Author Topic: The Original THAT DARN CAT! Headed to DVD on May 3rd  (Read 6453 times)

ClaudeNorth

The Original THAT DARN CAT! Headed to DVD on May 3rd
« on: February 01, 2005, 02:23:37 PM »
According to http://www.dvdjournal.com, Buena Vista Home Video will be releasing the original version of THAT DARN CAT! on DVD, along with other selections from the Disney back catalog, on May 3rd.  TDC!  features our Divine One as a kidnap victim.  Fire up the DVD Capture, kids!

Also, the complete first season of KOJAK is being released on DVD in March.  Grayson appeared in an episode from, I believe, the second season, so if sales of the first season are strong enough, then the second season should be released.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
Re: The Original THAT DARN CAT! Headed to DVD on May 3rd
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 03:54:30 PM »
Also, the complete first season of KOJAK is being released on DVD in March.  Grayson appeared in an episode from, I believe, the second season, so if sales of the first season are strong enough, then the second season should be released.

DS fans have plenty of reason to be interested in the first season set. John Karlen, Michael McGuire, Lara Parker, and Dennis Patrick all made appearances in the first season of Kojak. (David Selby appears in the fourth season.)

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Bette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 05:25:25 PM »
According to http://www.dvdjournal.com, Buena Vista Home Video will be releasing the original version of THAT DARN CAT! on DVD, along with other selections from the Disney back catalog, on May 3rd.  TDC!  features our Divine One as a kidnap victim.  Fire up the DVD Capture, kids!

Oh, Jean-Claude, I love you.  :-*   [cheerleader]

Been waiting for That Darn Cat to be released on DVD. Now, if we could just get Night of the Iguana on DVD. . . [confused_ani]

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: The Original THAT DARN CAT! w/ dom meanders OT
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 07:03:30 PM »
Been waiting for That Darn Cat to be released on DVD. Now, if we could just get Night of the Iguana on DVD. . .

It's almost as if there is a boycott of Tennessee Williams product (that I want, lol) to DVD. I really like a lot of his work turned film. But not much of it (that I'd like to purchase) seems to be available on DVD. A real head scratcher to me. I asked for DVDs of Williams work for x-mas and all I got were VHS products. IIRC, only Suddenly Last Summer was available on DVD from my list.

I keep seeing That Darn Cat listed on cable but it always the remake. The same for Gargoyles, Grayson is in that also, isn't she? But the Gargoyles I see listed on cable is always a cartoon (I believe). I've been hoping to catch both films on TV for a long while now. I loathe Disney movies from the 60s and I'd absolutely hate having to sit through TDC, but I really would like to see Grayson in something other than DS. I was fortunate enough to see Satan in High Heels. What a hoot!

I imagine it has to do with money (doesn't it always?). Even if it's that there isn't a decent print left to put on a DVD, there's probably no money to restore it, or at least it's not at the top of anyone's list. NOTI is one of my all-times faves.

...And the DS movies have not been released to DVD, correct? It is amazing sometimes what has been released on DVD as opposed to what has.

The happiest day of my life will be when 1958's Attack of the 50 Foot Woman is released to DVD. Dare I expect Curse of the Faceless Man (also 1958) as well?  ::)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: The Original THAT DARN CAT! w/ dom meanders OT
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 07:20:23 PM »
The happiest day of my life will be when 1958's Attack of the 50 Foot Woman is released to DVD. Dare I expect Curse of the Faceless Man (also 1958) as well?  ::)

Rainey  [rofl10]

Hang in there, dom!.....I believe every square inch of viable film ever shot will eventually make its way to DVD.....right before DVDs cease to exist because we've moved on to the Next Big Format....whateverthehell that turns out to be....!  ;)

"Attack of the 50 Foot Woman" eh?  That's right up there with "The Crawling Eye"....one of my personal faves......Bwahaha!!

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 11:36:12 PM »
I also agree with the oddity of DVD releases. Sometimes its more interesting what's not out there than what is. Interestingly, the trailer for Night of the Iguana was included on "The Man Who Would be King", which had a collection of trailers from John Huston films. What comes out on DVD and what doesn't is usually decided at the labels by what they feel is the demand first, and availability second. Some titles have rights issues, for example "The Old Dark House" with Boris Karloff was originally releases by Universal pictures, but the DVD is on Image as Universal no longer owns the film. I have to wonder if few Tennessee Williams movies are out if there's some kind of ownership rights issues.
      The TV movie with Grayson, "Gargoyles" is out on DVD and I've seen it at both Suncoast and Best Buy at various times. Grayson I believe is listed on the box but not on the front. The label is VCI. "Satan in High Heels" is also out on Something Weird video.
      By the way, Thayer David's "Journey to the Center of the Earth" is out on MGM, but I heard there may a be a "special edition" down the line. The other thing about DVDs is it seems one version is never enough. As soon as you buy the movie, the 32 and 1/2 Anniversay edition is out. I hope when (not if) House & Night come out, we get all the marbles and we don't have to get a second edition with new commentary tracks and newly discovered alternate trailers, but what the heck, I've bought several things twice.

Michael
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 11:58:37 PM »
      The TV movie with Grayson, "Gargoyles" is out on DVD and I've seen it at both Suncoast and Best Buy at various times. Grayson I believe is listed on the box but not on the front.

The thing that pissed me off about the Gargoyles DVD is that Grayson isn't included in the actors' bio section along with Cornel Wilde, Jennifer Salt and Bernie Casey, the three other main stars of the movie. But I suppose being an Academy Award Nominee doesn't count as much as it once did.  ::)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2005, 12:03:34 AM »
Holy Cow! The Head Gargoyle got a bio, but not the brilliant drunk lady???

To quote Grayson herself:  "who can figure ANYTHING?"

G.

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2005, 12:27:26 AM »
According to http://www.dvdjournal.com, Buena Vista Home Video will be releasing the original version of THAT DARN CAT!

Ohhh...Thanks for the heads-up, J-C!   ;D   :-*  Now if 'Iguana' would be released on DVD, I'd be in heaven...

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline yendor

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2005, 03:08:48 AM »
Gee, I wonder what Tennessee Williams films you want that aren't on DVD yet--A Streetcar Named Desire and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof have been released, along with Suddenly, Last Summer. Those seem to be the heavy-hitters in his catalog.  What else is there, besides stuff like Boom?

Rod

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2005, 06:23:31 AM »
Gee, I wonder what Tennessee Williams films you want that aren't on DVD yet--A Streetcar Named Desire and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof have been released, along with Suddenly, Last Summer. Those seem to be the heavy-hitters in his catalog.  What else is there, besides stuff like Boom?

I'd be the first in line for BOOM!

NIGHT OF THE IGUANA was one of the twenty films in Warner Brothers' original "DVD Decision" consumer poll.  Supposedly, the top five vote getters would be released in January of 2004, with the other fifteen arriving later in the year.  NOTI was one of the other fifteen, but has yet to arrive.  Hopefully it will turn up this year.

Offline yendor

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2005, 03:14:51 PM »
Boom! is considered one of the worst movies ever made! It destroyed the momentum Liz and Dick had built from Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf and tagged them the camp duo of the 60's. As for Night of the Iguana, that's also a lesser Williams work. The biggies have always been Streetcar, The Glass Menagerie, and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.  Not only were they all made into classic big screen films, with truly unforgettable performances (think Brando), they've be remade again and again. I don't think Boom! has been remade. And neither has Night of the Iguana.

Maybe that's why you're not seeing them on DVD, as of yet. But rest assured, they'll show up. There are literally thousands of movies not yet released to dvd. House of DS and Night of DS, for two. Bette Davis and Joan Crawford, two major actresses, are poorly represented on DVD. Here's just a short list of films that have yet to be released:

(1) The Nanny (Davis)
(2) All This and Heaven Too (Davis)
(3) Cinderella (Disney)
(4) Song of the South (Disney)
(5) Possessed (Crawford)
(6) I'll Cry Tomorrow (Susan Hayward)
(7) Laura
(8 ) Berserk (Crawford)
(9) The Uninvited (Ray Milland)
(10) The Heiress (Olivia deHavilland)
(11) Letter From an Unknown Woman (Joan Fontaine)
(12) Jane Eyre (Fontaine)
(13) The Innocents (Deborah Kerr)
(14) Equus (Burton)
(15) Johnny Guitar (Joan Crawford)
(16) Mr. Skeffington (Davis)
(17) To Each his Own (deHavilland)
(18) many, many Doris Day films
(19) Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte (Davis)
(20) The Anniversary (Davis)

The list goes on and on. It seems that most films from 1980 on up are on DVD. The older, classic films have slowly but surely been released. Before Night of the Iguana, I want the two DS movies on DVD!

Rod

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2005, 05:19:28 PM »
I want Old Acquaintance (Bette Davis vs. Miriam Hopkins), in ANY format.

As for Boom!, its brilliant elan and maverick kick-in-the-guts disregard for bourgeois conventions of narrative, characterization, and an audience's ability to withstand pages of Liz Taylor's shrillest invective, have placed it far beyond the pale of conventional standards of excellence.

But I digress...

G.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2005, 09:15:15 PM »
I haven't seen THAT DARN CAT! in years, so I can't remember if Grayson has any dialogue at all.  How cruel of the powers that be at Disney to deprive audiences of the Divine One's distinctive voice.

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2005, 10:20:38 PM »
How cruel of the powers that be at Disney to deprive audiences of the Divine One's distinctive voice.
Claude, you may be interested that around the time Grayson did "That Darn Cat", she by legend did do a special voice project for Disney/Buena Vista records, the Halloween favorite, "Chilling,Thrilling Sounds of the Haunted House" LP. My ex roomate researched this one for a few years and last year got a letter from Disney/BV confirming it was Grayson on ths Halloween perrenial. So, those audio stories we grew up with, with her disctinctintice voice stating how bold we were, "Afraid of...nothing" can still be found seasonally on cassette. Used record stores are loaded with well worn and scratchy copies of these. The format, for those unfamiliar, was a narrator, our Grayson, gave a spooky spoken intro to a tale finished only with sound effects. These effects are familiar and local haunted houses have used them for almost 4 decades.

Michael
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul