interest in the "other world" seemed confined to unwittingly dating its denizens.  She also seems to have become more serious and grown up as the series went on, and I could definitely see her running things.  I imagine her running the business with an assist from David.  Actually, David seems more likely to go the parapsychologist route, considering his propensity for coming into contact with the supernatural.  I think Jamison Selby was on the right track with turning the character into an archaeologist.  I see him becoming more of a Mulder (X-Files) type, retaining a somewhat child-like curiosity and fascination with the mysterious.  I see a Liz and Roger situation - like Liz, Carolyn would run things and like Roger, David would sort of help out.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2005, 09:01:24 PM »
I meant taking over the FLEET, not the FEET.  :P  :)
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2005, 09:44:16 PM »
I meant taking over the FLEET, not the FEET.

Not to worry - I think we all knew that.  ;)  In fact, I was in a warmhearted mood (which you can't always count on  :D) and was going to add the missing "l" to your post - but then I noticed that you'd posted your own correction.

As for Carolyn going into parapsychology, I can see it. During the Summer of '70 storyline, the writers did seem to be laying the groundwork for Carolyn's realization that she is the reincarnation of Leticia Faye (which Sam Hall also mentions in his article), and I can definitely see Carolyn investigating that possibility with Prof. Stokes. Though, at the same time, that needn't have prevented her from also getting into the Collins businesses. In ep #268, Liz tells Roger that both Carolyn and David will always be her heirs. And while I don't believe there's ever a point in the series in which Liz actually explains who gets what, something tells me Liz planned for Carolyn to have some sort of place in the businesses - particularly after Carolyn was able to run them so well while Liz was in the hospital after her confrontation with Laura and when Liz was believed to be dead.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2005, 10:02:24 PM »
As for Carolyn going into parapsychology, I can see it. During the Summer of '70 storyline, the writers did seem to be laying the groundwork for Carolyn's realization that she is the reincarnation of Leticia Faye (which Sam Hall also mentions in his article), and I can definitely see Carolyn investigating that possibility with Prof. Stokes. Though, at the same time, that needn't have prevented her from also getting into the Collins businesses.

Oh, I can totally see her pursuing parapsychology. The time, the place, the fact that she didn't have external pressures on her to find a real job--all very much her kind of style. She's one of those people who need to be forced down a career path--probably by some external circumstantial pressures. Left to her own devices, she's the kind of person who would flit around aimlessly until it was too late and she was a total flake. I have nothing against parapsychology, but I don't think Carolyn would have been anymore devoted to that than she was to anything else.

Butgiven the right circumstances (e.g. there's nobody else to take charge or she gets shamed into it), I can see her pursuing and succeeding at something like the family business.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2005, 07:12:40 AM »
During the Summer of '70 storyline, the writers did seem to be laying the groundwork for Carolyn's realization that she is the reincarnation of Leticia Faye

Good point!  I had forgotten about that plot thread.  As Luciaphil  points out though, I don't think she'd remain devoted to the pursuit of preternatural phenomena.  I see David going down that path moreso than Carolyn.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2005, 05:12:29 PM »
     I cannot picture Carolyn wanting to run a stinky sardine cannery.  I bet poor Roger wished every day that he hadn't blown his inheritance and got stuck there.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer