Author Topic: The Original THAT DARN CAT! Headed to DVD on May 3rd  (Read 6494 times)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Re: The Original THAT DARN CAT! Headed to DVD on May 3rd
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2005, 03:05:22 PM »
That is indeed the album that's only turntable right now (yes, I have a turntable--I'm 52!). And as for "evidence," I can only go by my own ears, and sorry, but it doesn't sound like Grayson to me. And I honestly can't see how anyone can say it is once they've listened to it. Let's see some "evidence" where Grayson said she did the record! That would put an end to the discussion, eh, wot?

okay go buy yourself the August 1970 edition of Better Homes and Gardens. . .it's part of an interview she gave.
Julia99

Offline yendor

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2005, 03:20:30 PM »
Hmm...so the "evidence" of Grayson's involvement with this record is in a 35 year old magazine. Oookay.

Rod

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2005, 03:47:21 PM »
Hmm...so the "evidence" of Grayson's involvement with this record is in a 35 year old magazine. Oookay.

The age of the article likely makes it MORE  acurate....not less.  She's talking about something that just took place......not reminiscing  about something that took place 35 years before.

As for the recording not sounding like her.....that's most often explained by the fact that it is a record, not a tape or a CD that you're listening to.  The recording may have been sped up to meet the timing requirements for the entire album.

I know about that....I still listen to records on a turntable myself.  ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline yendor

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2005, 05:30:32 PM »
If the "proof" that Grayson did this album is contained in a 35 year old magazine interview, why doesn't anyone post the article? How do we all know that Grayson even gave such an interview? I don't have the magazine in front of me to verify. It's not on the Internet. In fact, there's absolutely NOTHING on the web connecting Grayson with this recording.

Even with the delivery "sped up" for a record, the vocal inflections is all wrong. Listen to the narrator when she says the fuse is going out: "I'll blow it into life," she says--and no way is that Grayson.

Until I read the actual interview, it's all conjecture...or faulty memory. Where are the facts? I think people like to "wishful think," and that's fine. Stuff like that adds to legends, right?

Rod ;D

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
*Please Read* Re: The Original THAT DARN CAT!
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2005, 06:39:57 PM »
The discussion in this topic of the voice on the recording is open to anyone who hasn't already shared their opinion about it, or to those who have already posted but have new information to share.  Otherwise, here's the guideline that addresses prolonged argumentation:

these disagreements should not be continued beyond the normal limits of interesting discourse. Argument for argument's sake is not welcome.

That having been said, I checked and don't have the article, but if anyone would like to scan the pertinent section and send it, I'd be happy to type and post it for you.  If you need my personal email addy, please PM me.

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Julia99

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2005, 06:58:37 PM »
I looked there, J99, but I didn't see it.

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2005, 07:08:17 PM »
There are several of Grayson's articles there but not the one i'm thinking of and frankly, i'm not compelled to dig any further--
Julia99

Offline yendor

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2005, 10:21:09 PM »
I also went through the archive and found nothing about Grayson's involvement with that record. Nice articles, tho!  ;D Thanks for posting them!

Guess we'll just chalk all of this to Urban Legend.

Rod

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2005, 12:10:37 AM »
Guess we'll just chalk all of this to Urban Legend.

yendor, no one said that site was the definitive source of articles about Grayson Hall.  And I've heard from a few people that have seen the article in private collections.  If it's located it will be posted, but your comments have gone past the point of being argumentative.

As I stated above, if you're not adding to the discussion with what you have to say, please refrain from posting it or your first official warning will be issued.

Offline yendor

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2005, 12:59:04 AM »
Point taken, Midnite!

Rod ;D

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2005, 01:58:23 AM »
I have found a website which talks about this album, even shows the two covers, orange and gray. According to the site, which I believe belongs to Doombuggy, who was a member here, the uncredited voice is the voice of a woman named Laura Olsher.
Go to:

www.doombuggies.com/media_audio.htm    Scroll down to the Thrilling, chilling, etc.  The audio clip included on the website is definitely the voice on MY copy of the record.

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2005, 02:07:35 AM »
I have found a website which talks about this album, even shows the two covers, orange and gray. According to the site, which I believe belongs to Doombuggy, who was a member here, the uncredited voice is the voice of a woman named Laura Olsher.
Go to:

www.doombuggies.com/media_audio.htm    Scroll down to the Thrilling, chilling, etc.  The audio clip included on the website is definitely the voice on MY copy of the record.

Interesting, Bette. Thanks!  The webmaster of DoomBuggies.com goes by the name Chef Mayhem, and I don't believe he's our doombuggy69.

Offline yendor

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2005, 02:54:57 AM »
Excellent info, Bette! You've cleared up the mystery!  ;)

Rod

Offline yendor

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2005, 04:54:07 PM »
I wanted to modify my last post, but I guess the time limit has expired! Anyway, I did some research on "Laura Olsher" and found some interesting tidbits. It seems Ms. Olsher narrated quite a few Disney recordings in the 60's, the Haunted House one included. She also did the voice of "Mrs. Cratchit" in "Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol," which I just watched last Christmas. Last night, I popped it into my DVD player and voila! I heard the same voice from the record!

Ms. Olsher also recorded those foreign language records we had in french class during the 60's...the one's that would start out "Ecoute!" Does anyone else remember those? I thought her voice sounded terribly familiar.

Rod ;)

[Text edited by Midnite]
 argumentative despite repeated warning; posts inflammatory comments despite repeated warnings